Lt. Commander
# 1 crystaline entity.
02-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Bit tired of this encounter im not going to the startrek wiki because 99% of what it says is wrong. SO can i ask someone from cryptic to actually explain how your mean to kill this. When at Rear Admirial i couldnt do enough damage solo to drop its health down 1% ?

and before people start posting O yeah dont use beam or just torpedo. I want to know exactly WHICH torpedos and WHICH beams because i tried just torpedoing it and you still get fragments you still have to kill.

Nothing should take over 2 hours to drop down 50% only to have its health shoot back up to 100%
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
Bit tired of this encounter im not going to the startrek wiki because 99% of what it says is wrong. SO can i ask someone from cryptic to actually explain how your mean to kill this. When at Rear Admirial i couldnt do enough damage solo to drop its health down 1% ?

and before people start posting O yeah dont use beam or just torpedo. I want to know exactly WHICH torpedos and WHICH beams because i tried just torpedoing it and you still get fragments you still have to kill.

Nothing should take over 2 hours to drop down 50% only to have its health shoot back up to 100%
STOwiki is right on the money. I've seen it work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:

I could drop it by 6%. Using a Tricobalt with ramming speed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Bit tired of this encounter im not going to the startrek wiki because 99% of what it says is wrong.
STO wiki is right on the money, so all that BS that people spout in zone chat is wrong. If you read the notes in the wiki it mentioned "Scramble Sensors". Scramble Sensors is currently the "I Win" button for the scenario if you have 1 or 2 people using it.

2 of my kills on the CE so far have been due to the SS method, the last one taking about 20min to complete.

So, when you say "the wiki is 99% wrong" and people who have succeeded think that it is correct, perhaps you should consider re-evaluating what you think you know.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzume Bachi
STO wiki is right on the money, so all that BS that people spout in zone chat is wrong. If you read the notes in the wiki it mentioned "Scramble Sensors". Scramble Sensors is currently the "I Win" button for the scenario if you have 1 or 2 people using it.

2 of my kills on the CE so far have been due to the SS method, the last one taking about 20min to complete.

So, when you say "the wiki is 99% wrong" and people who have succeeded think that it is correct, perhaps you should consider re-evaluating what you think you know.

I did a build just for this and joined a pug, we won.

I was running scramble 3 and scramble 1, so I could spam as much as I can. Seems the shards either stop moving or stop being created or both, not sure which.

I also ran photonic shockwave one so I never got got hit by shards, they get to close i hit that problem solved, my consoles are set for all sensors too, so teh shockwave just gets clearance and doesnt kill the shards.

Worked pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthuFmCA6d0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3Wbmb-reg

Scramble Sensor Lock. Learn it, love it. Video #1 with randoms, did it in 6 mins.

Video 2 with randoms, did it in 7.

Record is 3 mins with randoms, 1 hour 12 minutes solo. This is after it was buffed mind you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
This battle is impossible. I've been at it for three hours and none of the fleets can put a dent in it. Or when we do, its regen shoots through the roof and it heals to 100% in under 10 seconds. This battle needs to be de-powered because this is ridiculous. I did my best to shoot and kite the shards, focusing completely on the boss, but it did no good. Its regen rate is higher than the damage we can all do to it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2010, 02:10 AM
3 things...

A. the entity regenerates normally at a rate of 30K HP every 30sec based on my last observation figure. This regeneration occurs regardless of the state and situation.

if your fleet can't output that much damage to it at least then ur fleet is not going anywhere with the mission.

B. NEVER ever get hit by the large fragments no matter what, if your fleet have idiots who stand still near the entity then it's effectively not doable because they are guaranteed to get smashed by the fragment and ends up spawning the small fragments that heal the entity.

C. if your fleet are barely touched by the large fragments or managed to destroy them all before they hit someone or at the very least managed to destroy most of the smaller fragments when someone get hit by the large fragments before they return and heal the entity and your fleet is STILL not winning then see point A.

Awarkle:
STO is right on the money based on observations my buddies and i did first when our ramming wasn't patched out yet, and after... both confirmed the STO wiki information though we did not test scramble sensor.

What the STO wiki did not list is that the entity has a natural regeneration of 30K per 30sec based on our last observation that occurs throughout the entity lifetime.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah well I've had about ten encounters and there is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS some moron using mines or heavy plasma torpedoes. As for avoiding the large fragments, that is made difficult if not impossible by virtue of the sheer number of them.

Just as a case in point, we were all going clockwise around the entity when the large fragments started appearing. About five appeared in the front of my arc, and i was turning out at about 5 km, and then they were in front of me before I could even turn away because they started in front of me and turned toward me, and as a cruiser, I can't just turn around and run the other way.

That's in a tier 2 cruiser at that. I can only imagine what a nightmare this encounter is at tier 4 or tier 5 for a cruiser, given the difficulty in avoiding HUNDREDS of shards. I'm pretty good at dodging things normally. A dozen, two dozen, even three dozen, no problem. When it starts getting upwards of a hundred, my reflexes just ain't THAT freaking good.

Someone needs to take a nerf bat to this encounter. That and put it at Rear Admiral 5 instead of Lieutenant Commander 7. I mean, seriously, tier 2 ships can NOT effectively fight this thing. Even my quantum torpedoes do only 800 damage a pop when they normally do almost 3000. Never mind beams that only hit for 40 damage a tick because you HAVE to run the encounter with 100 engines in order to outrun the fragments, and even that's not fast enough for the large fragments sometimes as I found out the hard way.

This encounter is broken, and badly. It is too over the top. Even the hardest raid in World of ******** pales in comparison to this one encounter. It's like, instead of balancing the challenge level to be moderate over the entire game, they made most of the game relatively easy and dumped ALL the challenge into this one encounter. It's stupid. Does nobody at Cryptic know the meaning of "moderation"?

Getting 20 people to coordinate in this game takes a miracle unto itself.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 03:03 AM
in a T4 or T5 cruisers though, it's much more effective to just vaporize the fragments... rather than just kiting them. Typically when i visit the instance in my star cruiser i always bring enough hull destroyer weapon config and boff ability to make sure i do not need to worry of being mobbed by fragments.

kiting them frankly doesn't serve much purpose in the long run except to create a path for others or to buy time because the entity continue to manufacture them every time someone shoots it so really since we all shoot the entity it's just a matter of time before it reaches critical number.

i found it much more effective to periodically clear the fragments mass every once in a while and vaporize them to create breathing room before focusing back on the entity.

problem is you still have idiots shouting, DON"T SHOOT THE FRAGMENTS... DON"T SHOOT THEM... in the instance and god forbid they can sometimes be so stubborn at insisting in this obvious misinformation. Hell the last time i tried to correct that i get PMed by one of them who told me to shut up unless i am a dev. But yes the encounter itself is flawed in that it put PUGs against a boss that require coordination typically not found on PUGs given the random nature of the participants.