Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowombat View Post
Incorrect, it absolutely is needed and here's why:

No not to make it harder ot punish bad play or incentivize skilled players or alienate carebares etc etc, the reason is the frickin' exchange. Everyone in this game keeps all the money they make in circulation because absolutely nothing removes it from circulation consistently. Unless Cryptic things ground combat is so hard that everyone blows through cash buying hypos, the currency will inflate exponensially as all money spent on the exchange stays in the system.

This game needs a dp that removes energy credits and heres the best suggestions as it's straight from cannon:

ammo consumption. - When you die your weapons lose 10% charge causing no impact on them, however when it's down to 0% they drop to half damage until their "power cells" are replaced which can be done through your replicator for a modest sum of credits. Then you can go to your ship's replimat and hold up the spent power cell like sisko and say "this is not something to be thrown away" and make a row of them displayed proudly on the wall. Straight out of canon, no uneccesary time wasting, just what the doctor ordered.
and here is what it boils down to. the money. yeah, sure, forget the fact that we're paying 15 bucks a month on a 60 dollar game. I simply don't make enough EC because I don't play *that much*. I'd like to just log in, play a few missions, log out, and not worry about losing progress with anything just because i got zerged by klingons, or in PvP because people don't know how to work together. I have a hard enough time making credits as it is.

and if its going to be about the money.... think of it like this:

People are selling things on the exchange for far more than what the product is worth. up to 10 times the value of the item for sale. I've seen, no crap, a mk4 disruptor array for 30k. F-that. It's not worth 5k. It's these A-Jacks that are screwing up your ideal economy, not combat. Leave the Death Penalty out, fix the exchange, and we'll be fine
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerizer
Leave the Death Penalty out, fix the exchange, and we'll be fine
- QFT
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
They should just make the penalty an option, if you want to get all tore up, all power to you. If you don't, then that's ok, don't impose your fetish for penalties on me
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
and here is what it boils down to. the money. yeah, sure, forget the fact that we're paying 15 bucks a month on a 60 dollar game. I simply don't make enough EC because I don't play *that much*. I'd like to just log in, play a few missions, log out, and not worry about losing progress with anything just because i got zerged by klingons, or in PvP because people don't know how to work together. I have a hard enough time making credits as it is.

and if its going to be about the money.... think of it like this:

People are selling things on the exchange for far more than what the product is worth. up to 10 times the value of the item for sale. I've seen, no crap, a mk4 disruptor array for 30k. F-that. It's not worth 5k. It's these A-Jacks that are screwing up your ideal economy, not combat. Leave the Death Penalty out, fix the exchange, and we'll be fine
the REASON the prices are so high for crap is because by even mid game people have way more money than they could hope to spend on reasonably priced things. Everyone can get gear from badges so the money just piles. As people get end game and roll alts they will send millions of credits down to starting characters and further drive up the price of everything.

We need a DP money sink along with other money sinks (I think free ships as you lvl up is stupid, by each tier you should be able to afford the new ship or else not get it)
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
No. No No No No No. You obviously are not like everybody else, and do not die a billion times per PvP match or per away team mission. It's great that you don't, I'm proud of you, and these are good idea's, they are, but you know, some of us die too much for death penalty to be practical.

Death Penalty is exactly why I don't play World of ********. being your ghost, finding your body is total BS and detracts from the rest of gameplay. Star Trek Online is practically revolutionary with not including death penalties as every MMO I played has had something that is a royal turn off. And I'm saying this now because for the handful of people being vocal about including Death Penalty is getting Cryptics attention, whereas the vast majority of people really don't want Death Penalty, but don't come to the forums and won't challenge the 9 people pushing for it.

No Death Penalty. Please. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us too busy enjoying the game to come on to the forums to complain about whats wrong with it.
Well, since this is as close to constructive feedback as I've seen in this thread, I guess I'll respond to this one.

