Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat Hold Ability!...
02-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I believe that the Hold ability is very OP due to i was in PVP and was held for over 63 seconds... while being attacked any other opinions on this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Geez, that does seem rather long. I have no experience with ground PVP, but you have my sympathy.

-HD
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
hehe yea ... i think 30secs is long.... but then double it... thats way unfair...
Lt. Commander
# 4 Hold on ground combat.
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
The Klingons use that all the time. That is the first thing they hit when they encounter an enemy. Then they hit something else that makes them able to kill your character with 1 shot. I'm not exaggerating. It's happened to me so many times that I lost count. Now as for the time limit on the hold, here's another true story. I got hit with a hold by 1 klingon character who then proceded to kill my character. Now my RA5 has the Personal Shield Mk X (the Admiral special version that you can only buy with the medals) that regenerates at 800% times 3 and the Pollyalloy Weave Armor Mk X that offers 50% off physical damage (the Admiral special version that you can only buy with the medals). So I got hit with the hold and just sat there and watched as my character was killed with a bat'leth. A bat'leth!!! That's how long the hold was. Now does that seem fair? I don't think so.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
ground combat is plagued with about a hundred hold and stun skills that turn it more into a spamming hold fest then a shooting and skill fast. Most fights in pvp ground tend to come down to who can hold the other guy the longest and it gets rather silly.

In other MMOs holds and knockbacks are something ot be used wisely since they aernt as common but in STO they are handed out and spammed with every ability and weapon to the point of stupidity.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I agree. Holds in this game are rediculous. In particular abillities that hold and expose. As a player who truly does enjoy melee the rifle butting is of particular interest to me. If I attemt to fight close quarters, more often than not the response from my opponent is to strafe around me spamming riffle butt. This has the effect of almost garuntueing a hold and expose on me, then they just casually walk around behind me and sniper shot me in the back for an instant kill. I find it stupid that a guy with a rifle that he smacks u in the head with is more effective in melee than a Klingon with a battleth. You should be able to escape me, or maybe hold me off till help arrives if u are skilled enough. But not completely destroy me.

Another favorite tactic of many is to simply charge en masse. Rifle butt an opponent into hold/expose then one shot him, rinse repeat with the rest of the enemy. Totaly lame and in no way fun gameplay.

My simple suggestion for the rifle butting problem is to give it a several second (2 or 3 maybe) cooldown so it can no longer be spammed, and instead becomes the self defensive move it is supposed to be. This would also have the effect of forcing teams to coordinate rifle butting if they still wish to zerg/butt/sniper shot, rather than simply spamming ftw.

As for the rest, Cryptic needs to take a good look at the hold/expose mechanics and how the two of them together frequently break pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Bat'leths give hold as well....how do i know....im a fed using the klings wep against them
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPresley View Post
Bat'leths give hold as well....how do i know....im a fed using the klings wep against them
yes batleth cross does give holds but for some reaon it seems to be slower. Even though the cooldown says its the same. Im not sure why. In any event rifle butt shoudl not be as effective as a batleth or unarmed fighter.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Long holds, Hold/expose bugs , the clunky feel to ground combat , all the problems with space combat ( cloaks/damage bugs etc etc) are the reason my Fleet is losing members daily.

STO is facing a massive drop in players come sub day.. Most players I know are not going to sub and are going to see what changes have been made in 6 months time assuming something else has not been released by then...

I am going to stick around plugging away until the 45day patch then probably not sub for month 2 unless something amazing is in that mega patch..
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynklad
Long holds, Hold/expose bugs , the clunky feel to ground combat , all the problems with space combat ( cloaks/damage bugs etc etc) are the reason my Fleet is losing members daily.
Your Fleet is not the only one losing players, there is a lot more that already cancel their lifetimes and going monthly to see that patch... Depends on that 45 DAY patch they may be for the 3rd month or just leave for a few months to see if the game improves...