Lt. Commander
# 21
02-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotlh
Im not going to continue to bikker with you. But wow does have one..You can be a lvl 45 for example, and play with your lvl 1 buddy in a group. Doing quests or even pvp if ya want. In STO you cannot.
Sidekicking involves the lower level guy temporarily getting boosted in level up to yours.

It isn't just grouping.

As I said, I'm all for it in STO.

I just had an issue with the claim that sidekicking is common.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Sidekicking involves the lower level guy temporarily getting boosted in level up to yours.

It isn't just grouping.

As I said, I'm all for it in STO.

I just had an issue with the claim that sidekicking is common
Well im glad to hear you are for it in sto. But its more than just sidekicking. Exemplar was mentioned..sidekicking is bringing the lower member up, while exemplar is bringing the higher member down. Cryptic made this exact system in COH, and CO. Why cant they in STO? This system also gains exp for both players this way, reguardless of lvl.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Really? aside from doing kahless expanse, gaining nothing at tier 3 helping my lvl 6 buddy, what other system is in place that im unaware of? elighten me!
So you really dont understand what he is tryng to say?

So how many off these other game that you can team with is a only pvp faction?

Dont get me wrong Im up for teaming just not so much on battlegrounds for world pvp and pve sure why not but the klingons have to wait till they actually get pve
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Look, the problem that I have with STO is lack of "community". And not being able to group with my buddies, just because they can't play as much, sure doesn't help..
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
So you really dont understand what he is tryng to say?

So how many off these other game that you can team with is a only pvp faction?
Um..this isnt a "klingon only problem" Feds cant team up with lower lvl players either. sure ya may be able to some pve grinds, much like kahless expanse. but the higher lvl guys dont gain anything from it, and thats if they can even enter the instance to begin with. We have higher members that cant even enter kahless anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Um..this isnt a "klingon only problem" Feds cant team up with lower lvl players either. sure ya may be able to some pve grinds, much like kahless expanse. but the higher lvl guys dont gain anything from it, and thats if they can even enter the instance to begin with. We have higher members that cant even enter kahless anymore.
Now i might be misunderstanding here but isnt that the same as wow?

Wont this be better once we get pve (klingons)
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
There is already a list of MMO's in this thread that have a similar system. Do you just ignore those?
A very short list.

Mine was longer. Like, three times longer.

And thicker.

Quote:
There may be 100's of MMO's out there but I think when people refer to MMO's they are talking about AAA ones, not every mom and pop MMO that noone has even heard of.
Even among the AAAs, sidekicking is uncommon. The ones that do have it you can count on one hand.

Quote:
As far as your list is concerned...most of those games do not need one because one way or another you can still play with your friends reguardless of level and that friend can still level.
I think you maybe operating with faulty understanding of what sidekicking/exemplaring is.

It's not just grouping with lower level folks.

Sidekicking is where your lower level buddy is temporarily boosted up in level to yours while he is grouped with you. This is done so they can enter higher level content without fear of being squashed instantly.

Exemplaring is where you as the higher level are LOWERED in level temporarily while grouped with your buddy. This would be used when you want to play in lower level content with him but don't want to overwhelm the enemies, which would suck all the challenge out of the process.

Quote:
Now on to the real meat and potatoes....

Why does it matter to you that someone asks for a mentoring system to be introduced into STO? Unless you are an idiot, that type of system is a good thing. It allows friends to play together reguardless of their level gap. Who would not want that? Instead of promoting the idea as a good one... you decide to come in here and bash on the OP over a statement that says most other MMO's have it. Well most AAA MMO's do have it or dont need it. So not only are you wrong but you are contributing nothing to the thread.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea.

I'm just nitpicking that it isn't, in fact, common.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchmeifucan View Post

Wont this be better once we get pve (klingons)
Don't stray from the point.. It would be a good idea!!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Holy sh@T, I think we all agree!!!!!!!!!! wow, never thought I would see the day.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Quote:
You are misunderstanding. Cuz in wow, both players can gain exp while being grouped reguardless of lvl.
In STO you cannot.

STO you have tiers. so a lvl 2 fedguy or lvl 6 klingon cannot group with a lvl 21 player and both gain exp from it. in fact, many of the instances are no longer available for the higher member.