I'm pretty sure there are many like me, who blew through all the PvE content with no difficulty at all. I only died three times. Twice on the ground to Guard Captains, and once in space when I let the AI kill me because I spawned inside of an object and couldn't move. I might have died once more, to a Swordmaster zerg...I'm not sure.

At any rate, I would be OVERJOYED to help other people develop the ability to trounce PvE content. It is not hard, once you get it down.

As for PvP...you are correct, the point in PvP is to kill and die multiple times. So, perhaps Death Penalties should be suspended in PvP. Personally, I've given up on PvP, as at T5 it is only Crowd Control. If the viable tactics are diversified in the future, I might return to it.

At any rate, the WoW DP is slightly annoying, as it is a time sink. However, I've never found it a problem. Especially in late game, when you rarely have to run back to your corpse, due to players knowing the right way to wipe. When I have had to run back, I've actually found the short time helpful, as it gives me a bit to clear my thoughts, and try to come up with ways to get around whatever wiped us.

I suspect there are more than 9 people "pushing" for it. I have merely offered a suggestion on a light and painless form of Death Penalty. Me PERSONALLY, couldn't care less either way, so long as it isn't anything close to the pain of EvE's system. EvE death penalty is the realm of sadists and masochists, and would be financial suicide for Cryptic to implement anything close to that level of cruelty.

I'm trying to present constructive feedback. I'm sure you can find true whining and complaining posts around here, with a simple and short look.

Perhaps making Death Penalty a part of the difficulty slider? So at the current low difficulty, there would be no penalty, but at higher levels the penalty would exist.

See? CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Not that hard. :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
this is exactly the death penelaty that should be used
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Well, since this is as close to constructive feedback as I've seen in this thread, I guess I'll respond to this one.

I'm pretty sure there are many like me, who blew through all the PvE content with no difficulty at all. I only died three times. Twice on the ground to Guard Captains, and once in space when I let the AI kill me because I spawned inside of an object and couldn't move. I might have died once more, to a Swordmaster zerg...I'm not sure.

At any rate, I would be OVERJOYED to help other people develop the ability to trounce PvE content. It is not hard, once you get it down.

As for PvP...you are correct, the point in PvP is to kill and die multiple times. So, perhaps Death Penalties should be suspended in PvP. Personally, I've given up on PvP, as at T5 it is only Crowd Control. If the viable tactics are diversified in the future, I might return to it.

At any rate, the WoW DP is slightly annoying, as it is a time sink. However, I've never found it a problem. Especially in late game, when you rarely have to run back to your corpse, due to players knowing the right way to wipe. When I have had to run back, I've actually found the short time helpful, as it gives me a bit to clear my thoughts, and try to come up with ways to get around whatever wiped us.

I suspect there are more than 9 people "pushing" for it. I have merely offered a suggestion on a light and painless form of Death Penalty. Me PERSONALLY, couldn't care less either way, so long as it isn't anything close to the pain of EvE's system. EvE death penalty is the realm of sadists and masochists, and would be financial suicide for Cryptic to implement anything close to that level of cruelty.

I'm trying to present constructive feedback. I'm sure you can find true whining and complaining posts around here, with a simple and short look.

Perhaps making Death Penalty a part of the difficulty slider? So at the current low difficulty, there would be no penalty, but at higher levels the penalty would exist.

See? CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Not that hard. :p
I'm so glad you didn't take my post as trolling as I could have been more constructive.

I agree with everything said. If it were optional or dependant on a difficulty slider, that I could agree with. Whole heartedly. But I'd rather not the game be made harder for me, as I have a family and come to games for fun, not just challenge. I guess I'm just afraid that Cryptic will be like SOE and take every bit of feedback and continue to change the game until it becomes a completely different game than what we bought.

thats ultimately what I'm afraid of
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
I'll try to keep this short. This is just a quick and dirty suggestion in five brief points.

Losing crew in combat seems to have little to no practical effect. So...

1 - Crew do not refill automatically when killed. Injured crew can refill, but dead crew should NOT. Perhaps some BOff powers to help with the healing of injured crew? Medical teams, and the ability to beam crew between ships, can also be added.

