Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Your easy way to sort out griefers is a vote kick option.

Make it so you can only ask for one vote every 5 min. More than 80% of the team votes yes (for instance 4 of 5. The griefer will always vote no :p) and the player is removed from the arena/match. Simple. ********s are kicked from the match the other players in the instance then get priority in the que for the next player to replace that person and your done for the short term (note short term was said)

The idea of rating people is kind of nice in a functioning PVP system and que (but it still has issue what if your team sucks? People will be abused as the lost leet player number 115 50 raiting. People will then stop pugging past a point. Organised teams you will just leave from rather than lose raiting). In alot of ways stats can kill a game and a persistent counting stat is quite hard to deal with. It also causes even more epeening and lame play as people try to beat one another. Then if someone questions a skill, ability, style of play or general pvp issue, you will see "What is your raiting?! ---- Pheh only 400! You suck too much noob to be even talking about pvp, go back and l2play!". Perhaps rated pvp should its own top tier option for people if they wish it, because to be honest end game pvp works when you get to fight other good teams.

The system is failing atm with a lack of organising a round start (we just go in and bam away we go no matter numbers atm) and putting the correct number of people on each side (anyone who has done pvp has been the only ship vs a whole team. This isn't a rarity sadly and it happens to Klingons and Feds at times).

It also has trouble of where it spawns you in arena matches (I have zoned in to a arena and then a fed has been dumped right infront of my ship when they died. That is dumb). There is so many issues atm that the fix to griefing has to be pretty simple to get it done for the devs while the focus on more pressing issues.

Then rewards for how well you did. It is kind of in atm but to a very limited degree. However I think if you do score 0 you get no points at all for the round ( zoned in very late to one and didn't make it to a battle and got 0. It could have been time in instance as well or a bug who knows). But I can see why it isn't being fully used. Hull damage and Hull healing is the current paticipation? Hell even CAPTURING area's, transfering teams net you 0 contribution atm (or so it seemed from my limited testing). So for doing the actual objective rather than have a brawl in the middle you get nothing extra. All CC, drains, imobilize/slows, debuffs and buffs for you team are worth nothing. Shield heals, shield damage are also squat. It needs some serious work; but honestly the skill points suffice and are workable as win or lose, score badly or highly you still get a ok value to progress. with the state atm this is essential imo.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-27-2010, 09:08 AM
If the Klingons ever get some more pve content this issue will probably decrease as the carebears can go level up another way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Just got some impatient snot in a solar winds match who, rather than wait for two more so we could have an even match, just ordered us all to suicide on the fedball so he could get his xp. When I refused he threw a fit, which was doubly stupid since it's not like he needs my help to suicide, and then he spent most of the rest of the match trying to lead them to me. When what he was trying to do in the first place was suicide for the losers' winnings.

Seriously, what a moron.

But anyways, yeah, remove the loser's penalty, the klink faction may be dying, but we don't need people like that regardless.
Removing any reason for players to pvp is a bad idea. People simply will stop playing. I've seen it before.

Institute a votekick with appropriate cooldowns and reasons implemented and that will resolve most issues.

The afk issue is in reality a vast minority issue in any case, albeit an annoying one.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Like it or not you cannot force people to do what they don't want to do. Many people do not like to pvp.

Some people are just mmo carebears. They are in each and every mmo game.

pvpers can range from very serious to casual.

All types of people play the game.

Do you really people who would rather pve in your pvp group instead of a true pvper?

Some things to think about.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I thought people who had zero participation got no exp in the first place...?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Fire off a single shot as you ram into the fedball and it counts as 'participation'.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Just got some impatient snot in a solar winds match who, rather than wait for two more so we could have an even match, just ordered us all to suicide on the fedball so he could get his xp. When I refused he threw a fit, which was doubly stupid since it's not like he needs my help to suicide, and then he spent most of the rest of the match trying to lead them to me. When what he was trying to do in the first place was suicide for the losers' winnings.

Seriously, what a moron.

But anyways, yeah, remove the loser's penalty, the klink faction may be dying, but we don't need people like that regardless.
I'd like to take a different point of view on this based on an experience yesterday...and that is of the team of 5 Klingons that won't let the fed player team build up to a reasonable number to make the challenge even remotely fair.

I can appreciate the frustration you had with this guy, but from the mirror-side, so to speak.

I'd love to see 1 on 1 player duels. I used to play board game Star Fleet Battles, and 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 duels were the staple (because more ships meant a much longer game)...given the disparity we see in the current pvp system I think that player duels must now rank amongst the top changes I'd like to see take place...at least until some means of balancing the larger battles is found....who wants to play a game where the outcome is by and large a foregone conclusion....NOT FUN CRYPTIC!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
As I mentioned before, I think the lousy matchmaker is the #1 problem with pvp, as any match that starts 1v5 is kinda already over. If you get smart players they can stall for a bit to try and get more people, but there is no excuse for how bad it is. Few changes they need to make that come to mind, though this is certainly not all:

1) When a person enters a match, remove them automatically from all other queues.

2) If a match is unbalanced, say 1v3, NO MORE PEOPLE ADDED TO THE LARGER SIDE until the sides are even again. I can't count the number of times I've been 1v2, and seen another fed pop in. And then another a minute later. And then ANOTHER. Matchmaker apparently doesn't understand this is not helping things.

3) Give priority to people who are ONLY queued for the map as opposed to several maps. So, say, if someone is place 5 in line for Solar Winds, but they also queued for Cracked Planet, then if there is a sixth person in line who ONLY queued for Solar Winds, they get to go first instead. This would be a weighted system obviously, and after missing a match or two, they no longer get penalized for multiqueueing.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but it would help a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
While I deffinitely see afking as a huge problem (fed perspective as well). I think removing losing penalties would hurt quite a few.

Example; I was in a large space battle (tier 2). And one particular player was in several matches. He ALWAYS ended up with a terrible KDR, and minimal damage. When I sent a /tell just to see if he was afking, he simply stated he was new to the game, and TERRIBLE at pvp. Few days later he was actually competitive in most matches.

Moral of this story, if he'd been getting NO rewards, why on earth would he stick around to learn? i.e. Less people for klinks to blow up, less fun, longer Q's. There's gotta be a better fix to afking.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I faced off against a fed player today, good guy, seemed okay, but I swear he never won a match, at least not that I saw. But he kept coming, kept trying, kept learning, and he was getting better... didn't prevent him from loosing, but he was getting better.

Morale of the story is, if you don't give that guy some reward, why should he keep throwing himself at me, especially when he has the choice to simply go back and PvE. I respect the guy, I really do, not enough to not kill him over and over again, but I respect him. So do I think he deserves a reward... yes I do, most assuradly so.

So for that reason I disagree with this statement.