Lt. Commander
# 11
02-28-2010, 01:09 AM
The problem with the CE isn't the CE itself. Sure, it spams a lot of shards but a challenge is enjoyable as well.

No, the problem is people not listening to the collective knowledge about the action and treats it like a normal battle.

You can't use anything that is targettable like mines, boarding shuttles or heavy plasma torps. These are collideable objects for the large shards that will result in small shards healin the entity.

Best would be if the majority were focusing on the entity and when the large shards starts to spawn a few will focus on keeping the large numberrs down as well as targetting smalls.

Any ships hit by a large shard must target the small shards before they can get away.

I am still hoping to find a instance without mines
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-28-2010, 01:39 AM
I've actually got to agree with the OP on this one. Yes, I've seen it done...its doable with 10 reasonably experienced people who know what they are doing and do it right. On the flip side, the open instance really doesn't let you effectively team and I've seen folks in the zone for the sole purpose of screwing everyone else over. In beta it was too easy. Now, the best I've heard it described is an exercise in frustration even by the folks who finished it. The idea would be good for max level content with preformed teams. As a lvl 17 fleet action with open teaming its certainly not working as a fun leveling fleet actoin. And when you add in its the highest level fleet action currently in the game (that works), it doesn't leave a good feeling. It needs toned down to a reasonable difficulty level where the average group of leveling players can beat it in 20-30 min. My two cents...your milage may vary.

Wuff
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsat
The Queue is broken. U cant kill the CE when ure only 10 or less in the map. Not with Lvl 17...
PLEASE FIX THIS - This is the main problem now, we can not get more then 4-5 guys into an instance. THere seems to be more then 20 instnaces going at one time so just pile everyone into a single instance untils its full then move to the next instance instead of spreading us out!!!!!!

FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
After several individual tries, I finally got into an instance where we killed the CE. And there were like 8 of us. It is not hard to just pay attention to what people are saying about the battle, and do it right.

To get people into the same instance, all you need to do is open your freakin map, and press the 'change instance' button. It is not hard. When I did it, there were about 10 instances with 2 people each, and two 20 player instances, which I couldn't join because they were full. There was a single instance with 7 people in it so I joined that one. Guess what? That was the winning team.

Ironically, it wasn't even worth it. I was like #5 or 6 on the damage list, and didnt get any reward for the encounter, and the mission reward was absolutely terrible. The mission gives like 103 skill points, and a crapy item I wasn't going to use. Very dissapointing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Actually my experience so far has been that you cannot change the instance. It specifically tells you there is no "change instance" for the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Again,

Open your map, and press the button. it works. Don't click the top of the minimap, that is broken.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Just wasted 30 minutes of my life killing it with a 5 man team, only to lose it all in two seconds when a few randoms flew into the large crystals and healed him back to 80%. Really, get rid of this encounter's ********. Remove the random element to it, or remove the heal. This simply doesn't seem fair, you're wasting all your time just to lose it thanks to some randoms.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-03-2010, 08:09 AM
The CE encounter should be turned into a mini "Task Force" where you are required to form a team before encountering it. Problem solved. In general I find this game is heavily skewed to the "pew..pew..pew" mentality and discourages teaming and support. I don't think that's the right mentality because as harder challenges get added, people who are used to soloing are going to have trouble.

-- my overall suggestion create more content that encourages teaming and playing in a team. We don't have to be locked into rigid roles, but new players need to experience on working in a team.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I also have to agree with the OP but I think there are two solutions, coming from completely different perspectives.

First option, as the OP suggests, turn down the difficulty of the encounter. The encounter is beatable, this is true. I have fleet-mates who have beaten it as recently as yesterday. However, the majority of my fleetmates have given up on it, including myself. I've tried it no less than fifteen times and I don't want to count how many hours. I also can't count how much time I've spent trying to politely tell people what to do and how to beat it. Unfortunately, too many either won't listen or are purposefully griefing. So, with a PUG, I really believe this mission is nigh impossible simply because, as the anti-nerf people say, the problem is teamwork -- too many people refuse to listen and be part of a team, but the way the instance is set up, you have to work with these morons. So, option one is turn down the difficulty so these morons don't screw it up for everyone else.

Second option is to step back from the entity itself and actually turn this into a real "Fleet Action" and start to embrace the meaning of that term. Allow the players to create private instances for fleet actions, such that their chosen teammates (and fleetmates) can come in and work together. Currently, according to a Dev post elsewhere, the system is not setup to allow this. That may be a side-effect of some other way in which the game was designed, but if it was on purpose (or simply an oversight), it was a stupid design decision (or oversight).

I don't bother with this mission anymore. To me, it is broken. And it's not because I need to L2P (in general, I would like to see difficulty in the game increased, especially for the Doomsday Machine mission)... it's because the mission forces me to rely on multitudes of other people who refuse to L2P.

Anyway, to the OP, spam away sir, spam away.