What about if they added ship's holodecks, and sold holodeck programs such as "Ferenginar" etc, so that you could get a breath of home by hanging out on your ship's holodeck (and even invite your friends over)?
Holodeck swamp doesn't squish between the toes the same way as real swamp. :p
To OP...are you in a Ferengi fleet? If so, can I join? I feel like I'm the only Ferengi in space.
I also like this idea as a money sink... Think of a vendor type like the tailors, as "Stellar Cartographer". You purchase either a complete canon world (100K, includes the special background scenery/canon building) or put together from the available options:
- planet type (surface: water, rocks, farmland, volcanos, desert, forest, swamp,...)
- planet climate (weather & light: cloudy, rainy, sunshine, windy, dark sky,...)
- planet interior (different building types, all with equal amount of chairs for emote use)
- planet culture (select up to 3 space base consoles; mail, bank, library)
- planet cuisine (replicator with up to 5 different bound on acquire food items as above)
Each component costs 20K - so on lower levels, before you drown in EC, you can already afford to buy a basic world surface, and customize it later by changing the weather, your quarters and add extras.