Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
Actually... Cryptic just needs to keep track of who starts a Death Penalty thread.

Those people have a special tag on their account.

And when they die, their character is deleted and they're returned to the Creation page.

why is everyone so opposed to anyone that suggests they add a little bit of challenge to the game?

I mean come on, I love Star Trek as much as the next guy, but seriously, this game is so easy it's almost rolled around to difficult again.

*** After a few moments reflection on the above statement, I feel that I have not taken into account exactly what forum I'm on. It's entirely possible that the next guy indeed DOES love Star Trek more ! ***
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
If you want only 5 mins to fly back to alocal station rather than having to travel back to a full station then you have to have timed recuirtment of say 5 mins per 100 crewman replaced.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Respawning while your starship is blown to little pieces is unrealistic as it is. And rewarding people for there time alive is not really fair to players who are simply not that good. Perhaps expand the respawn to include K7 and DS9. And later on perhaps starbase closer to mission hubs. But I have to Disagree to the rewards. Some people have a more difficult time then others.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareRoot
why is everyone so opposed to anyone that suggests they add a little bit of challenge to the game?
A time sink is a time sink, not a challange.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
That's not entirely true. Saying that having a penalty for poor tactics and suicide runs is just a timesink is a bit extreme. Yes, I know that sometimes it's out of YOUR control that you die (server issues, isp issues, greifers, and the like) and that in those cases a death penalty does indeed suck the big ones, but that's just part of playing these types of games.

There will never be a perfect solution, and I'm not an advocate of extreme penalties, coming from Lineage II (Pre-C1 Days even, when the DP was serious), but we need SOMETHING here. SOMETHING to make me care if I get killed or not.

I try NOT to die of course, and rarely do outside of PvP, but there is not real incentive for me to even care whether I do or not.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minshara View Post
And rewarding people for there time alive is not really fair to players who are simply not that good. But I have to Disagree to the rewards. Some people have a more difficult time then others.
That doesnt make any sense. The people who are 'not very good' will already be at a disadvantage with the system you suggest, as they will be forced to respawn every time they die (which as you said is going to be more often then those who are 'better')

At least the reward system isnt enforcing frustration upon people. And like I said the people who are 'not very good' are going to be frustrated by the system you are suggesting.

Given the choice if I was 'not very good' I would much rather improve in my own time and let others enjoy the benefits of staying alive longer. Rather than being forced to respawn 100 light years away because the game glitched, or I lagged out when a 'contact point' pounced on me and killed me before I could warp out.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareRoot

I mean come on, I love Star Trek as much as the next guy, but seriously, this game is so easy it's almost rolled around to difficult again.

*** After a few moments reflection on the above statement, I feel that I have not taken into account exactly what forum I'm on. It's entirely possible that the next guy indeed DOES love Star Trek more ! ***

Am more opposed to the people who insist on having to post new threads about death penalties when they could have simply just appended their thoughts to one of the million other ones about it like 100+ page one that Cryptic has responded to with their ideas already which is what mine referred to.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
Am more opposed to the people who insist on having to post new threads about death penalties when they could have simply just appended their thoughts to one of the million other ones about it like 100+ page one that Cryptic has responded to with their ideas already which is what mine referred to.
Well I can't argue with that.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
i like the OP's idea/repetition of cryptic original intent. I don't know why its not in, but it should be. And cryptic fan 101 should be personally nerfed so they die more often. Also, debuff their crew survival rate so its almost impossible for them to have over 50 crew members, lol
Honestly I'd rather see a broader scope to how we succeed/fail. And for emphasis, let me repeat that last word: fail.

A simple time sink (which is basically what all death penalties amount to) is not likely to get me any more enthusiastic about a "go to system X, defeat Y patrols of Klingons" mission. It most certainly won't make me play any more cautiously, as mentioned previously I seldom die as it is.

On the other hand, a "you have X amount of time to hold out against enemy forces 'till reinforcements arrive" or "prevent them from destroying/boarding/taking over Y" makes things a bit more interesting. Additionally, and more to the point, you now have a clear objective the player can either accomplish or fail. How many patrols are defeated is at best, secondary.

We already have *several* missions that follow this structure. Well, except for the "fail" part. Maybe that's what's really missing?

I guess what I'm driving at here is I'd like a little more 4th wall between me and the numbers, or something like a race against the clock to add some tension/immediacy to the game... rather than just a few more arbitrary numbers in my ship's UI to obsess over.

Does that make a lick of sense?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
while i agree with your sentiment, i have to point out the the DEV who posted in that thread posted a disclaimer that he was sharing his opinions as a fellow gamer and not as a dev. was it appropriate for him to do so on his DEV account? ofc not. people read that thread, in particular his posts and see it as official cryptic posts. even if they quote the post where he makes the disclaimer, they claim that this cryptic saying what will happen on this issue.

this issue is so frustrating that i have to force myself to log in. i'm having fun playing the game, but will the progress i make now be futile simply because the game changes on an issue i feel strongly about?

if they make a weak DP, the people who want a stronger DP than is in game already will still complain, and the people who are against a change in the DP will also complain. if they make a hrash Dp, some people will be made happy, but more people will be unhappy and frustrated.

the PRO DP crowd is so divided they don't even know what they want. they want a wide ranges of DP changes from weak to harsh. while the anti DP crowd want no change to the game, or encounter/mob reset at most.