Lt. Commander
# 11
02-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peljam View Post
http://z0r.de/1120
Also, couldn't you just train up and extra science BO with the skills you need for pvp? That's what I'm doing.
That's the thing, alot of the anti-cloak whiners won't even bother trying to adapt and use a few tricks to detect us. Most groups won't even have a science ship that specializes in finding us. They just want a "Uncloak all Cloaked Ships" button.

The shameful thing is that after a day's worth of PvP'ing and seeing countless Science vessels, less than a handful of those Science vessel players actually even try detecting us. Some of those detection / cloak prevention abilities are obvious, and you can tell from a distance if someone is using Sensor sweeps to try to find us. It's just most don't even TRY. They'll b*tch and moan about it on the zone chat or on the forums, and not actually even lift a finger in trying to figure it out.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-28-2010, 09:22 AM
News Flash for Warmaker! the science ship does not have Sensor Scan. A science Captain does. So, every science ship you see will not have it. You did make one valid point though, all Klingons can SEE it being activated...and thusly avoid the ship that used it for 15 whole seconds out of it's 90 second cooldown.

I have skilled my Science captain in all 3 sensor related skills. I mount 3 consoles that buff Sensor Array, and a deflector that buffs Sensors and Sensor Array. I run at full AUX power. Once in a while I see a cloaked Klingon. Sometimes at the range of 8k, rarely at 11k; but all too frequently I only see them at 3k; or when they open fire...

Cloak detection is not RELIABLE. Like the rest of the game it seems unfinished, bugged, or "not working as intended"

Notice I am not talking about CPB which is really only usefull to prevent ships from cloaking again. I mean, who is going to use it when they see nothing? and get lucky to have been in 5k range of a stupid Klingon captain ?

The other advantage given by a cloaked team is the ability to ambush, or surprise the enemy team. This is ignored as a major tactical advantage on these forums. Couple that with several BoP's with heavy cannons that rapid fire and I have seen cruisers blow up in seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the correction with the Science officer / scan / ship type mistake I repeatedly made. Even worse is that I'm a Science officer for the KDF, so it's inexcusable

Still, I never get too close to a group of Feds when cloaked. Cloak detection may not be reliable from your perspective, but for me, it is a concern. The closer I get, the likelier to be detected since there are more things that can be done to find you.

Every now and then I get popped out of Cloak by a group which looks like it isn't doing anything other than slowly moving together. I track them on the side get a bit closer to examine, then all the sudden one of them does a scan, and *poof* there I am.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleqwin View Post
You did make one valid point though, all Klingons can SEE it being activated...and thusly avoid the ship that used it for 15 whole seconds out of it's 90 second cooldown.
Actually I've wondered about this. It doesn't seem fair to me that it can be seen. After all it's just a scan so it would be fairer to make it invisible, at least to opposing players. I think Cryptic should change that. A small change but one that could make quite a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleqwin View Post
Cloak detection is not RELIABLE. Like the rest of the game it seems unfinished, bugged, or "not working as intended"
To be fair I don't think Cloak detection should be reliable. There should be a certain amount of chance with it - especially if it's just the one ship using it.

My solution here would be to create a new ability, Tachyon Detection Grid (assuming it's not already included under some guise!). This would be an ability that would extend the range of cloak detection by X amount for every ally ship with 10km with a tachyon deflector dish up to a maximum of say 20km. It could be on a long global/group countdown to stop it being abused and spammed.

It would:
1) require team work to use effectively. Both in getting together a team with the dishes and using it at the right time.
2) Not work 100% of the time. Or not work at 100% effectiveness all of the time. So it wouldn't be decloak button.
3) Would encourage a more mobile fed ball. Perhaps encourage players to go out and hunt down ships rather than wait.

There's more than likely a flaw to it, or several. But I personally like the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Or you guys could just pump aux. Seriously like no one pumps aux or uses that particle burst ability thingy that usually drops me out of cloak and gets me wasted at the drop of a hat. Do feds even fit EPS? I am seriously curious, I mean everyone on kling fits at least 1 eps.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Please point me to the IWIN button because I have no desire to learn to play. I just want to blow up Klinks in pew pew and never ever lose or have to think.

This message brought to you by the Federation Association of lazy and or brain dead players.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueStarter
..i think it is very unfair that they can sit cloaked in a 5v5 and wait for 4 ppl to join the pvp before coming out of cloak to fight.
I'm sorry, I must've misunderstood this... To me it sounds like YOU think it's unfair when you have 4 buddies bunched up in that cute little ball of yours, and the ONE klingon in the game won't decloak to get himself blown to the stars...?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
cloaking is fine.

make a klingon and try it, it'll also help the ques.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Let me rephrase. It was 5 fed vs 4 klinks. We stomped 4 klinks for the price of one with one of our guys afk so it was pretty much 4v4. Then the klinks hide. And hide. And hide... Takes 3 to 4 min for another series of combat and at that time it was 5 feds vs 9 klinks. And we can't cloak and hide like abunch of baddies. so... Fix the ques and make it so klinks can't hide from the feds. I understand the surprise attack portion. Put a 60 second timer on it.
you as a fed player were so badly outnumbered? Sorry I can' t believe it. I do play a Klingon since this faction was released during the last week of closed beta. I NEVER played just one game where Feds were outnumbered. I played hundred of games with 10 Feds vs. 3 Klingons or so and even now noone wants to play his/her Klingon anymore because of the lack of content (and just 4 exploration nebulas won' t change this situation in my opinion) so it is much harder to find equal groups atm. The cloak ability was discussed many times here and Cryptic do know why they wont change a thing. Because this is our only chance to win against your totally overpowered Science/Engineer groups

Qapla
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Let me rephrase. It was 5 fed vs 4 klinks. We stomped 4 klinks for the price of one with one of our guys afk so it was pretty much 4v4. Then the klinks hide. And hide. And hide... Takes 3 to 4 min for another series of combat and at that time it was 5 feds vs 9 klinks. And we can't cloak and hide like abunch of baddies. so... Fix the ques and make it so klinks can't hide from the feds. I understand the surprise attack portion. Put a 60 second timer on it.
Just had a thought on this as well.

Why do you expect the Klingons to launch straight back into combat after having lost? They've attacked, they've not been successful and yet you expect them to immediately regroup and do the whole thing all over again? Personally I'd expect a delay in that case. Not just because they need to regroup and reposition but because they might need to come up with a whole new plan seeing as the first didn't work

As for new ships joining...that's just unfortunate and is a symptom of the way the arena matches are currently designed rather than a cloak issue.