Lt. Commander
# 161
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
You know, throughout The Next Generation, there was no indication that Data's android body was special, only ever the positronic brain was special and problematic. Holographic matrix brain androids should be completely possible, since holographic matrixs have been shown to be extremely stable.
I always wondered why Star Trek never touched this subject... It after all is the most logical beyond the positronic.
Lt. Commander
# 162
01-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zott
I always wondered why Star Trek never touched this subject... It after all is the most logical beyond the positronic.
I can't really tell why they never brought it up, I think the idea that holograms are holograms and not programs set in really fast, so no one ever thought differently on the writing staff. In universe, the only reason I can think of is that the equipment to run the holographic personality at interactive speeds would be too large to fit in an android head, and that the rest of an android body has to be dedicated to other systems. But that just barely strikes me as a reasonable explanation, considering Moriarty and his girlfriend were stored in a single cube only three inches square, and ran in a device about two laptops thick that could simulate an entire universe for them to explore. For one personality and a system that needs to interpret the universe, not dream it up too, I think the system would be a lot smaller. At worst it might be only a little bigger than a human brain, it's not like Star Trek is at a loss for large headed aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 163
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
I can't really tell why they never brought it up, I think the idea that holograms are holograms and not programs set in really fast, so no one ever thought differently on the writing staff. In universe, the only reason I can think of is that the equipment to run the holographic personality at interactive speeds would be too large to fit in an android head, and that the rest of an android body has to be dedicated to other systems. But that just barely strikes me as a reasonable explanation, considering Moriarty and his girlfriend were stored in a single cube only three inches square, and ran in a device about two laptops thick that could simulate an entire universe for them to explore. For one personality and a system that needs to interpret the universe, not dream it up too, I think the system would be a lot smaller. At worst it might be only a little bigger than a human brain, it's not like Star Trek is at a loss for large headed aliens.
Why use an Android which takes many, many years to manufacture when you can slap in a holo-emitter and get the same job done?

Also, Starfleet isn't much in the way of playing God and making artificial life forms. The Doctor is an advanced program that resembles sentience so much so that he eventually grew beyond his programming and, as is going on now, is fighting for his right as a sentient being. I suspect Dr. Zimmerman is going to come down and say "He went here and cured me out of some need to save his father. That's a sentient being if I ever heard one."
Lt. Commander
# 164
01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Why use an Android which takes many, many years to manufacture when you can slap in a holo-emitter and get the same job done?

Also, Starfleet isn't much in the way of playing God and making artificial life forms. The Doctor is an advanced program that resembles sentience so much so that he eventually grew beyond his programming and, as is going on now, is fighting for his right as a sentient being. I suspect Dr. Zimmerman is going to come down and say "He went here and cured me out of some need to save his father. That's a sentient being if I ever heard one."
Yeah Dr. Zimmerman Will be the one to save the day more then likely. Quite a bit more moaning and gumbling, but save the day none the less.

Star trek may not like to create life, but they all want to master the Android, so making one with a Holographic brain just makes sense. The problem with that might be it is unable to operate the rest of the body holographically.
Lt. Commander
# 165
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
I'm not sure if it matters, but when you click on "The Path to 2409" on the side navigation on the main page, it is missing 2384.
I would also like to point this out. Through this thread, I can easily view the 2384 update, but when I click on the Path to 2409 category on the main navigator on the home page, it only lists the years 2379-2383. I'm assuming this is just an small oversight by Cryptic, and I hope someone catches this and links 2384 into the sequence we have so far. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 166
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Gonna be interesting to see where all these threads go. Hope that they come up quickly, they'll be a blast to read back to back..to back to back and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 167
01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Cryptic you're doing a great job of advancing the Star Trek timeline. I'd selfishly like to know though what Picard is up to during this time? No mention of him so far in your timeline. Presumably he is waiting for the Enterprise to be repaired?

Also someone said earlier that it was shame that B4 didn't have all of Datas memories. But he did! Data downloaded them into B4 during Nemisis.
Lt. Commander
# 168
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post

Since when has it taken years? And why would it have to be Starfleet to build them? Data made his own Soong type android in an episode of TNG, it took days. The only hard part was the brain, because of the positronic network's innate instability when initially forming. It crashed a few days after a personality started to form. Starfleet didn't build data, and Data's project, I think she was called Lal after she chose a sex, was Data's own side project. You're also ignoring that the Doctor's mobile emitter is from the 29th century, that's about 400 years more advanced than anything the Federation has. Any modern Starfleet mobile emitter should be the size of a large briefcase, at the very best. Realistically, it should be much larger, probably the size of what an android would be anyway.

For the Doctor's rights, all that needs to be done is propose a trial like Data's, cite Data's case and the situation with the Exo-Comps and Wesley's nanites, then case closed. Then the case can be retried in civilian court, that one will be as hard as Data's case, but it can cite the same evidence, it might be tougher, though.
Lt. Commander
# 169 Agreed
01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
Cryptic you're doing a great job of advancing the Star Trek timeline. I'd selfishly like to know though what Picard is up to during this time? No mention of him so far in your timeline. Presumably he is waiting for the Enterprise to be repaired?

Also someone said earlier that it was shame that B4 didn't have all of Datas memories. But he did! Data downloaded them into B4 during Nemisis.
I agree, I too would like to know what is up with Capt Picard. Although he isnt getting any younger, maybe they will just put him out to pasture. Which would be a waste.

Sil
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post
Happy New Year! Thanks for the story update

This is more interesting developments.

It would be very cool of the Soong Institute would be able to reactivate B-4 and improve his neural processes. If only they could download all of Data's memories into B-4 but unfortunately Data's memory banks were most likely lost in the explosion. It is interesting though, to think of B-4 operating within established parameters, and behaving like a Season 1 Data, full of curiosity and wonder at humanity.

The brief portion regarding the Klingon situation is also very interesting. It appears that the Gorn may meet the Klingon Defense Force in war. This may mean that the Gorn will be conquered then incorporated rather than peaceably recruited. Then again, will it play out that they fight each other for a while then in the process declare peace and team up? Sometimes the person you fight with initially turns out to be a good friend in the long run.
When will it be coming out though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!