Lt. Commander
# 231
05-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Oh i hope this kind of stuff gets added someday, it will make a great game F'n AWSOME! great post!
Lt. Commander
# 232
05-01-2010, 07:17 AM
It's supposedly in the works, but there's scant information on it at present.
Lt. Commander
# 233
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Very interesting post, I like the direction and the ideas. Keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 234
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
this gets my vote. I love the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 235
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
very subtly bumps the thread so the devs can read it with coffee

i love this idea . one of the aspects of the game ive disliked is the lack of things to do when your not in the mood for blowing crap up . ive found myself sitting at sol in zonechat doing little to nothing for a good hour or two simply because i didnt feel like fighting at the time . the exploration missions while usefull and occasionally interesting simply arent challanging enough to entertain me more than watching the nerd rage at sol does . this kind of deep complex deiplomatic mission would definitly be a pleasant alternative . i like the idea that as you progess in rank your diplo missions get incresingly more complex and i loveeee that each race has specific traits which lad you to respond differently depending on if its gorn , klingons , risans etc .

hopefully cryptic will atleast look into this system and let us know if it can or cant be done . but anything has got to be better than what we have now .

FYI ... both KOTOR games , both mass effect games fallout 3 and i think SW force unleashed all had action response systems . where your choice of dialogue effected how you were percieved at the time and later on . and i think as with those games the ability to be an evil SOB when dealing with others would appeal just as much as the ability to be a goody two shoes
Lt. Commander
# 236
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the OP, a decent diplomacy system is one thing that needs to be put into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 237
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
This sounds like a very nice solution. I really hope Cryptic is listening.
Lt. Commander
# 238
05-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Diplomacy is on Cryptic's list, but there's scant information as to their plans. You might want to ask them about it on the current "Ask Cryptic". More voices might equal more info!
Lt. Commander
# 239 Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
07-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relict View Post
Here's my idea for a diplomacy system:

In Star Trek, diplomacy with different species is highly dependent on the species' racial traits. For instance, you don't approach a Klingon speaking words of peace, even if peace is your goal; you don't tell a Vulcan to do what his gut tells him; you don't compliment a Tellarite, etc.

The best way to keep players from always choosing diplomacy is to make it as difficult, or more difficult to maneuver, as it should be. Each species at the entry levels will have two easy to distinguish traits from a list of five. Their dialog will alternate between these two traits. LtC would have three, Com four, and Cap five, etc. Selecting the correct response type will put you in the next tier of diplomacy. Selecting the wrong one, however, will drop you down a level, until you've once again reached the first. Dropping from the first level of Diplomacy initiates combat. Combat can be initiated at any level by selecting "Raise shields and arm weapons."

Diplomacy, just like combat, should require "kits." Higher levels will have more traits to choose from. Gaining access to these traits would mean collecting and equipping the correct kit. Kits could not swapped out during diplomacy. Instead, diplomacy would have to be halted and start over each time a kit is swapped out.

Bridge Officers could play an important role in diplomacy as well. If a player is uncertain how to respond to the dialog they've been sent, they could turn to a Bridge Officer that has the trait "Counselor" or "Diplomat" for advice. There would be a limited number of times the Bridge Officer can assist.

Suggested Traits:
Argumentative
Aggressive
Conciliatory
Diplomatic
Financial
Logical
Insulting
Passive-Aggressive
Threatening
War-like

To incorporate the system into exploration, simply come up with 20 generic dialogs for each trait, and randomize them while generating random traits for each new civilization.

Here is a short example of a diplomatic mission:

Commander, we're being hailed by a Klingon Warbird.

Onscreen.
Raise Shields and Charge Weapons. (Enter Combat)

I am Commander Korig of the Klingon Warbird Quv'vegh. This planet has been claimed by the Klingon Empire. I order you to withdraw before I turn your crew into Targ meat.

Argumentative - This planet has been in Federation Space for generations. Your people have no right to claim it.
Conciliatory - We'll be happy to withdraw from your space, but we need something from the planet first. Can we work something out?
Diplomatic - Neither of us wants a fight, Korig. Why don't we just sit down and talk this out?
Insulting - You mate with Targs!
Threatening - Raise Shields and Charge Weapons! (Bluff)
War-like - I look forward to the glory I will receive facing you in battle!

You're bluffing, PetaQ! Your Starfleet garbage scow couldn't clean the outside of my hull!

Argumentative - Your records are in err! Starfleet doesn't haul garbage!
Conciliatory - I admit my ship isn't as tidy as it could be, but we're getting off subject.
Diplomatic - I suspect there's a reason you haven't fired on my ship, yet.
Insulting - (End Communication.)
Threatening - After I drop your shields, I'm going to beam your ship full of tribbles and leave you there.
War-like - Insulting me only exposes your fear! A true warrior would have fired on me by now!
Raise Shields and Charge Weapons (Enter Combat)

Commander, the Quv'vegh is hailing again.
Onscreen.

You insult my honor, and expect to live to tell tales of it? Today is a good day to die!

Argumentative - Tomorrow will have far better conditions for death.
Conciliatory - It may be a fine day to die, but I'd really rather not.
Diplomatic - You can hardly face the Undine I've detected on the surface alone. We should fight them together.
Insulting - You have no honor for me to insult!
Threatening - I will destroy the Undine on the surface by barraging them with pieces of your ship!
War-like - If your honor is lost, regain it by fighting a worthy opponent at my side! There are Undine on the surface. We will wipe them out together!
Raise Shields and Charge Weapons. (Enter Combat.)

Bridge Officer Assist
Captain, you don't want to appear too weak, but you don't want to insult him again, either. I recommend appealing to his Warrior nature.

War-like - If your honor is lost, regain it by fighting a worthy opponent at my side! There are Undine on the surface. We will wipe them out together!

Very well! We will fight the Undine together, and if you prove yourself a worthy ally, I may just let you live!

Beam to Surface.

A simple, elegant diplomatic system like this would add dimension to the universe, without taking away from those who just want a Star Trek combat simulator.

*note* Not all situations would call for a Diplomatic solution. The Federation is at war with the Klingons. However, this does not mean that there would never be negotiations before combat with Klingons, nor would it be compulsory. Diplomacy would be inserted in a case-by-case basis, primarily targeting Exploration missions.

***UPDATE ON TEAMING!!!
Teaming, rather than round-robin or a simple vote, would work by increasing the number of potential correct responses beyond that available in a single kit at the player's current level. Each player would need to have their own kit equipped with the proper response choices. When a challenge came up, the players would need to counsel together to determine who had the appropriate response package equipped. That player would need to choose the response in order to move up the ladder, at which point the cycle starts over again.

Whaddya say Cryptic? The system is yours, free. Just give me a nod in game somewhere.

Please sign if you want a system like this!
Signed, signed, a thousand times /signed!!!