Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Here it is: Permanent Crew Death, causing reduced hull regeneration (amongst other things) until replenished at a nearby station. It would force people to play a bit smarter and more strategically (you will fight to keep your shields up, fight to keep from taking hull hits from torps, fight to avoid being caught in a ship's explosion), and would make the 'Abandon Ship' power actually mean something, too (less crew dead upon respawn).

...

...

Wait, you mean that was their original intent all along? Then where is it?

To add to it, though, I think crew should be a resource that can be traded. In an emergency, ships low on crew can be given crew by their teammates in order to help offset the loss. Of course, crew death needs to be better balanced. As I've said before, I sometimes go through 500-600 crew members in a single mission in my little escort, even when I don't take very much real damage. That's waaaaaay too much.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, to be cannon, a death penalty would have to involve a computer that randomly selected people that were ordered to report to disintegration chambers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Considering there's generally only two circumstances I ever die in this game:
  1. it spawns me smack dab in the middle of a dozen or more opponents (Deep Space Encounters)
  2. PvP
...I'm torn between thinking your suggestion is:
  • meaningless
  • grossly punitive
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
i like the OP's idea/repetition of cryptic original intent. I don't know why its not in, but it should be. And cryptic fan 101 should be personally nerfed so they die more often. Also, debuff their crew survival rate so its almost impossible for them to have over 50 crew members, lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Should be a death penalty for making another death penalty thread. Anyway they are pondering a 30 minute disable of a BO which would be alright if they would fix the flying into a squadron of enemy ships that shouldn't be in that mission.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
The key problem with Crew Replacement, which may or may not have been the original intent...

There are only 4 Stations in the entire game. So if you are in the furthest corner of Romulan space, and die, you'll have to fly back to the base, resupply, and then fly back to the mission space. Or transwarp (hearth) back to Sol, resupply, and still make the long trip back.


It's already a pain to get places. Adding the extra running back and forth would just make more players mad.

Now... if they added a Station and a Transwarp Hub (flight point) to each sector block...

I could resupply closer, and I could get from block to block quicker.


THEN I would agree to Crew Replacement.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
Should be a death penalty for making another death penalty thread. Anyway they are pondering a 30 minute disable of a BO which would be alright if they would fix the flying into a squadron of enemy ships that shouldn't be in that mission.
Actually... Cryptic just needs to keep track of who starts a Death Penalty thread.

Those people have a special tag on their account.

And when they die, their character is deleted and they're returned to the Creation page.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't like the crew death. We invest time and skill points to shape our brothers (and sisters) in arms to what we want them to be. I would like to see something like Bridge Commander. Your ship gets damaged. And you are forced to repair at a starbase from time to time instead of rapid regeneration inbetween fights. But it does require more places ingame to do these repairs. In case of death I would suggest a respawn at Earth. Or Qo'nos. Everyone will hate the traveling back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
The key problem with Crew Replacement, which may or may not have been the original intent...

There are only 4 Stations in the entire game. So if you are in the furthest corner of Romulan space, and die, you'll have to fly back to the base, resupply, and then fly back to the mission space. Or transwarp (hearth) back to Sol, resupply, and still make the long trip back.


It's already a pain to get places. Adding the extra running back and forth would just make more players mad.

Now... if they added a Station and a Transwarp Hub (flight point) to each sector block...

I could resupply closer, and I could get from block to block quicker.


THEN I would agree to Crew Replacement.
Totally agree. don't really like the BO disable thing... I'd rather have to fly to the local Station 7 to conduct a press gang and grab some Tribble bites
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minshara View Post
In case of death I would suggest a respawn at Earth. Or Qo'nos. Everyone will hate the traveling back.
I think causing players to 'hate' something is not a positive thing to impliment into the game. There are many factors that can cause death that are out of the players control. Lag, rubber banding, server crash ect ect.

I have mentioned on several of these kind of threads, that a simple solution of rewarding players for time spent alive, would be the solution.

Thus those who play carefully will be rewarded for doing so, and those who kamikazi will only be punishing themselves.

The carrot and not the stick, is (almost) always the best way.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.