Lt. Commander
# 11
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
EVE online.

It's not Star Trek, but it's a great example of a massive, single-shard space game. It even has exploration and full 3D movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -avery
Both of these would be awesome.

EVE allowed a full map in which you could go anywhere... without damn load screens every 2 seconds!

I loved Unity because it gave you options to choose on what you said which would determine the course of your actions.

...STO kinda does this, except the only multiple option is Destroy Pleading Klingon Ship.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Star Trek: Judgment Rites.
seconded, it got a lot right IMO. Hopefully my answers in the survey reflected my want for things like this game had (as much as it could without any comments section)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Their own MMO...and no, I'm not kidding.

Play your own game, see its strengths and weaknesses from a paying player's point of view not a DEV or QA point of view. If I ran Cryptic everyone from the office asst./secretary to the VP of whatever would be playing. It would be mandatory.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Starfleet Command 1. SFC 2 was slightly annoying in some aspects and 3 was too dumbed down for my taste.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Klingon Academy.

Yes Cryptic, Klingons can have stories. Its been done before.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
EVE online.

It's not Star Trek, but it's a great example of a massive, single-shard space game. It even has exploration and full 3D movement.
And the dullest PvE gameplay in the universe. Including their Exploration content.

Eve gets away with a massive empty world because the players fill it. The expectations are different for a Star Trek game. There needs to be Trek there first, and even adding sparse actual content requires exponentially more effort. I would like STO to add sand to the box as time goes on, but they needed to fill in actual universe stuff instead of Eve's cut&paste on galactic scale.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenVoodoo View Post

Play your own game, see its strengths and weaknesses from a paying player's point of view not a DEV or QA point of view. If I ran Cryptic everyone from the office asst./secretary to the VP of whatever would be playing. It would be mandatory.
^^ This too, good point Voodoo. I

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:

I agree with this post.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Star Trek Armada (I or II, i dont care)
Star Trek Elite force

maybe then they'll get their persistant world/fleet actiont and ground combat playstyles right.

Their ground combat looks like it was based on star trek away team, which wasn't that good to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:

They have been, since long before Closed Beta. They made their own in-house shard and all employees were connected to it. They stated this several times in DEV chats, old (now archived or removed) forum posts, and magazine interviews.

If anything, this is worse for qualitative evaluation than it is for simple debugging. When you make a product, and you were part of the decisions behind its design -- including tough decisions on whether or not to sacrifice Gameplay Mechanic A because X, Y, and Z were more urgent/important -- it is far more difficult to separate yourself objectively.

Playing their own game from a qualitative perspective only serves to increase the sense of attachment.

This kind of process -always- requires external sets of eyes. Simple fact is, User Acceptance -- Beta -- was far too short.

On-topic, should they play their own game? Yes, to see the bugs we report, but not to see the quality (QA) feedback we report.