Banned
Hello,

I am kind annoyed how it takes 2 clicks to reverse the space ship.

It also creates a bigger problem because of LAG/BUGGY GUI....

It takes 1 second for the click to register...

So it actually takes 2 or 3 seconds to put the ship into reverse !!!

And then it takes another second to take it into effect.

That's a FULL 4 seconds before it reverses.

TRY THIS WITH YOUR CAR and let me know how that works out for you !!!!!!!!!

This spaceship gui flies like a car and it kinda sux. Anyway... the double click is annoying.

Sometimes I just want to stop... and sometimes I want to reverse...

AND NOW COMES A REAL BRAINER FOR YOU GUYS:

Sometimes I want to reverse from forward flying.

Sometimes I want to reverse from full stop !

So do you see the conflict ?!?!?!

IF I HAVE TO REACT in a SPLIT second... and I CANT REMEMBER OR KNOW if I WAS flying forward slowly... or actually standing still, which might appear to be the same thing ?!?!?

Then I don't know if I have to just click once !!! or must make a double click real fast ?!?!?!

The opposite is true as well....

IF I AM FLYING FORWARD and want A FULL STOP !!!

Do I click once ?!??!?! OR NOT AT ALL ?!?!?!

If I do click it might go backwards instead of full stop ?!?!?!

I have just proven to you logically that this GUI is not designed FOR SPLIT SECOND HIGH SPEED DECISION MAKING OR ACTIONS.

IF THE SAME BUTTON HAS DIFFERENT FUNCTIONALITIES DEPENDING ON DIFFERENT SITUATIONS THEN THAT MAKES IT A VERY COMPLEX BUTTON TO GRASP AND USE.

CAN YOU IMAGINE A TRIGGER FOR A RIFFLE TO WORK LIKE THAT ?!?!?!? IT WOULD BE INSANE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure what a good solution would be.... but a solution would be nice.

Some possible suggestions/solutions/ways out of this control mess:

For the vertical bar:

The top 50% is forward.
The bottom 50% is backward.

Or perhaps 75% forward
25% backwards.

/\
|
|
|
--- stop
|
| reverse
\/

There could still be a FULL STOP BUTTON... but it would ALWAYS be FULL STOP... no matter how many times it is clicked !!!!!!!!

A different and possibly better solution is:

2 BUTTONS:

1 FULL STOP BUTTON
1 REVERSE BUTTON

and place them under each other....

At least this way... hopefully... I can quickly click the button I need... even if I click wrongly... I should still be able to recover quickly and press the correct button.

And fix the damn lag/low response issue, as already posted in another thread... ?!

To me this feels like a real annoying issue.....

AND IT BECOMES EVEN WORSE:

If I tripple click the reverse button it will STOP again ?!!?!?!?!?!?

STOPPING WHEN GETTING SHOT AT BY A CUBE IS NOT A GOOD THING.

SO THE WAY THIS "FULL STOP/REVERSE" CURRENTLY WORKS IS TOTALLY RETARDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it has caused me a number of unnecessary deaths and it's fricking annoying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I HAVE NOT EVEN MENTIONED THE PANIC POSSIBILITIES.

NOOOOOOOOOO OFCOURSE WE HUMAN BEINGS NEVER PANIC... NEH... WE ARE ROBOTS WE DO EVERYTHING PERFECTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WOULD NEVER EVER START CLICKING LIKE CRAZY ON A REVERSE BUTTON... NOOO NEVER... OFCOURSE NOT... WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT ??? WE ARE PERFECT ?!?!?!? ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THIS LAG ??!?!? NOOOO WE ARE GOING TO WAIT PATIENTLY UNTIL IT ACTIVATES ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (BUT what if it doesn't ?!?!? lol... see the problem ?! So many problems with this... oh my god ! )

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is a hint: make the gui more panick/action proof ! thx and have a nice day ! =D

Last edited by skybuckflying; 08-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybuckflying View Post
Hello,

I am kind annoyed how it takes 2 clicks to reverse the space ship.
Uh, try using the keyboard, unless you're too busy doing stuff with your other hand to try. By default, R stops (or starts if you're already stopped), then Q reverses immediately.

Also, the throttle takes time to decrease. Starships can't stop, start and reverse on a dime.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Just double hit "Q" on the keyboard...
Career Officer
# 4
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Simple solution is, don't use the mouse in space combat. At all. Clicking on things is always the slowest way of activating/using them. Everything has a keybind or can be given one.
Lieutenant
# 5
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
i set my 1 2 3 keys on my keyboard for forward speeds

helps a lot too
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88893130000&dateline=  1345969906
Career Officer
# 6
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
This is a good idea to use the keyboard as much as possible. I prefer to do just that in most space/ground scenarios; however, I do feel the OP's pain. I run a Quad-core with dual HD Video Cards, 12Gig RAM, and a 25Mbps Internet connection. I STILL have laggy responses when I press keys on my keyboard in battle.

I have to hit the ENGR Team button several times for it to finally register (and mouse clicking doesn't speed it up more) - and especially on ground, to use a Hypo (along with any other powers being used) requires 4-6 key presses for it to respond on practically all occasions. If I want to hit a sequence of powers as I am stepping into battle, maybe 1 or 2 of the 4 will actually register to the user interface.

Maybe there is an innate problem with the overall USER INTERFACE Response performance. It has been like this on all 3 computers on which I have played the game over the past - almost 3 years. Is there anyone else that experiences this? Does anyone have perfect or very closely effective response times on key presses and/or mouse clicks?
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Use this keybind and use your mousewheel for throttle control:

Wheelplus "throttleadjust .25"
Wheelminus "throttleadjust -.25"