Lt. Commander
EDIT: Im NOT purposefully trying to be misleading between the title and the actual content of the thread, It was originally going to be a joke based off of this thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=129619
which is titled "Fail on trying to make people think the game is dying"
I was just gonna takt that original thread and modify it to have it say the opposide. Then I started doing the research and decided to make it serious instead. I guess I forgot to change it :p

Id say wall of text, but I DO use paragraphs and punctuaion (although not always correctly lol) so Ill just say this is a long post. I will not provide a TLDR. Reading is good.
plus, technically, posting TLDR is trolling
Quote:
[Flaming, Trolling, Spamming
Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, involve any of the following activities may be subject to an infraction.
ĽNumbering of a thread, IBTL, TLDR, etc.
Im not trying to sound elitist or anything, Id like people that might actually be interested to read the thread rather than skipping to the end and asking for a summary.
This ISNT a troll (its not trolling to disagree with you), and ist isnt "bashing the game" either. Its an assessment of the situation. Well, it has become one. It was originally intended as a joke but it became more serious in tone once I started doing the research on it.

The following is my opinion, unless backed by posted evidence.

Some people just love Cryptic/Atari and state the game is fine that its "Its Star Trek its not goin anywhere" bla bla.

Then why did they drop the price and do the free 90 days three weeks after it launched? Thats a first in MMO history that I know of (to drop the price three weeks after launch - not to drop the price at all - I see this point get sidetracked plenty in these arguments). The 90 free days this close to a launch definately is a first, Ive seen enough of that concession.

Launching more incomplete than any other MMO Ive (personally) ever seen didnt help their survival chances either. MOST other MMOs that IVE seen (please note the IVE part. listing games I wasnt involved in the beta of wont help your argument here) launch with more than one faction with an acceptable level of content (I realize that "acceptable level of content" is subjective, but its generally agreed upon from what Ive seen that the Klingons didnt have it). Klingons were meant to be PVP focused, NOT to be PVP ONLY. The devs have said as much. MMOs (successful ones) nowadays usually launch with at least SOME end game content and more than 80 hours of play time (not counting replayable missions).

In another thread, someone asked if there was any other MMO that had launched with only one viable faction. Nearly everyone that replied said LOTRO. I clarified the question, asking "What MMO that had originally meant to have more than one faction, launched with only one faction?" I never saw an answer. THIS didnt help the game.

The ever upopular skill cap. They designed the skill system WITHOUT a cap in mind, them slapped an arbitrary cap onto the systm (just before launch). Im not sure the official reason for it, but personally I think it was because it would have been harder for thm to design higher end content that everyone will have a fair shot at when thy cant accurately predict the power that they will have at the level they need to be to DO said content. This creates an issue where it makes certain skills at end level useless, as you dont have skill points enough to flesh out the required related skils.

It DOESNT help either when people go "it was rushed get over it" either. The more fail "rushed" games that come out (that suceed) that people just accept the way they are because "this is normal for an MMO" and DONT get upset over, the lower the industry standard becomes. Positions that "whining" and "crying" doesnt help the game is flawed in that the devs have told us that reviews arent going to be what they look to in determining the direction of this title, they HAVE however, told us that WE are going to determine the direction of the game. They look to the FORUMS to see what is a hot button issue with the fans of the game then they determine what they want to do about this. How many times have you seen Dev posts in User created threads saying "this is a great idea, Im gonna pass this along to the design staff" or "Craig". How often in any other MMO do you see that happening? (see? I CAN be positive) That shows theyre reading the forums and paying attention (even to the "whiners" and "cry-ers").

This IMO is the worst launch Ive seen in an MMO yet. This is NOT "normal for all MMOs now". I was there for Fallen Earth's beta and launch, and they had all SIX factions, all with different starting areas, ready at launch, and that was an independant company with a unknown IP.

Atari isnt Atari by the way. They'd probably rather that you not know this, but they got bought out by Infogrames, who then rebranded themselves Atari to capitalize on Atari's well known brand name.

Add to this the financial issues Atari seems to be having. Atari is in fairly serious trouble financially. You can see this by googling "atari financial reports" or looking here (as there was a thread where Zoot and nekollx compiled this info: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=125881

The annual reports that Im finding, even from 2009/10, arent positive. Their posting more losses than anything else http://corporate.atari.com/MT-3.34-e...l%20report.pdf

As I have just learned they are currently in a 30 million dollar lawsuit over a supposed breach of contract concerning DDO. THAT isnt any kind of good news either.
http://kotaku.com/5346251/turbine-ro...-atari-lawsuit

Good articles on it:
http://www.alltern8.com/library/mmo_...em/l-4840.html
http://www.alltern8.com/library/cryp..._2/l-4858.html

Hasbro sueing for according to the article, fraud
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177372

Atricle on the "next" MMO
http://www.crispygamer.com/news/inde...s-online-game/

In addition, the state of the pre launch items that were given out - specifically the ones that were missing (I could care less that theyre replaced early on or not - Fallen Earth is the only MMO Ive ever seen that gave you an actually USEFUL pre order item, and they restricted that to one character only.) did not earn them any style points.

