Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Tbh, people would be better off accepting that PvP in MMORPGs isn't about skill, it's about the right build, gear and finding OP ability combos, until the developer nerfs them and they go off finding new OP ability combos.

Anyone believing MMO PvP is about skill, needs a clue.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzident View Post
A both new and refreshing comment in the world of MMO's!

And it doesn't get any less silly each time I see it... impressive.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-28-2010, 07:17 AM
wow thats a bit overkill, most of the time one only needs to use Rapid Fire and HYT to get the kill...
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Hell while your at it nerf every damn skill then everyone has an equal advantage and will take 3 mins to kill each other 0_o ... gimme a ****ing break and stop asking for nerfs to everything adapt and overcome
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
There is alot of abilities Cryptic should take out, because it's no longer Star Trek, it's "Battle of the Abilities".
QFT +1

This could be a great spaceship combat game, but only if it loses the "Magic card" aspect. Subnuc beam plus cannon rapid fire alone is too strong. add in a damage buff or a damage resist debuff, and I have seen my sheilds MELT in seconds. and I cannot raise them due to the subnuc beam, then the 3 torpedoes hit and BOOM!

For all those klingons that like the current imbalance, since that all comes from ONE ship, then where is the teamwork needed to pull it off? As you claim, teamwork is needed to defeat it, right?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Tbh, people would be better off accepting that PvP in MMORPGs isn't about skill, it's about the right build, gear and finding OP ability combos, until the developer nerfs them and they go off finding new OP ability combos.

He's obviously right. People who think any mmo take skill are just flattering themselves. Granted, there are some terrible players, but getting the right keyboard setup & character build is basically the entire battle in an mmo. After that, you're just looking for more players who also have a good setup to team with.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsy
A both new and refreshing comment in the world of MMO's!

And it doesn't get any less silly each time I see it... impressive.
Well it's true. Or are you seriously believing there's any skill involved here? You ppl make it sound like rocket science.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
I`m not really concerned. I`ve had this happen to me and i get back into the fight within a minute or so as the respawn is pretty quick. By contrast i can happily sit around using several levels of reverse polarity and be immune to most damage for quite some time. I`m actually quite glad that there are ways to get round that.

It#s pvp, sometimes you die quick, sometimes you die slow, but when an enemy plays or builds well, you do die and there is no sense in trying to avoid that. It seems some people will only be happy when all ships can do is fire phasers and click no other buttons at all.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Well it's true. Or are you seriously believing there's any skill involved here? You ppl make it sound like rocket science.
Well, you know what they say about opinions...

I'm not saying an MMO requires the "skill" of an FPS, far from it actually.

Although STO pvp is not just about finding the right setup, and the cycling through those in a spammable fashion. - well it is, if people play it like that, but they will simply get killed by a "skilled" player.

Most MMO pvp is based around timers and knowing when to use certain things and when not to. I find STO pvp to be one of the most tactical I've played. (again, versus people that know what they are doing)

By your argument, no game ever... requires skill.
I can join up a Modern Warfare game and just throw random nades and noobtubes... will I kill people? sure, will I be on top of the score - hell no.
In STO if I just spam the right setup of BO skills will I kill some people? sure, will I be on top of the score - see my point?

Noone is saying the game is complicated... hardly any computer game could be if it is to appeal to the masses since "People are stupid(tm)", but even people who claim MMO's are without skill have to admit, there is a large discrepancy from the people considered to be noobs, and those that know what they are doing. Even if they are using the exact same setup.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't see how the teamwork arugment is old. This game isn't for solo play in pvp. People who work togther have alot more chance to survive and do better than the other team. A science officer is MEANT to be a pain the arse with debuffs and CC. They are meant to make your team watch each other and counter what they do.

But often I see people not even join a team in an arena. They chose to bumble around and do whatever they want. They want to tunnel vision and not help anyone and just pew pew. These players get CC'd and killed alone with no help from their team and it is the end of the world!! So because they play bad pvp we scream for nerfs when it does require teamwork to win atm or have a hope.

I read someone talking about focus firing. But guess what if you don't like focus firing then extend shields, transfer shields, hull heals and CC, debuffs and buffs from your team have to become more effective to stop someone dieing.

Battle of the abilities I also read? What else would you like? Battle of who can mash spacebar? Lets all just stop our ships 2K from each other facing. Then after a count down we will both bit spacebar until someone dies.

I hear alot about how this is skilless and blah blah. A mmo's skill USUALLY is getting x amount of people working togther as one to achieve something.

If you want to run around solo and and kill people perhaps a MMO isn't the type of game you should be playing?