Lt. Commander
This is mainly just to satisfy my curiosity (if I happen to get a dev response), and to see what other opinions might be... so here is my question:

Given that the implementation of a death penalty is quite obviously a VERY important issue to the player base (those for, against and ambivalent about it), why was any feedback option about it completely vacant from the survey which addressed so many other areas of the game?

Do the developers just not care what the majority opinion might be? Do they already have an idea? Was the decision based on player feedback or the gaming sites who's reviews mentioned the absence of a major death penalty?

Also (a polite request to other posters) I'm not interested in debate whether or not they implement/need one in this thread. I'm more after the what, why and how of the decision to include one. I feel it somewhat odd that it was absent from the survey, and thus my curiosity about it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
i'd like to see something official from cryptic on this subject myself, on the forums, and not just a dev posting on his dev account but claiming to give his opinion as a fellow player.

i'd like to see a survey dedicated to DP myself, in game. i didn't know there was a survey on the main page except through forum posts about it.

it seems while cryptic is claiming that they are listening to their players on this subject, they are ignoring a great many of us.

i also heard(from the same dev that posted in a DP thread with his ideas "as a player") that a survey on teh subject is out of the question because it would be unfair to any minorities.

so instead they are going to be unfair to a possible majority.

cater to the hardcores cryptic. please do. lose my sub.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
There was no survey, no opinions asked they decided to take th lazy route and just be like everyother game and not try and solve problems with something creative.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Too many companies consider forum noise to be representative.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
for some reason i get the impression that cryptic looks at the number of DP threads and just says "oh everyone wants a DP" and doesn't actually read them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote from most recent state of the game:

"Game Adjustments:Now that the game is out and in your loving hands, we're taking long, hard looks at everything each and every one of you is interested in seeing changed. Cruiser turn rates? Death penalties? More open auto-fire? All those topics and more are being scrutinized by the all-seeing eye of... um, us!

Some of the few things on the way:

Respec
Death Penalty
Difficulty Slider
More open auto-fire
Replayable missions
Improving Memory Alpha
Fixing those Commodity missions
And there are a bunch more. We’ve heard you and are working on all these issues, but we want to make sure that they come out clean and finished. We hate rushing out features – it inevitably leads to us accidentally breaking things we didn’t have time to test. I dunno – like the Red Matter Capacitor or something… "

This gives me a little hope. Perhaps the game I check in on in 6 months will be worth my sub.
Lt. Commander
Death penalties are clearly a bad move a short time after a release or major upgrade. Bugs always exceed options to stave off death in the nick of time. They need a year i would say. Work on the rubber banding and lag issues. Put more load on the client and less load on streaming data from the sto server. They will be spending a lot of time refunding DP or losing player base otherwise. It has not been any different for any major MMO. They should take the hint.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
i'd like to see something official from cryptic on this subject myself, on the forums, and not just a dev posting on his dev account but claiming to give his opinion as a fellow player.

i'd like to see a survey dedicated to DP myself, in game. i didn't know there was a survey on the main page except through forum posts about it.

it seems while cryptic is claiming that they are listening to their players on this subject, they are ignoring a great many of us.

i also heard(from the same dev that posted in a DP thread with his ideas "as a player") that a survey on teh subject is out of the question because it would be unfair to any minorities.

so instead they are going to be unfair to a possible majority.

cater to the hardcores cryptic. please do. lose my sub.
Link please?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevara
Link please?
ask umm asakara. he's the one who quoted it to me.

the way he put it i assumed it was through pm.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VantheMan
Quote from most recent state of the game:

"Game Adjustments:Now that the game is out and in your loving hands, we're taking long, hard looks at everything each and every one of you is interested in seeing changed. Cruiser turn rates? Death penalties? More open auto-fire? All those topics and more are being scrutinized by the all-seeing eye of... um, us!

Some of the few things on the way:

Respec
Death Penalty
Difficulty Slider
More open auto-fire
Replayable missions
Improving Memory Alpha
Fixing those Commodity missions
And there are a bunch more. We’ve heard you and are working on all these issues, but we want to make sure that they come out clean and finished. We hate rushing out features – it inevitably leads to us accidentally breaking things we didn’t have time to test. I dunno – like the Red Matter Capacitor or something… "

This gives me a little hope. Perhaps the game I check in on in 6 months will be worth my sub.
A lot of those things are good and there is reasonable consensus on. The odd one out is the death penalty, there is anything but a consensus on adding it to the game. In my opinion it's been fairly split down the middle on forums, and that only leads me to believe that actual subscribers are going to be anything but an even divide on the issue.