2 - Living crew should affect every system on a starship, not just hull regeneration. As you lose crew, your weapons, shields, engines, perhaps also power systems degrade in ability. Floor should be about 65% degradation, with a minimum crew value (skeleton crew). System effectiveness is based on living and UNINJURED crew ONLY. Injured crew do not count towards effectiveness, until healed.

3 - When you die, you respawn with 75% of the crew you had at the time of your death. So, if you had 1000 crew when you died, then you would respawn with 750. If you die again, this time with 750 crew, you respawn with 562, etc. This continues until you reach the minimum crew value for your ship (skeleton crew).

4 - Crew can be restocked at a starbase of your faction. Fly up to the starbase, select "Rinforce Crew" from the dock master interface (would need a button). Confirmation screen with price then pops up. Price can be in merits, energy credits..whatever. I would prefer energy credits, to add a credit sink to the economy. It can represent the time, effort, and resources that Starfleet (or the KDF) expends to train the crew.

5 - All PvP maps should contain one starbase for each faction, with defenses around it. This is for the replacement of crew. All sector blocks should contain at least one starbase for each faction that owns that sector block. Perhaps even one starbase per sector. Starbase ownership would switch if Cryptic figures out a way to have persistent PvP warzones.
I want to thank you for your well reason ideas for a death plenty but I think there needs to be a middle ground between the death plenty you have suggested and no death plenties. I also don't think PvP should have death plenties for a few reasons, but my main one is that PvP should not cost you money if you wish to be involved in it. Also Deep Space mission if you happen for fly across one in Space that has not be open should not send you into a direct combat.

I like the idea of restocking the crew at Starbase, I have doubts of what fun it will add to the game. If I have to constantly run back to a Starbase for new crew if I die a lot on a particular mission and I am unable to get back to the instance where I left off at, this will be a big hassle and will be harder to keep people interested in the game. Cryptic would also have to make they Transwarp to a lower cool down and be able to set the Transwarp function to a Starbase of your chosing, I just don't see that happening.

I will hold off judgement of a death plenty till I see what Cryptic has in mind from their State of the game address it does look like they have something in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I've always thought that when someone dies they should just have an across the board 10% cut in effectiveness of everything. Weapons do 90% damage, shields at 90% cap, skills 90% buff/duration, etc. This penalty lasts for a reasonable, but not game killing amount of time. Say... 3-5 minutes? If you die again during the time while you have a death penalty active, it stacks. So 10% becomes 20%, and the timer refreshes back to full. Eventually - at say 50% max, you're pretty much combat ineffective. This should pretty much limit people from continually employing zerg rush tactics in fleet actions; but not cripple anyone doing missions in that the time isn't that long, and almost every mission has a 'safe' spawn point - DSEs and some exploration missions not included - where they could, if needed, just sit out for a few minutes to allow the penalty to expire.

As to how this would work in PVP - I have no opinion there, as I've not done pvp content.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2010, 02:09 PM
You want a death penalty? Feel you just can't live without suffering if you die? Dismiss a bridge officer when you fail to survive an encounter if it will make you feel better. Can't stand not losing system performance upon the destruction of your ship? Pull some systems from the ship layout to your inventory and feel the inefficiency! Heck for that matter delete them! Want to scourge your energy credit balance for your ship's untimely demise? Go to the exchange, buy something for a few hundred thousand (million?) credits then sell it back to an NPC.

Do what ever you want to yourself to enhance YOUR game enjoyment but stay the heck out of MY game play enjoyment. Time sink death penalties waste what little play time I have. I'm not paying to sit and twiddle my thumbs while my performance penalty expires. Likewise for an Energy Credit death penalty. I pay to play this enjoyable game to relaxe, have fun and lament that nothing like this existed in my youth. :p

And no, I don't die very often, but I play with my wife, and we get to play maybe a couple hours a night if we're lucky. Don't waste our time with death penalties. There is plenty of death and taxes in the real world to have to deal with it in the virtual world.