Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 New book plot
02-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Trek-Onlin.../dp/143918657X

It gives a plot synopsis, hopefully this book will tie in with the game enough that it makes the universe seem deeper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Unless u know something i dont odds are this wont tie in with the game at all, currently the books are set in the normal universe 7 years or so after nemesis, and this will probably be a post destiny book tie in. Personally i kind of wish this game took place then....................
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I should have seen this coming. More and more sci-fi authors have been writing in the first person. Now this guy Martin doesn't even try to change his persona and injects himself into the story as a co-writer of the story.

{insert vulgarity}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
Unless u know something i dont odds are this wont tie in with the game at all, currently the books are set in the normal universe 7 years or so after nemesis, and this will probably be a post destiny book tie in. Personally i kind of wish this game took place then....................
This game takes place during the "normal" timeline as well, thirty years after Nemesis.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Hahaha, wow. Good eye. That's shameless right there if he's actually a character in the book, and an author no doubt. I can see it happening that Data get's put out of commission and Martin has to step into his place as captain of the Enterprise and then he's off to save the day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
Unless u know something i dont odds are this wont tie in with the game at all, currently the books are set in the normal universe 7 years or so after nemesis, and this will probably be a post destiny book tie in. Personally i kind of wish this game took place then....................
Somebody really screwed up at the publishing house then, because it says "based on the massively multiplayer online game" on the bottom of the cover.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
Unless u know something i dont odds are this wont tie in with the game at all, currently the books are set in the normal universe 7 years or so after nemesis, and this will probably be a post destiny book tie in. Personally i kind of wish this game took place then....................
Evidently he does know something more than you know. There are a series of books being released that tie into the Star Trek Online continuity and not the currently dull continuity of the books.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeran
Evidently he does know something more than you know. There are a series of books being released that tie into the Star Trek Online continuity and not the currently dull continuity of the books.
I havn't read any of the books yet, well one set in TOS era but that one doesn't really count. They'd better do these new books right or people are going to be very angry. They have a great chance here to inject some life into the universe, not to mention give us more star trek books whre they have a great plot and tons of phaser fire.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah yeah im wrong just assumed, went and read the description, only books i have been reading have been post destiny trilogy so i just assumed it was one of those. How can u say the new set destiny and on are dull i personally think it one of the most epic times in federations history and i really think this game could have done well in that universe.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
I should have seen this coming. More and more sci-fi authors have been writing in the first person. Now this guy Martin doesn't even try to change his persona and injects himself into the story as a co-writer of the story.
You also are utterly wrong. A dozen Trek books have been written and published with the credit of "Written by [character name] and [author]", and not one has featured any character even remotely similar to the author. It's meant as a little bit of fun, a little joke that will be missed by the average Bookstore customer but will give trekkies a wry smile. Stop overreacting, Mangels is one of the few decent authors Pocket Books have left and he writes an excellent Jake Sisko.

Quote:
Yeah yeah im wrong just assumed, went and read the description, only books i have been reading have been post destiny trilogy so i just assumed it was one of those. How can u say the new set destiny and on are dull i personally think it one of the most epic times in federations history and i really think this game could have done well in that universe.
Because whilst the books were well written, their conclusion was utterly ludicrous and so obvious that it could be seen coming a mile away. Not to mention how poor the recent offerings of the DS9 relaunch have been. Ever since Marco Palmeiri was ousted as overseer of the Trek novel license, the books have taken a serious downturn in quality.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeran
You also are utterly wrong. A dozen Trek books have been written and published with the credit of "Written by [character name] and [author]", and not one has featured any character even remotely similar to the author. It's meant as a little bit of fun, a little joke that will be missed by the average Bookstore customer but will give trekkies a wry smile. Stop overreacting, Mangels is one of the few decent authors Pocket Books have left and he writes an excellent Jake Sisko.



Because whilst the books were well written, their conclusion was utterly ludicrous and so obvious that it could be seen coming a mile away. Not to mention how poor the recent offerings of the DS9 relaunch have been. Ever since Marco Palmeiri was ousted as overseer of the Trek novel license, the books have taken a serious downturn in quality.
I never liked Jake personally, I hope the book doesn't revolve entirely around him. I don't really care if he's the point of view, I just hope that he's not the "hero" of the book who has the most important impact on the plot.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 AM.