Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Space pvp.

Warped into the spawn (new game, score still 0-0). Five klingons spread out in a semi-circle around the spawn point opened fire on each fed that came through the portal. Bang - it's 5-0 and one-third of the game is lost.

Space pvp.

Klingons are losing 8-0 to the feds in a perfectly good fight. 2 minutes passes and no klinks show up. 5 mins. 10 mins. Nothing. Cloaked and afk - or just left? Who knows.

These two separate pvp arena encounters happened right after each other.

In both cases, I'd queued for the obligatory 20 minutes to get into these matches. There is no excuse at all. Not even saying, "Feds/Klinks did it to us last time".

I will agree that if the PvP queueing system and lack of timer was addressed by the devs, these deliberate griefing sessions would cease to exist, but in the meantime, remember that on a single server your reputation will outlive you more than ever before. We can talk to each other, we can play on the same side as each other. We're all gamers and all trying to have fun.

Ask yourself the question next time you're asked to get involved in this kind of pathetic, skill-less playstyle. Am I really that much of an arse that I can't win without doing this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I think you're right....kudos on Klingons that actually use the cloak correctly...but shame on their houses if they use it to skulk like dogs.

I can deal with slightly unbalanced pvp play if the reward for defeating them was beefed up...I don't see that happening though.

There is no indicator either of how balanced a game is...it would be nice to have some kind of idea of this before exposing myself to a quick battle where I am dying every minute, and the damage ratio at the end is about 8-10:1. Don't you think that on its own should tell Cryptic that somethings up.

Especially now that an actual death penalty looks likely to be implemented....I don't want to play in a game where the outcome is decided before 5 seconds ticks by.

Isn't there a way from the stats that get recorded that can allow Cryptic to decide if a game was fair or not, and reduce the reward accordingly. I mean in athletics they don't go awarding records if the wind is too high...why should a pvp group get a good reward if they outclass their opponents 10:1...doesn't seem even the slightest bit fair to me?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Normally I would agree. A lot of (newer) MMORPG players don't realize that "it's a small world after all" and their names and reputations can come to have meaning. You aren't completely anonymous, so screwing people over will have consequences later.

In this case, though, I'm not convinced there will be a "later".

We've got some really shallow deathmatch gameplay here and whatever Cryptic has planned for the 45-day update, I seriously doubt it's going to be epic PvP that's going to keep us going for months.

People are burning their future reputations because they don't see this game having much of a future.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2010, 03:31 PM
You know, you mention some problems that do need addressing, but that wasn't really the thrust of your post. You're just whining at people you don't like.......to tell them you don't like them. In an online MMO game.

You know, this may be overreaching for me to speak on their behalf like this, but the response is: "We don't care."
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I care. I've seen enough Klingons that suicide, get their required points, then cloak and never leave cloak. Trust me I remember a number of them, and when I see them show up when the klingons are winning, suddenly they find themselves with little or not support, no heals tossed their way, and I'll purposely target other feds who aren't attacking them. Reap what you sow.

Unskilled players I like, hell I ain't the greatest Klingon ever, but suicidal cloak idiots who refuse to fight unless they're guarrenteed a win, get very little support from me.

That said the feds need to learn a bit of patience too. Just because we're not zooming in at full impulse, decloaking and firing willy-nilly doesn't mean we're purposely trying to screw you over. Sometimes regrouping, and planning takes time. I've been on the loosing side of a 10v6 point arena, where we stayed cloaked, regrouped, and ended up winning. Took some time to plan, but we did it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
You know, you mention some problems that do need addressing, but that wasn't really the thrust of your post. You're just whining at people you don't like.......to tell them you don't like them. In an online MMO game.

You know, this may be overreaching for me to speak on their behalf like this, but the response is: "We don't care."
What, you don't care when people play so totally unfairly that is spoils the fun for others trying to play the game fairly...if so...shame on you

which I assume you don't care about either

hope i get the chance to kill you in game
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:

I was not whining about anyone at all. I was pointing out that your reputation will follow you and that on a single shard - that reputation is shared with every single player - not just your own faction. Moreover, it reflects on your fleet as well.

But no - I do not like people who deliberately design their approach around griefing. I never have and I never will. I won't help them, I find it difficult to be polite to them and I accept they are more than likely spoilt, juvenile, uneducated, imbeciles that will never amount to much in life without it being handed to them on a plate.

Fact is, I didn't name names, I was clear that it applies equally to feds and klinks and I think, to be frank, that you read my post in the way you wanted to perceive it - not in the way it was written.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud.nz View Post
What, you don't care when people play so totally unfairly that is spoils the fun for others trying to play the game fairly...if so...shame on you

which I assume you don't care about either

hope i get the chance to kill you in game
lol u mad?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
lol u mad?
no...just p****d off at people who think that grouping around a spawn point, or cloaking & refusing to play at all, is in any way acceptable beaviour.

Since you clearly don't care about this yourself, I just express an opinion that I'd like to change your mind in the game. Give you a chance to see whether being repeatedly spawnkilled is fun or not.

Just my two pence worth. nothing personal...just wish to educate you

& totally agree with you Ellandess...this is a big problem with the game at the moment...I've not played that much pvp in other MMO's (and am only focusing on it in this one because pve combat is so pathetic)...do other MMO's come up with solutions to deal with these individuals...the only solution I see is to belong to a fleet and only play preorganised fleet vs fleet battles, which is kind of a shame for the casual player.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Thbbt, every chance someone gets to spawnkill me, they've done it, since day one. I never saw anybody hold off. Perhaps you are just the shining star in a sea of whatever, but yeah, I doubt it, everyone whines about spawncamps, and everyone does it themselves anyways.

So really, I'm not gonna notice, it's pretty much business as usual.

Edit: A few MMOs stick guards around the spawns, but all that does is move the spawncamps about 10 feet out. Spawncamping is part and parcel of every pvp MMO I've ever seen, so uh, good luck with that.