Lt. Commander
lol Ive never used one of these things. I have all manner of good ideas how it might be used, anyone have any tips or anything?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM
nothing? 10char

edit: dang caps
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Dude, relax. :p I have an n52te myself, did you get that or the n50 Nostromo (The orange and black one). I can give you some tips either way but I can't help you as much if you're using the older device.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Im relaxed lol I hit the stupid capslock on accident (New keyboard too Lycosa Razer)
N52te nostromo
I took a chance on it is the only reason im kinda ...energetic about it. Noone else I know has one
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
It's a good device, supposedly the older one is slightly more featured, but I find the n52te to be very comfortable for my larger hands (Especially since you can adjust it), plus it looks awesome! Unfortunately the support forum on the Belkin site has been offline for god knows how long, but they still seem to support it, make sure you download the latest drivers and firmware before you go any further.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/...t/detail/p/475

It's possible to program macro's into the n52te for auto-fire or auto shield balancing if you want to, but I don't do that personally. The way I have it setup is I use two "maps" (Key settings) for space combat, the red map and the blue map as a toggle, and I use the green map for ground combat as it requires less buttons. You can program the device to have different profiles for different programs but I bought mines specifically for one program STO, so I haven't experimented with that.

Gimme a minute here and I'll post up how I have mine setup...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Here's two images, one of my control layout in game, notice how I highlighted the left side in red in my image editor, that's my red map. You'll notice some buttons are not in the red highlight, that's because there are no buttons for those powers on my N52te, and I just have them there for status or infrequent use. This includes my Red Matter Capacitor, my forward weapons (So I can see their cooldowns etc) and some of my disable subsystem buttons.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3351/n52teredblue.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5604/n52tekeymap.jpg

If you look at your n52te you'll notice it's in the same shape as the device, with the AWSD keys in the middle, the only button I'm not using for a power is the #11 button, that's why the third row is only three buttons, I use the #11 button to switch to my blue keymap temporarily. Thats what the right side highlighted in blue is for, they still have AWSD but they the buttons then activate different powers. Now the n52te is not programmed to activate specific powers, it just hits whatever is in that slow on the game, so it hits 1, 7, Alt-3, or Ctrl-4 for me etc rather than me having to do this on my big keyboard.

You can program specific button presses into the n52te, you can also program in "macros" for pressing more than one button, like say Alt-7, it's not too hard to set up. I use the scroll wheel for speed up or slow down on red map and zoom in and zoom out on blue map. My directional pad is up for full impluse, right for target nearest enemy, left for target nearest ally, and down for target self (On red map). On blue map the d-pad is scan for anomalies on up, next track on right, play/pause on left, and escape on down.

To fire phasers I ress the circle above the d-pad on red, and the #15 button for torpedos, on blue map those buttons do "f" for popups nothing for #15 on blue (Yet, though I may make that my teamspeak button).

For ground missions I switch to the green map by pressing in on the scroll wheel. The green map is similar to the red map and I have all my powers and weapons where the red powers are, with fire and exploit on the small circle and #15 button etc, I still have the blue toggle but you don't really need it as ground combat has so much fewer options.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2010, 08:17 PM
When you program your own macros, best advice I can give you is remove all the delays between button presses after recording them. It's good to have some like between when you press a button and when you release it, but it should be at most 50ms, have too many of these or two long and it starts to interfere with other commands (Les is more here). Try to keep all macros less than 200ms long if you can help it...

You'll have to experiment on your own with an auto-fire or auto-balance macro if you want to do that, I just use it for rapid manual input. Though on the ground setup I do have it always press "G" before doing an exploit attack to target exposed enemies.

Hope all this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Ill look at in a sec lol im openng the site you liked about drivers/firmware
Lt. Commander
I have set up for STO a 3 modes of keycontrol: general purpose ground control, space fight controls, ground fighting controls. You need to bind unused single keys instead of some of the combination keys like ctrl 1 to the space and ground key bind in the game. Then you program the nostromo with the normal, red, green and blue modes. Make the lowest thumb switch that has the lights next to it as Shift mode key. Have the red thumb key as action key(f), 4way rocker as wasd, your roller as target enemy. first row keys is jump, run, change weapon or fire; energy, torps, and all weapon fire. Second row set the numbers one to five. Third row is other keys you would use alot. Study the key binds controls a bit and maybe write it down. In the Nostromo Editor, you have 4 modes Normal Red Green and Blue. You put in the keys for each mode and the keys that are common like wasd can be set in normal then the other modes say Use normal.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
im having an issue where I can bind the key outside of STO but inside sto, it doesnt work... for instance, I bound the 4 directions on the stick to wasd but in STO, wasd keys are 03, 07, 08, 09. Like the STO is seeing the gamepad like a keyboard