Lt. Commander
Okay, Kirk did it constantly. But in modern Star Fleet away teams are usually led by the First Officer at most. I think we should have an OPTION to send down an away team with only Bridge Officers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2010, 03:23 AM
In theory this would follow TNG canon, but really, can you imagine how dull that would be? Your AI away team goes down and does the mission whilst you sit there in orbit doing a bit of paperwork in your ready room? Mmmm feel the thrills.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaezing
Okay, Kirk did it constantly. But in modern Star Fleet away teams are usually led by the First Officer at most. I think we should have an OPTION to send down an away team with only Bridge Officers.
And you control one of the officers? That could work I guess...but then you wouldn't have kits or be able to hold two weapons..or one weapon and unarmed combat.

Also just a bit of an fyi...During Kirks time he wasn't "suppose" to go on an away team...he did it anyways. Captains don't have to follow that order if they don't want to, while sure it's a rule its one of those rules that are more along the lines of a "suggestion with a slight force".
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
In theory this would follow TNG canon, but really, can you imagine how dull that would be? Your AI away team goes down and does the mission whilst you sit there in orbit doing a bit of paperwork in your ready room? Mmmm feel the thrills.

Al
Hmm..this would prolly be used to get free skill pts. (either for both you and you BOff's or just for your BOff's) So I would have to assume that you would have to control one of your officers instead of your main toon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevara
Hmm..this would prolly be used to get free skill pts. (either for both you and you BOff's or just for your BOff's) So I would have to assume that you would have to control one of your officers instead of your main toon.
Well, yeah, you would obviously assume control of whoever went down.

As to the kit thing, well, if the Captain goes down the Captain gets the kit. If the Captain doesn't, the FO gets the kit.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Sorry but where,s the difference you are either controllong the Captain or someone else. If you are going to do that you might as well go down as the Redshirt who always dies.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Sorry but where,s the difference you are either controllong the Captain or someone else. If you are going to do that you might as well go down as the Redshirt who always dies.
Well the point is that I, as the captain character, do not want my character going down on planet because I, as the captain, would never do that.

It's an immersion thing. If we're not going to bother with doing things, generally speaking at least, like star fleet did them then we're not really playing star trek at all.

We might as well just call the game Star Forces: Wars Beyond the Universe or some such bullsh*t and give up pretending that we're doing anything related to star trek at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 04:55 AM
You as Captain wouldn't do that, tell me what proportion of all the episodes and films did the Captain not go down with the away team.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
You as Captain wouldn't do that, tell me what proportion of all the episodes and films did the Captain not go down with the away team.
Gee, Picard almost always. I think he went on like maybe 6. Okay, that's probably an underestimate, but even on that planet with the terrorists who used personal teleporters to go anywhere it took a kidnapping to get him off the damn ship.

Kirk was an exception.

Janeway didn't always go and she was a pushy....

Cisco - actually I don't know, I didn't watch DS9 until later on.

Archer? I think he kinda had to.

So...

Anyway, I do believe I made the word OPTION in caps, if you didn't notice.