Lt. Commander
# 1 Executive Officer
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
What does everyone think about the idea of a new Bridge Officer who is the ships Executive Officer? Give the XO specific abilities similar to other Officers but not specific to the Tactical/Science/Engineer branches. I'm not sure what abilities to give them but, from a LONG Roleplaying background I think it'd be nice to have your own "Number One".

Comments or suggestions anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Couldn't the XO/Number One just be one of those branches? I mean, couldn't you just implement it so that you can pick one of your BO's to be your XO, and doing so gives them a new branch of a few skills, that are XO skills... something having to do with organization, group buffing, efficiency, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMHC
Couldn't the XO/Number One just be one of those branches? I mean, couldn't you just implement it so that you can pick one of your BO's to be your XO, and doing so gives them a new branch of a few skills, that are XO skills... something having to do with organization, group buffing, efficiency, etc.
Yes, that's one way of doing it. I just thought the idea of an XO character with a unique set of skills may be somthing to think about. Maybe something for the future of the game...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazrael
Yes, that's one way of doing it. I just thought the idea of an XO character with a unique set of skills may be somthing to think about. Maybe something for the future of the game...
My issue with what you're describing is that:

1. A ship has only one XO, whereas it could have multiple tactical officers. Makes things a bit confusing and/or superfluous to create a unique set of skills of the same size as the science profession for a BO that you can only have one of.

2. An XO is a designation for what someone does on a ship, not what sort of information they've been specializing in. Presumably, a science officer has been studying science, and is proficient in science. An XO hasn't necessarily been studying anything, and thus that 'profession' is clearly the odd man out, and if implemented should be implemented in a different way.
Lt. Commander
# 5 A Reasonable XO Option...
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
An XO is proficient in whatever their job specialty is. Assigning a 'unique skill set' in place of their normal profession seems to make being an XO it's own career line... which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Instead, I recommend a new button on the Officer info page:

"Designate Executive Officer"

Once designated, that Officer may train ranks in an XO skill, perhaps called "Extensive Experience" or something, which would SLIGHTLY reduce the cooldowns of their abilities (perhaps shave 1-3 seconds off), OR SLIGHTLY increase the strength of their abilties effects by a couple %.

It should be an expensive skill to train, thereby reflecting the ability and worthiness of that Officer holding such a high position.

Anything more would destroy the balance of skills. That's my five cents.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with the original post. They should have specific, XO only abilities. For anyone who has been in a mitliary or paramilitary orginization knows that higher ranking officers DO go through specialized leadership training. Maybe give them "traits" similar to "racial traits". If its a Tact Off that you are promoting, extra dmg to wpns, Eng extra power to engines and shields, Sci extra power to aux.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Imho a first officer should be an universal console, one rank bellow the captain.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrys
I agree with the original post. They should have specific, XO only abilities. For anyone who has been in a mitliary or paramilitary orginization knows that higher ranking officers DO go through specialized leadership training. Maybe give them "traits" similar to "racial traits". If its a Tact Off that you are promoting, extra dmg to wpns, Eng extra power to engines and shields, Sci extra power to aux.
This is what I think I was originally leaning toward. I think that there should be an XO console just as for Tactical/Science/Engineer Officers starting at the Lt. Commander ship level that way it'd be one level lower than the character level.

I also like Akrys' (and others) idea of promoting a regular BO to the position of XO. And basing his/her abilities on their oiginal profession.

You may notice that I posted this as "what I think I originally meant". The original idea was just something I had been kicking around in my head sense I started playing the game (a week ago today) I think the posts everyone has made have been positive and I want to thank everyone who posted them. Hopefully the Devs will give this some considertion in the future.