Lt. Commander
# 21
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
while the anti DP crowd want no change to the game, or encounter/mob reset at most.
Thats not true at all. Infact I have just suggested an alternative in this very thread......
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
Should be a death penalty for making another death penalty thread. Anyway they are pondering a 30 minute disable of a BO which would be alright if they would fix the flying into a squadron of enemy ships that shouldn't be in that mission.
30 minutes to someone who plays 8-12 hours a day is trivial at best.

However, I'd have to imagine 30 minutes to someone who plays 8-12 hours a week would be an absolute kick in the groceries... particularly if they're scheduling play time between work, family, etc..

This (IMO) is why time sinks are generally dumb.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
Thats not true at all. Infact I have just suggested an alternative in this very thread......
you suggested a harsher DP than some pro DP people have suggested. you are not anti DP, you are pro DP.

which proves that the issue is so confused that many people don't even realize which side of the issue they're on.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
you suggested a harsher DP than some pro DP people have suggested. you are not anti DP, you are pro DP.

which proves that the issue is so confused that many people don't even realize which side of the issue they're on.
Well I wouldnt call my idea a 'death penalty' really, more of a 'reward for living'

The only penalty people recieve from the system is invisible to them, since its a lack of reward, rather than a direct punishment.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Well I wouldnt call my idea a 'death penalty' really, more of a 'reward for living'

The only penalty people recieve from the system is invisible to them, since its a lack of reward, rather than a direct punishment.
To be fair, this system is already in place... in PvP.

If you succeed you get a big reward. If you fail, you still get a reward for effort (and rightly so), just not quite as large as if you had succeeded.

And yes, people still complain about it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:

edit: i confused you with OP, will reread thread. sorry.

edit2:
i am not against an appropriate life bonus.

something i've outlined more than a few times goes something like:

die 0 times: +10% exp/merits
die 1time +8% exp/merits
die 2 times +6% exp/meirts
and so on, until 0 bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Upon death, a player should be downloaded back to a resurrection ship and into a new body. The player should then go on a 5-minute quest to find some clothes to wear. Dying too far from a resurrection ship should result in permanent death.

Oh wait, wrong IP
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
All I want is what Cryptic originally intended, because it's a good idea and a good Death Penalty. It also fits the game fairly well.

I even said that there would need to be some balance done. Adding starbases or other resupply points/transwarp hubs would obviously be part of that.

As for it being a 'Time Sink,' it's only that if you suck so bad at strategic thinking that your crew is dying constantly. This really does add challenge because you're trying to keep your crew alive instead of just 'pew pew'ing the enemies to death. It also adds to the immersion factor of the game: You're the captain of a starship with hundreds or thousands of people on board; keeping them alive is your duty and responsibility.