Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Just got some impatient snot in a solar winds match who, rather than wait for two more so we could have an even match, just ordered us all to suicide on the fedball so he could get his xp. When I refused he threw a fit, which was doubly stupid since it's not like he needs my help to suicide, and then he spent most of the rest of the match trying to lead them to me. When what he was trying to do in the first place was suicide for the losers' winnings.

Seriously, what a moron.

But anyways, yeah, remove the loser's penalty, the klink faction may be dying, but we don't need people like that regardless.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2010, 11:58 PM
This would destroy leveling for the Klingons who get steamrolled by premades. Not to mention, it wouldn't encourage people to PVP.

The ideal solution, as Meat_Machine had elaborated in several other threads, is to reward participation (not just damage and hull repair). That way, even losing teams who do almost as much damage and support as the winning teams will be rewarded fairly for their contribution. (Of course, there should still be a bonus for the winners.)

It would also prevent suiciders, leechers, and AFKers from receiving rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
It would also prevent suiciders, leechers, and AFKers from receiving rewards.
Yup, this would probaly be the best solution.

Today we had a klingon guy afking in tier 3 ground. Someone called him on it in zone and the fed players said hed been doing it for the last 5 games. Eventuallly he came back after everyone was making fun of him in zone, and to be a jerk started suiciding into the feds. He ended up with like 128 dmg and 20 something deaths. Rewarding participation would completely discourage this kind of behavior.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozes
Yup, this would probaly be the best solution.

Today we had a klingon guy afking in tier 3 ground. Someone called him on it in zone and the fed players said hed been doing it for the last 5 games. Eventuallly he came back after everyone was making fun of him in zone, and to be a jerk started suiciding into the feds. He ended up with like 128 dmg and 20 something deaths. Rewarding participation would completely discourage this kind of behavior.
agreed.

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2010, 03:59 AM
I don't think rewards should be removed for the losing team completely.
Quote:
Perhaps though it should be halved.
I would say that perhaps your points for kills and even total DPS should be factored in, but the problem with that would be support classes and those who are essential to the team strategy without concentrating on DPS output.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Removing rewards for losing would only encourage more griefing. Losing teams would all leave en masse with only a few kills left in the match just to "stick it" to the winners. Bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Remove rewards for the people who die an inordinate number of times.

e.g. 5v5 Cracked Planet -
Losing team deaths:
A - 3 deaths
B - 3 deaths
C - 3 deaths
D - 3 deaths
E - 3 deaths

Nobody gets penalized.

Losing team deaths:
A - 0 deaths
B - 3 deaths
C - 1 death
D - 2 deaths
E - 9 deaths

Player E gets severely penalized.

Maybe the math could be something like this:

(1/Total players on your team) * total kill count * 2 = your allowable deaths without penalty

So in a 5v5, 40 kill match, you are allowed (1/5)*40*2 = 16 deaths
5v5, 15 kill match = 6 deaths.

If you exceed this, you get nothing at the end of the match.

Or, as we once actually told someone in a match, sometimes the most helpful thing you can do for your team is to just not respawn.

It's still not a perfect solution (it won't stop entire teams from suiciding) but it will at least stop that one person from charging you over and over, kamikaze style.

Incidentally, the contribution idea isn't the greatest either, but the kamikaze people can actually wrack up good DPS numbers. They just go full offense and don't care if they die. So they end up with high damage numbers but they still drag down their team by being the leading source of points for the enemy team.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2010, 07:26 AM
If you get exp penalty for dying more then others you will hurt the loosing team unfairly.... Remember that as Klingons we weed out the weak like lions do. Thus, some poor sap that we focused on is going to get the bad end of the stick and not be encouraged to pvp anymore. You could make this a Klingon only issue, but then your not keeping it simple.

First, be assertive right off the bat, take control, and realize not all players will listen. Also, I lead 95% of my pugs... I form them into premades. I call out our strategy.... Sometimes you have to face reality and recognize that for whatever reason, our team is just not going to accomplish a win... Sure, ya want the experience of organizing to sink in, but some just want to move along and find a better pick up group. I give it three tries... If group is not capable, I release them from my command and give last order to go down fighting as they see fit. I don't call it giving up, I call it moving along....
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Remove rewards for the people who die an inordinate number of times.
Losing team deaths:
A - 0 deaths
B - 3 deaths
C - 1 death
D - 2 deaths
E - 9 deaths

Player E gets severely penalized.
The only problem I see with this is that certain people are targets in premades or decent pugs. Just because you die a lot does not mean you are not trying.

How about 9 deaths and practically no damage or healing?

What if it is 5 v 2. The other two players are going to get rocked.

There is no clear simple way to make this work.

Better yet how about a report function. This is another form of griefing. I have seen and been a part of a 3 man team that won against 5. Just because you have less numbers does not mean a loss.

Lately every pvp instance I have been in save for one or two has been 15 to 0 or 14 to 1. What happens when an entire team throws in the towel?

Some people will always game the game if it benefits them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I could go with this, so long as the Klingon pvp quests were given a fixed reward. As it is now, they are given on the lowest rank of the bracket and by the half way point of levelling only give 75xp.

If they gave a fixed 500 regardless of level, it would be appropriate reward for the 5 wins required.