Lt. Commander
# 101
01-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2data View Post
Does anyone notice how, the Romulans, from a male dominant heirarchical structure, has now turned into a matriachal system? Even more so with Tomalak 'retiring' and even with the death of Tal'aura.
I don't think the move is as much a societal shift (though certainly there's a lot of that going on right now) as it is people (who happen to be women) grabbing for power and opportunity. However, I always found it interesting that Donatra would proclaim herself as Empress, a title that hasn't been used in the Empire for a very long time.

Quote:
-Also, while on the subject of Romulans, why would Donatra, as self-proclaimed sovereign empress, defer to Tal'aura in the decision of borders and Neutral zone. Should it not be a joint effort?
Based on my reading of the text, it was Federation involvement that Donatra deferred to Tal'aura, not the establishment of new borders themselves. Though it would certainly be to her benefit in some ways to have Federation support, it could also backfire if there's a lot of anti-Federation feelings among her subjects. So, I can see her officially defer that decision to Tal'aura, knowing full well that she would reject it, while her statement of 'welcoming Federation input' would open some informal channels of communication out of the public eye. A very Romulan political move, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladedge View Post
Wouldn’t the surviving Klingons rather kill themselves rather than be taken prisoner and disgrace their family and their house.
Unless they have critical information that retains to the survival of the empire the Kilgons won’t be asking for the survivors.
was wondering the same thing myself.... but then again the Dominion had Martok prisoner for a long time. Maybe the Klingons weren't in much of a position to do anything about it when they were captured... stunned, wounded... maybe the Gorn used a new weapon that the Klingon officer in charge decided was important enough to get info back to the Empire....
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Bad news for the Romulan people. It seems like the Empire is falling apart and the arrival of Sela can not be good news for anyone. Since she wants nothing more but the destruction of the Federation. At this point Fed's are better of supporting Donatra and her fleet since she is willing to cooperate with the Federation and has been and ally in several incidents.
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Very pleased to see this. Twists and turns, twists and turns, always the way to go. I expect we'll see more surprising developments before arriving at 2409, and I approve, for whatever it's worth.

I sometimes wonder if history is simply the chronicle of "things which could never happen" actually happening?

A series of surprises, at the very least.

Thanks again for this latest installment!

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
B4... wonder if this will be a sort of android uprising meets borg on steroids flashback to the eugenics wars?

Bajor finally in the Federation... bout durn time...

Here's to hoping Species 8472 doesn't somehow infiltrate the great link and mess with their genetics...

Gorn... nice to see them coming back as a force to be reckoned with. Always liked the gorn... lhere lizard lizard...

All in all I can see this is building up to some major conflicts and some interesting political moves. Now about that Ferengi shop on DS9... =)
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Medo View Post
Bad news for the Romulan people. It seems like the Empire is falling apart and the arrival of Sela can not be good news for anyone. Since she wants nothing more but the destruction of the Federation. At this point Fed's are better of supporting Donatra and her fleet since she is willing to cooperate with the Federation and has been and ally in several incidents.
True, but don't forget the Klingons. I think it is over the fate of the Romulan Empire that the Federation and the Klingons decisively part ways. The Klingons are obviously itching to take at least part of the Romulan Empire for themselves (or strengthen the Romulan civil war as a means of vengeance for Romulan interference in their own civil war), but the Federation doesn't want that because it would upset the old balance of power that had resurged following the Dominion War and Cardassia's defeat.

I think at heart, the Federation does not want to see the Romulan Empire fall apart because then the only other major local power is the Klingons, resulting in a far less stable bipolar situation as compared to the multipolar balance that existed before the Dominion War.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anichent View Post
This timeline doesn't make sense when it comes to Bajor. According to Star Trek loose cannon novels, Bajor entered the Federation in 2376, not 2384. Check out Star Trek Deep Space 9: Unity (the novel).

Everything else is good so far though...this one thing just doesn't make any sense, especially when they based so much on the novels for the other years and then for 2384 they just ignored the fact that Bajor already enetered the Federation about 9 months after the end of the Dominion war.
Hi Anichent,

Sorry if this has been touched on already, but I wanted to help out, and I haven't yet worked my way through all eleven pages of comments.

You've sort of answered your own question here. Cryptic regards the novels as "soft canon" only -- meaning, they'll take ideas and elements from the novels which work for them, but they do not feel obliged to follow these sources to the letter, not least because they aren't true canon like the TV shows and movies.

So, why didn't they follow the novels in regards to Bajor's admission to the Federation? Possibly because what Cryptic has in mind works better for the game they have planned -- possibly because they just wanted to do it differently. We may never know.

It may help to think of the soft canon stuff (all the novels, the comics, et cetera) as suggestions, while only accomodating the TV episodes and films is an actual requirement.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polt View Post
Although I am happy to see the continuation of the story, I am - disappointed - that the original comment about Cryptic reading the books and taking info from them to use - isnt being held to.
Polt, my friend, it was never said that the novels would be treated as true canon (like the TV shows and movies) but rather as "soft canon", meaning that Cryptic would pull ideas and elements from these sources as it suited the game they're making, while feeling free to leave the rest. Some ideas will be ported in whole (the Romulan political crisis, post-Nemesis); some will be modified (the circumstances of Bajor's Federation admission); and some ideas may not be imported at all.

Not picking on you in the least, Polt, merely using your post as a place to speak up, since I've noticed lately that a number of people seem to believe that the novels = canon script for the game, and it was never meant to be so.

If you see some of the other video interviews with Jack Emmert after the Las Vegas game reveal, here or on YouTube, he does clarify this, since pretty much every interviewer asks him about it.

I can only imagine that it's enough of a nightmare making sure all the official canon elements get properly accomodated while creating a game which builds on same -- to try and factor in all the novels and their "soft" continuity as gospel -- especially when said novels are ongoing beyond what's now in print -- well, it could easily become a game-breaking nightmare, I'm sure.

As I said elsewhere, best to think of the novels as suggestions or possibilities, while only the TV shows and movies are guaranteed.

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The Ferengi open a gift shop on DS9 That's a nice touch which I'm sure will come in useful in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the update. Makes for interesting reading.

A couple of POIs:

- Does anyone notice how, the Romulans, from a male dominant heirarchical structure, has now turned into a matriachal system? Even more so with Tomalak 'retiring' and even with the death of Tal'aura.
Not necessarily true, my friend. If you watch the original series episode "The Enterprise Incident", that episode featured a powerful, autonomous (for the 1960s, anyway) female Romulan Commander, leading not one, but three vessels (as I recall).

The suggestion there is that women have always held positions of power and authority in the Romulan Star Empire, as far back as Kirk's time. Quite groundbreaking for a 1960s TV show, actually, although its impact is lost today.

So, it's not so much a shift, as perhaps a shift back -- or a widening of the lens to include elements which have been overlooked for a while.

Cheers,

KOS