Lt. Commander
# 11
03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Totally agree. I was floored that I had to log in every single time I played.

The thing is, it may actually *reduce* security against actual hackers. People will use passwords they can remember if they have to type it every time, making hacking their accounts much easier.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
That would definitely be more convenient, but not by much. I don't think it's worth adding, since it usually takes ~2 seconds to enter a password.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Most online games I know have this feature and I never got the feeling that it opened the door to hacking by itself. Itīs tedious to retype the password anytime I switch characters... especially when doing my DOff rounds.
Different issue. What you're referring to is games going back to your character select screen instead of a login screen.

What the OP wants is for the launcher to save their password. I don't know of many, if any, MMOs that will save a password on their launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
i would prefer when u log out it takes u to charater screen and not completely out of the game doff'ing on 12 toons is almost impossible u spent hrs everyday just logging in and out i type my password about 40 times a day playing STO
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Perhaps just a "Character Screen" option in addition to "Log Out" would be sufficient.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Perhaps just a "Character Screen" option in addition to "Log Out" would be sufficient.
Most other MMOs have this. It is quite annoying to have to retype your password every time you want to switch characters. I recently made a few new alts in preparation for the up coming Q weekend, and I think I got carpal tunnel syndrome from typing my password so much.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
Most other MMOs have this. It is quite annoying to have to retype your password every time you want to switch characters. I recently made a few new alts in preparation for the up coming Q weekend, and I think I got carpal tunnel syndrome from typing my password so much.
^ this. Switching characters should never log you out of the game completely.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-04-2012, 07:51 AM
The problem is, is that you have to log in twice. Once on the splash screen and once in the login screen. I don't really understand this.

Wow and Swtor both use a splash screen the same as STO. Wow does not have a login on their splash screen, just a play button that takes you to login. Swtor does it the other way round, login in on the splash screen and then pressing play takes you to the character page. Either way, you don't have to do it twice.

Edit: Am I remembering that right? Now that I think about it I can't remember if STO does make you do it twice...I think I am going mad.

Also, niether games make you login again to switch characters which is actually insanely annoying for people who like to have a few alts.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
You have to log in at the launcher, and are taken directly to character selection. Then you have to login again when switching characters.

I'd prefer a system like LotRO or *** where you login once, either at the launcher or in game, and then can switch your characters all you want without being logged out in between.

I'd also prefer if the launcher would patch before you login, I don't really get why I need to log in before it starts patching, especially since STO is f2p now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
To the OP, and all who may be intrested. May I present LastPass which in a nutshell auto fills and manages your passwords across ALL of the sites you traffic. And the encryption is done on your end on your computer so if LastPass was hacked your passwords are safe. Check it out.