Lt. Commander
# 111
01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
The Federation looks like better keep the home fires burning because they are gonna have their hands full by the looks of things.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
When the borg knows about odo ,maybe they want to "collect" him...Shapeshifting borg drones,uhh
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
In complete agreement here, Fvillha. The issue I see with Sela's longevity is - she's a survivor. She failed to have the Klingon governor assassinated (TNG: "The Mind's Eye"), failed to keep the Duras family in power (TNG: "Redemption, Pt II"), and failed to successfully invade Vulcan (TNG: "Unification, Pt II"). Such high-profile failures would have been literal suicide for most anyone else, but Sela still manages to become Proconsul? That speaks volumes about this woman's ability to survive by any means necessary - and bodes ill for Donatara's fledgling government should she actually become Praetor (under normal circumstances I wouldn't think a half-human/Romulan would qualify, but after the Shinzon debacle and Tal'aura packing the Senate with her supporters, these are anything but normal times for the Empire).

As for playing for the Romulan faction at startup, I'm all for that obviously... Yet, even if the Romulans aren't playable at startup, I'm very glad to see the Romulans who normally take such back seats in the various series, take such a center stage here... though I have to wonder what the Empire will actually look like by the time we get to officially play for them.
Pends the direction Cryptic writers have in mind, but I can see Sela trying to use her past connections with the Klingons to pull some treachery to gain their support for a better position, maybe agreeing to give up some part of the Empire, hoping to gain the Praetor Seat or take Donatra's. In the Novel Death in Winter Sela was given another black eye by the Feds (Enterprise), so I can imaging she's not happy with the Empire, Feds or herself, so she'll probaby do something real treacherous and dumb like Shinzon did.
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
man its good to be back its me or i sense the backup of Data will reemerge
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Another great update!

I find it interesting that there's no mention of where the Gorn attacked the Klingon vessel - was it in Gorn space, Klingon space, something else? (I feel somehow that a genuinely unprovoked attack is unlikely.) Wherever the Gorn were and whatever they were doing there, there was a reason to attack the Quv and a reason for the King to deny responsibility while refusing to release the surviving Klingons. The most obvious reason for that, to me, is 'the Quv saw/heard/found something and couldn't be allowed to report whatever it was.'

I wonder what it was. And I wonder if my crazy brain is grasping at straws, but I've got some fun speculation going on in my head.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Been lurking on the timeline stuff. Kinda was hoping for some enhanced humans showing up with their own empire.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad View Post
Been lurking on the timeline stuff. Kinda was hoping for some enhanced humans showing up with their own empire.
Sssshhhh, Khan was reborn like Spock on the Genesis planet, just took longer to reform, and his been cloned by the Romulans for the next Nemesis II movie, "Revenge of Shinzon"
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Polt, my friend, it was never said that the novels would be treated as true canon (like the TV shows and movies) but rather as "soft canon", meaning that Cryptic would pull ideas and elements from these sources as it suited the game they're making, while feeling free to leave the rest. Some ideas will be ported in whole (the Romulan political crisis, post-Nemesis); some will be modified (the circumstances of Bajor's Federation admission); and some ideas may not be imported at all.

Not picking on you in the least, Polt, merely using your post as a place to speak up, since I've noticed lately that a number of people seem to believe that the novels = canon script for the game, and it was never meant to be so.

If you see some of the other video interviews with Jack Emmert after the Las Vegas game reveal, here or on YouTube, he does clarify this, since pretty much every interviewer asks him about it.

I can only imagine that it's enough of a nightmare making sure all the official canon elements get properly accomodated while creating a game which builds on same -- to try and factor in all the novels and their "soft" continuity as gospel -- especially when said novels are ongoing beyond what's now in print -- well, it could easily become a game-breaking nightmare, I'm sure.

As I said elsewhere, best to think of the novels as suggestions or possibilities, while only the TV shows and movies are guaranteed.

Cheers,

KOS
Thanks for the excellent sum-up, KOS.

We're looking to novels and other soft canon resources for inspiration, but we aren't using them as absolutes. Some things from the soft canon we will use, other things we will disregard, and still other things we will change to create the game world of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-03-2009, 08:08 AM
i see a mention of the changlings are in this story, wonder if the Dominion will be showing themselves... i really did like thier ships and i know the klingons really did like fighting them.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-03-2009, 10:12 AM
The story's pretty good. I'm really enjoying the Romulan political stuff, as well as mentioning the Voyager EMH.