Add to that the wonderful PR move of giving new players 90 free days (please do note I dont really care about the sale, that was just an example earlier), essentially slapping all the people that were sticking with you in CB/OB/launch in the face and telling them they arent as important to you as the new people coming in now. The fact that theyve been entirely quiet ever since this, with the exception of a statement (ive heard of but not seen myself) of "we understand your concern and will tell the right people" is unacceplable to most people. "its thew weekend" isnt an acceptable excuse either. I read this in another thread but I like the point so Im gonna use it here "If the servers went down friday, you wouldnt accept an answer of 'its the weekend, wait until Monday and we'll fix it". Ill bet the devs/GMs/mods/suits have "emergency contact" info on each oter an ill definately bet they all can talk to each other over the phone and cxome up with a united front and an answer. This isnt the old days, where you could go off on a weekend and it was acceptable that you were unavailable to get ahold of because you might not have a phone (and THATS even a stretch). EVERYONE has email now, cell phones, land lines, text devices. Its practically unthinkable that there is NO WAY to contact them because "its the weekend"

The apologetic types and the fantypes of Atari/Cryptic say that the "whiners/Criers/rabble rousers" are the minority. The other side say THEY are the minority. Honestly, I believe that BOTH extremes are the minority.

I do believe that most of the people is this game arent posting on the forums; that theyre happly playing the game (or that theyre unhappily leaving the game). Atari/Cryptic NEEDS to do some kind of in game polling to determine what THOSE people want from the game bwefore thty make any kind of drastic changes to the game because of the "silent majority" (imo) a percentage LIKE THE GAME. that percentage may be upset when the game changes without input from thm. They might not as well, as they might be used to it from other games by now.

Personally, Im going to be asking for a refund come Monday of my LTS and sub monthly. Ive personally lost faith in Atari to be around for a long term amount of time. IF Atari WERE to fail (assuming the game doesnt fold without their parent company) Id personally doubt that the LTSes would xfer to whoever the new parent company is, and Ill be damned if IM gonna pay $240 for a game only to have to resub later because Atari went down.

I WAS going to close with the trollish last line from the original thread, but Ill say this instead:
This game IS in trouble. You can choose to SEE it or not thats up to you, but just because YOU CHOOSE not to see it doesnt make it not there.

Now; I wait for the flames to roll in, as its inevitable that they will
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Read it all. Agreed with it all.

Here is a TL;DR Version for you

Atari doesn't have much money.

Atari had one shot to make some money.

Atari blew that shot by personally ruining their own game with poor marketing.

STO is the only game that I have wanted to play only to stop because of decisions made at the top.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree as well... slap in the face to us. Going to be canceling on the 5th I think, but I'll give Cryptic/Atari some time. If they extend our free play to 60 days, well I'll stay, and with the new content that will come in those 60 days I would probably be willing to sub. Otherwise, as the saying goes, I'm history.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Agreed with entire post.

During beta, DEEP IMPACT took a vote and decided to bypass this game.

Things that swayed our decision were:

> very static and unresponsive mobs (exactly like City of Heroes).
> Klingons being shafted as a true and equal faction.
> Hand Drawn graphics (very dated way of doing things.).
> Lack of promoting this game while on the heels of a blockbuster movie.

Sadly, I will have to put Cryptic on that list of companies I will never buy from again, as this
is the biggest failure since Funcomm's "Age Of Conan".
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
There are many ways to view the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2010, 09:02 AM
All of that to say that you think the game is in trouble.

Noted.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA_Pappy View Post

Noted.
that's how a majority of these threads go ( both fanboi and hater lemming )....

spouting opinion and specualation as fact.....

...and then getting all bum-hurt and violently defensive when they are called out for it....

Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Well written and I also and asking for a lts refund come Monday.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I read your post and I find it well written which is uncanny for these forums

I've been a firm supporter of the game since day 1. I have done tons of launches before and so i pushed a lot of the problems off as such. Which is fine, I got no problem playing a MMO that's not complete (because no mmo can be complete), no end game content (because I personally don't think mmo's should HAVE end game content anyways since... there is no technically end game of an mmo anyways), and the klingon side was just fine (it's pvp dont really care if it has extra content out of that or not).

Now when I first heard about the first price cut I said to myself meh oh well whatever. Just trying to get people. 10 bucks off no big woop. And I shrugged it off.

However - Now adding on top of that an ADDITIONAL 60 days free? yeah, that obviously is going to spark insane tidal waves and even I'm ****ed. Sure, I can pay the 14.95 a month but I agree with almost everyones post that this is a HUGE FU to those that were in head start or even just OB. This in itself won't cause me to leave. But I can see why people would want to leave because of it.

Atari really needs to think about this. I'm sure come tomorrow we'll have a response to all the posts and such by craig or someone else high up trying to calm us all down.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA_Pappy View Post

Noted.
I think I covered that in the "all this is my opinion unless backed up with links" part, thx for the bump though
Closed Thread