Lt. Commander
There have been more than a few cocked-eyes if not outright complaints that the STO universe is crawling with admirals who still do their own dirty work. A valid observation not a month in full release. May I respectfully suggest the following in the future:

High-End Ranks

1) Nerf Admirial. I know, people who earned it will complain. But I'm just talking about changing the title for the sake of a balanced feel for the game. After all, what can you possibly add in the future? "Grand Admiral" and "Lord God Admiral of Awl?"

2) Change the current Admiral rank to Commodore. What happened to good old Matt Decker from "The Doomsday Macine?" It's a solid, commanding rank that is technically above captain and still gets down in the trenches.

3) Add "Rear-Admiral." There's another rank you can add above Commodore (Technically Rank 7) without burning the full Admiral card yet.

4) Add Admiral. Put it above Rear at Rank 8, and we've got years of expansions!

5) Perhaps an elite few can be eventually chosen for Fleet Admiral for some ungodly achievements, but that should perhaps be a special rank for only a few hundred or even dozen of the best players.

Low-End Rank

Consider adding a MUCH NEEDED tutorial at the beginning of the game to explain a lot of the mechanics.

Add Cadet - This would be the "0th" level rank, and coudl be a voluntary scenario (ala "Outbreak" in CoH) to familiarize the player with a ton of concepts. It could start in the Star Fleet Academy in San Francisco, going over things like skills and skill trees. Then it could move up to the use of arms and items, etc., awarding the player who chooses to go through it his/her first 100 Skill Points (extra), and a few solid items to make the first "real" levels easier. It could culminate in the Cadet's service aboard a starship that is ambushed, with all killed and incapacitated, and s/he has to save the day by fighting off Duj fighters and a few boarding Klingons. Anyway, I'm thinking of writing up a detailed spec on this, as I think it would easy a lot of the early heartache that the game gives new players right now.

That's a total of 3 new levels on top of what's currently here. That's a lot of content and expandibility!

I hope you'll consider the idea. It would suck to be running around in a galaxy with 1000 Admirals and nobody to do any work. :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Currently the ranking system is meaning less.

I am guessing the folks @ Cryptic don't understand that Admirals don't see combat unless it is a dire situation. Admirals don't run ground missions, scanning, fighting, "aiding planets."

For that matter I don't even feel like I am the Captain of a Star Ship, although I already hit RA5.

They could have worked this so that even 6 months from now people were not even close to Admiral. Even for the hardcore players.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2010, 02:49 AM
ROFLx0RMONKIES@your sig, Ceil!!! That Trek dialogue is just perfect!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Uh, have you actually played the game yet? It is the Rear Admiral rank we already have.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selehzek
High-End Ranks

1) Nerf Admirial. I know, people who earned it will complain. But I'm just talking about changing the title for the sake of a balanced feel for the game. After all, what can you possibly add in the future? "Grand Admiral" and "Lord God Admiral of Awl?"

2) Change the current Admiral rank to Commodore. What happened to good old Matt Decker from "The Doomsday Macine?" It's a solid, commanding rank that is technically above captain and still gets down in the trenches.

3) Add "Rear-Admiral." There's another rank you can add above Commodore (Technically Rank 7) without burning the full Admiral card yet.

4) Add Admiral. Put it above Rear at Rank 8, and we've got years of expansions!

5) Perhaps an elite few can be eventually chosen for Fleet Admiral for some ungodly achievements, but that should perhaps be a special rank for only a few hundred or even dozen of the best players.
Well, here are my comments:

1) Why add ranks/levels above? I very much hope crypting isn't going to follow the simple WoW-route level 60, 70, 80 etc... as that always makes previous endgame content totally obsolete, as well as anything achieved therein.

2) - 4) It's not hard to come up with multiple ranks above Captain, but what about ships? I definitely don't want Cryptic to invent multiple Tiers of higher ships, making what we have so far totally obsolete. At the moment, you can take a Galaxy, Defiant or Intrepid into T5, it works (I tried it, too), but what about a possible T6, T7, T8? Until they come up with ship upgrading, I would rather stick with T5, i.e. level 50 as maximum.

5) No. seriously, no. Nothing of this elitist crap that other games produce. Especially not in the form of "only the top 1% by whatever scale will get it" (think of the old "honor system" in WoW, which was totally bulls***).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Although I'd like Admiral re-named to Commodore I don't think Cryptic should add any higher levels beyond the 45/50 planned. The journey to Admiral is pretty fun (although I'm only up to Captain atm) I think Cryptic should focus on the 'endgame', ideally to make it as (or even more) engaging.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Now:

Ensign - for 30 minutes

Lt. Junior Grade
Lt.
Lt. Commander
Commander
Captain

Then in the Expansion:

Commodore
Rear Adm.
Vice Adm.
Adm.
Fleet Admiral

The way it should have been.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Here's what I was thinking about this: (posted this a few days ago)

Just a suggestion to change the names of the ranks used.

Re-naming the in-game ranks to cap at Commodore. I would think that admirals would be involved more in fleet actions (controlled by players... something not in-game currently and perhaps the subject of a later expansion?).

In-Game Levels
Ensign (Level -10 to 0)
This rank would be associated with a (fully skippable) in-depth tutorial location. I would recommend Starfleet academy at San Francisco. This would be a way to fully "teach" people about the game mechanics as well as the typical strategies used in combat (space/ground). Full completion of the academy tutorial would earn an accolade, but be skippable.

Lieutenant, Junior Grade (Level 1)
This is the rank associated with the "start of game" Borg encounter on the USS Khitomer. This encounter can be changed to have more "action" and less "education" since it is assumed that one has completed the tutorial.

Lieutenant (Level 2 to 10)
Battlefield promotion given by Admiral Quinn following our "heroics" during the Borg incident.

Lieutenant Commander (Level 11 to 20)

Commander (Level 21 to 30)

Captain (Level 31 to 40)

Commodore (Level 41 to 50)

Added Later (expansions?)
Perhaps added in a later expansion would be the ability to control/command "pet" ships in space combat and teams larger than 5 in ground combat. This would give us a better feel for actually being an Admiral.

Rear Admiral, 1 Star (Level 51 to 60)
Rear Admiral, 2 Star (Level 61 to 70)
Vice Admiral (Level 71 to 80)
Admiral (Level 81 to 90)
Fleet Admiral (Level 91 to 100)