Lt. Commander
# 11
02-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Agreed. It is definitely in the Trek formula to find out about an antagonist well in advance to why or how they are your enemy.
Not really - in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" the encounter had no warning, and everyone involved was quite confused for a bit - that is, until Mr. Spock figured it out, natch
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Not really - in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" the encounter had no warning, and everyone involved was quite confused for a bit - that is, until Mr. Spock figured it out, natch
That's not always how it is. The Voyager series is the perfect example of getting attacked first then learning about your attackers. Basically there isn't anything wrong with the way the Terran Empire has been set up in STO, and in a way it does add that feel of Star Trek to the game.

Why am I fighting Starfleet?? Oh they are from the mirror universe!
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
That's not always how it is. The Voyager series is the perfect example of getting attacked first then learning about your attackers. Basically there isn't anything wrong with the way the Terran Empire has been set up in STO, and in a way it does add that feel of Star Trek to the game.

The Jem'Hadar are another example of the feds fighting an enemy before they knew what was going on (See DS9 episodes: 'The Jem'Hadar' and 'The Search' parts I and II).
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:

Problem is that the in-game text ( for the defence mission) is a spoiler as it assumes you know who O'Brien is before you've even got a hint of the story line.
Some re-writing, or a short intro when getting to DS9 would smooth it over. Something akin to " Oh, and we've had reports of Federation vessels that swear allegiance to someone named O'Brien firing on friendly ships. Keep an eye out for them until we find out what's going on."
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Agreed. It is definitely in the Trek formula to find out about an antagonist well in advance to why or how they are your enemy.

Thats not true. The first contact with the borg for example by Q

The first contact with Q ......

I loved the storyline since Im RA 5 and it all explained itself at the end.

It added mystery to it all
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdure
Problem is that the in-game text ( for the defence mission) is a spoiler as it assumes you know who O'Brien is before you've even got a hint of the story line.
Some re-writing, or a short intro when getting to DS9 would smooth it over. Something akin to " Oh, and we've had reports of Federation vessels that swear allegiance to someone named O'Brien firing on friendly ships. Keep an eye out for them until we find out what's going on."
Or having watched some of the Star Trek DS9 tv episodes...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdure
That wouldn't make too much sense because the first thing any Starfleet officer would do is run O'Brien through the database and eventually get all the info about the mirror universe etc. At DS9 they would probably relay this information to you.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
That wouldn't make too much sense because the first thing any Starfleet officer would do is run O'Brien through the database and eventually get all the info about the mirror universe etc. At DS9 they would probably relay this information to you.

Exactly, so they shouldn't mention O'Brien at all when facing Terran Empire ships during the"Beta Ursai Defence" missions, which, when you accept the mission, is supposed to be defending the sector against the True Way (mentioning O'Brien is a spoiler to those of us who know about the mirror universe anyway.)

That's why I earlier suggested correcting the issue by swapping the sector Enemy Contacts to match the story arc 'reveals' a bit better.

As for the DS9 "intro text" I wrote, it was just an example that's supposed to be a teaser. The idea being that (storyline wise) there was no info yet about the 'rogue' ships even though in game they have "Terran Empire" emblazoned above every ship. Changing the Enemy Contacts, or removing the O'Brien spoiler text from the Defence mission would be preferable anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't know Valdure, its not really a spoiler. Think about it like this, watching all the Star Trek shows is like going to Starfleet Academy and learning about those missions/adventures, or whatever you want to call it. When you go out to defend the sector and an enemy mentions O'Brien's name then as a Captain you may remember studying about it in the academy.

I guess it depends on your point of view though. Personally I have no problem with it. I think it fits perfectly with the Star Trek theme and does add a sense of being the actual captain of a ship to the game, but that's just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Sorry, but it doesn't fit if you fight ships that proudly carry their ISS on the hull for multiple missions and the bridge officers comment on that with things like "The Terran Empire has taken over this base. Expect typical agressive behaviour". Then in the first story mission a ship that identifies itself as "I"SS Whatwasthename under captain Shelly and the first thing your officers do is asking Starfleet command where the "U"SS Whatwasthename is and have no idea what just happened.