Lt. Commander
# 1 Problem:Me or the game
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I have been playing for a couple of weeks and while it is a bit slow in some areas I enjoy the game and am going to give the devs a chance to add content so this is not a rant or a major complaint.

But the lag for me has been horrible since the patch last week end (Friday or Saturday I think).

I'd never had any problem prior to this, but now it is nearly unplayable. It starts out ok but by the time I'm into my first battle, either ground or space, the lag hits. I try and turn a quarter turn and turn for 2 revs. I trya dn run and keep running into a wall, finally stopping.

I've tried restarting my computer, relogging, cleaning caches and all of the normal fixes. I know the internet on my end is ok because when it gets so bad I say the **ll with it I log into another space MMO and have no problems at all. It is one that tends to be known for lag monsters in certain systems.

So can anyone either offer any suggestions on things I might try or corborate that that you are having lag also.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoran
I have been playing for a couple of weeks and while it is a bit slow in some areas I enjoy the game and am going to give the devs a chance to add content so this is not a rant or a major complaint.

But the lag for me has been horrible since the patch last week end (Friday or Saturday I think).

I'd never had any problem prior to this, but now it is nearly unplayable. It starts out ok but by the time I'm into my first battle, either ground or space, the lag hits. I try and turn a quarter turn and turn for 2 revs. I trya dn run and keep running into a wall, finally stopping.

I've tried restarting my computer, relogging, cleaning caches and all of the normal fixes. I know the internet on my end is ok because when it gets so bad I say the **ll with it I log into another space MMO and have no problems at all. It is one that tends to be known for lag monsters in certain systems.

So can anyone either offer any suggestions on things I might try or corborate that that you are having lag also.

Thanks
Best guesses:

update your nvideo or ATI drivers (do it on their website its really fast and easy)
close down any background programs (skype, pr0nz, other games, etc.) if the issue still persists
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Also, in-game reset all your video settings to default.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Also, in-game reset all your video settings to default.
This ^^

You need to play with your graphics settings. They are probably set too high. They did do a patch I believe awhile back that did something with the graphics. It was an update of some sort I believe.

So you need to adjust your graphic settings until the game runs smooth for you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
All drivers were updated the day I started playing the game. So less than two weeks.

No other programs open while playing.

The graphics settings are set basically in the middle. They have not been changed since game was installed.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll check it all when I get home today but has all been checked recently.

The thing that irritates me is that it has not lagged at all until this past weekend. That is what makes me wonder if it is something on the server side and not my side.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Check your Proxy Server as well, as something in one of the recent patches might have changed its setting.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I had the same problem when I first started the game so I updated my video drivers and have not had a problem since, but with this weekend patch I am now getting the update your drivers message again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
how fast are you connecting or getting into the game?
let me explain a tiny bit
when i connect normaly the retrieving list of characters lasts a fraction of a second and after selecting my toon i usualy get into the game fairly quickly. at certain times of the day if i dont use a proxy logging in will usualy take its sweet time (even with one of the proxys on it can as well) after entering the game the lag will be higher than normal. simply put for me at least slow logging on and entering the game results in higher lag

resolution 1 if your not using a proxy select the proxy closest to your location
resolution 2 with a proxy on if it takes time to retrieve the list of characters, and logon, take a note of the proxy which is being used at the bottom left of the screen close STO and logon again it should pick the next best proxy server if its still the same proxy rince and re-wash untill either the connection is quicker or you have another proxy which should mean your connecting quicker
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 03:00 PM
i'd offer you one of my favourite tools but they seem to have disabled it for the time being

i can still point you towards a couple of little tips that'll go towards helping narrow down if its the connection or a local machine lag.

first one is /showfps 1

this puts a little number up in the top right corner, showing the frames per second your running at, normally when graphics are too high the number will be low almost constantly, around 18 fps feels jerky and juddery, when it drops lower than that its really noticable. i'd normally suggest trying this with the command /netgraph 1 which gives you a ping graph of your connection to the server. drops in fps coupled with spikes in the ping graph would indicate a connection problem where as drops in fps with no spikes would show a local machine lagging problem, like a setting too high somewhere.

another one to look at and keep an eye on over a short period of time however is /showmem 1 which gives you a read of how much memory the game is using at that time, could be you're picking up a memory leak thats eating up RAM and causing the lag. keep your eye on that for a good few minutes and see if there's any jumps in memory use during what you feel is the lag, as again this is a reasonable indicator of system problems with the client.

i'd also suggest opening up the troubleshooting section in the video options and having a look at some of the options in there, the tooltips if you hover of them are fairly good and you might spot something in there you can turn off or on which may help i recently switched mine to using multi-threaded CPU's based on the tooltip in there and its help improve the game for me looks wise as i could squeeze some more out of the other options with it running like that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoran
The graphics settings are set basically in the middle. They have not been changed since game was installed.
As others have said, whenever game video settings are updated through a patch or hotfix, you might need to reset your local client's video settings.

Note that 'middle' settings are greater than default. Defaults are '100%' according to the slider indicators, but this is close to the left (starting) end of the sliders.

Also, in your game settings, check the Troubleshooting menu and see if the client is taking full advantage of your processing power. You may need to turn off certain settings, or enable CPU or FPS constraints, within that menu.