Lt. Commander
The bonus stats on weapons only count towards that one weapon. This leads to pathetically small gains when you upgrade. For example my green weapon is only worse than the purple ones by +2% crit. That's only for the one weapon. Basically when I'm using 4 weapons that thing will only do a tiny percent extra on average worth of DPS. Like 1% extra.
If I purpleize everything I'll be like 2% more effective crit wise... 2 freakin' percent!

If I purple ALL of my gear it's basically the same. The gains are just really REALLY small. For example I can upgrade my kit and the only thing better is that Lunge will do 10 more damage. I don't use Lunge that often and that's not much of a bonus for a move I only really use on exposed enemies who I kill in one shot anyways.

Now I'm doubting the purple gear we get from raids will be that much better if better at all. I doubt we'll need to be geared for the raidisodes since a person stacked in greens is effectively the same as a person stacked in purples. The difference is so negligible and at the same time skill makes probably MUCH more of a difference (unlike WoW where it's 90% gear 10% skill) that I cannot see any reason to actually demand purples.

Now that's both a good and bad thing at the same time. Gear wars in games like WoW are... stupid. Those games take no skill.
However the feeling of gains is really nerfed when the difference between a good green and a purple is literally often a fraction of a percent. I'd kind of rather see each of those statistics on items like weapons help each other and not just themselves.

Oh and where's the blues? It's harder to get blues than purples. IMO the Daily Mission items should be blue and not purple.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Upgraded quality items should pack a bit more punch I agree.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I dont think the upgrades are for PvE or raid content, I think they're more for PvP content.

1% or 2% in PvP goes a lot farther.

However, if you've ever raided in WoW or EQ2 or most other mmo's, a 1% upgrade to even one of your items was worth getting.

I'm hoping that the difficulty of the upcoming "raidisodes" justifies the desire to obtain that 1% upgrade, because as it is now, I have one of my alts in mostly white Mk X gear while the other is in mostly blue / purple Mk X gear, and I honestly can't tell much of a difference in difficulty: Both are ridiculously blowing through dailys.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Only thing that makes sense is if the nature of the weapon damage type is key to success in the raids themselves. +% to crit and don't forget + crit severity could be "critically" important to raid strategy. Lastly perhaps antiproton weapons themselves are important with raid mobs being resistant to other damage types.

Or it could just be a timesink till we get more content?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
While in WoW you did sometimes find yourself getting those 1% upgrades the difference between solid green gear and a fully epic person was freakin' huge.

The difference here is... well, with my skill set I can VERY SAFELY say I still usually win when outgunned. My level 11 Klingon Defense Force character with her Mk II stuff on ground pwns those level 20 Mk IV guys. Skill makes a bigger difference in this game then gear by FAR.
Same goes for my ship. I keep standard gear in my ship and I'm pwning +8 people with plenty of Mk IV.

Skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gear.

Now that's good. Don't get me wrong. However I'd like for it to be like this instead:

Skill > Gear > Poop

:p
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
please dont ask me for a link, as i honestly cant remember where abouts i saw this..

but i think it was a thread a week or so ago when someone asked about the point of skilling in the different weapon types when the skill point cost was more for anything that wasnt phasers or disruptors but the gains to the weapon type were the same.

a dev posted and basically said "its worth it because of the additional effects of the other weapons"

now, if thats their design philosophy for the different weapon types, it stands to reason at least for me that those antiproton weapons that i've not seen elsewhere in game will have an advantage in the raidisodes. thats why we can only skill in them once we hit admiral, and why we can only get that weapon type as purples from a daily mission..

i agree with the OP that in pure numbers it makes no sense, but if the things we'll be facing in the raidisodes are weaker to antiproton weapons than any other type then they'll be well worth getting.