Lt. Commander
# 1 Atari sale
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Aside from all the unhappiness of the sale on atari and those of us who bought game at launch getting a bit of the shaft. I think the one LARGE issue being missed is the fact atari is blatently falsely advertising it, saying the infected raidisode is currently live and in game. We can't even play it on the test server and yet they are selling the game as if the content is there and available currently and advertising "expanded content play now!". Cryptic is facing enough bad press and feedback with this game the LAST thing they really need is to defend themselves against false advertising from the one company most closely attached to them with this game. I won't even get started on the "become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy" comment they make.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Maybe they are giving the 2 months free in the hopes that the server wont look dead in a week.

It is a bad sign though if the game is already being reduced not even a month after release. I knew that CO was on a downward spiral when I got a FREE week about a month after it went live. Then more FREE time a month after that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM
It's getting easier to justify canceling lifetime even if you do enjoy what little the game does have. If they keep adding on free time with content that update so slow, the money might just be better spent paying for 1 month every 3 months to keep up with the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Actually I think its a good thing they give players 2 month free, they should do that for everyone playing though, because right now most of the people will quit before the 45 day patch (that probably will take at least 60 days anyway).

So the 45 day patch is already a huge failure, even if it would patch up the game to a AAA title, which it most certainly will not.

I really hope they give everyone a second free month, that may keep up the subscription numbers to a point in time where this game is actually worth of a subscription fee.

As most seasoned developers and gamers know, subscriptions you lose will most probably never be back to the game again, ever. And the headstart and early release players are the ones that liked the game the most from the start, if you lose those you end up with a dead game (that of course can still be profitable, just not to a point that it turns over enough money to develop the next game).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
as an even bigger kick in the pants, I thought, hey why not take advantage and get a physical copy of the game with 90 days for $40 and save $5 on subscription costs, and turns out can't even order it from atari with the discount if you're in Canada lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Actually, EVE had some problems in the early days then turned into a great game and people are still joining, if only to try it.

If STO actually cared enough to make their game UNIQUE and, hopefully, fun, then they can pull it out of the gutter.
But the key, of course, is that this game doesn't remind everyone of some other game that either A: Did it better, or B: Did it first, or C: Both, which is the ultimate kiss of death.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaezing
Actually, EVE had some problems in the early days then turned into a great game and people are still joining, if only to try it.

If STO actually cared enough to make their game UNIQUE and, hopefully, fun, then they can pull it out of the gutter.
But the key, of course, is that this game doesn't remind everyone of some other game that either A: Did it better, or B: Did it first, or C: Both, which is the ultimate kiss of death.

EVEN launched as a vastly different game than STO is. EVE was innovative for its time, STO is not in the slightest.

EVE had sandbox elements, STO does not. EVE was a rich and complex game, STO is shallow and simple.

Can you then use EVE's success story as a parallel for how STO might turn out? No, because their launches are completely different.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post

EVEN launched as a vastly different game than STO is. EVE was innovative for its time, STO is not in the slightest.

EVE had sandbox elements, STO does not. EVE was a rich and complex game, STO is shallow and simple.

Can you then use EVE's success story as a parallel for how STO might turn out? No, because their launches are completely different.
To quote myself:

"If STO actually cared enough to make their game UNIQUE and, hopefully, fun, then they can pull it out of the gutter.
But the key, of course, is that this game doesn't remind everyone of some other game that either A: Did it better, or B: Did it first, or C: Both, which is the ultimate kiss of death."

Clearly, or at least I thought clearly, I am implying they do need a lot of work. Pardon me for not stating it in 5th grade terms. All I was getting at is that the game is not necessarily dead IF Cryptic cares enough to do the things I mentioned - in other words, to overstate it, completely overhaul the game so that it isn't like every other fricken game except with maybe more interesting ship-to-ship combat. How big an IF that is is unclear. Honestly, and let me be crystal in my clarity, it feels like they're relying on the Star Trek name to get them sales, which (and please flame me if my assumption that you'll understand what I'm trying to say is totally false) is pretty much exactly what almost every other star trek game has done.