Lt. Commander
# 21
03-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Well, this thread has gotten a bit off topic, but from the story line flow perspective the appearance of the Terran Empire ships in the Beta Ursai sector is about 5 levels too soon.

As K-Tar pointed out, it would be like watching an episode or series out of order. Like watching "Best of Both Worlds" and then having it 'supposed to be' followed by "Q Who" (first encounter with the Borg) and wondering why Picard doesn't recognise the Borg.
I'm okay with the whole idea of running into an opponent, and then through the story arc trying to find out what their background is (Like 'The Lost' in City of Heroes where you fight them for the first 30 levels but during that time get hints to their origin.) Right now the Terran Empire story isn't flowing well when you are expected to be surprised by the encounter with Captain Shelly in the intro arc, but you've been battling them for 5 levels.

A good example of how to do it would be the Romulan arc where there's some shadowy presence that you encounter for the first time in the Admiral Taris story arc, but haven't fought yet.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Sorry, but it doesn't fit if you fight ships that proudly carry their ISS on the hull for multiple missions and the bridge officers comment on that with things like "The Terran Empire has taken over this base. Expect typical agressive behaviour". Then in the first story mission a ship that identifies itself as "I"SS Whatwasthename under captain Shelly and the first thing your officers do is asking Starfleet command where the "U"SS Whatwasthename is and have no idea what just happened.
haha you know I completely forgot about that mission, i've been thinking about the one where you SPOILER ALERT!

travel to the mirror universe and have to close up the conduit/hole, whatever it was, between both realities because that is the one that reveals where the ships are coming from
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
haha you know I completely forgot about that mission, i've been thinking about the one where you SPOILER ALERT!

travel to the mirror universe and have to close up the conduit/hole, whatever it was, between both realities because that is the one that reveals where the ships are coming from
Mark for spoilers:

That was the last mission in the arc. Before that there was the one with the orb where Captain Shelly is introduced, then we had the one where they try to take over DS9 and redirect the wormhole where O'Brien explains "everything" and is killed and then we got the one where we go into the mirror universe to close the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdure
A good example of how to do it would be the Romulan arc where there's some shadowy presence that you encounter for the first time in the Admiral Taris story arc, but haven't fought yet.
Yes, I can't wait until we finally have to face them. They are mentioned later in another mission, I think that story arc will be great, but either Cryptic keeps it secret or it will start around a year from now.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
More spoilers:

I remember it now. The one with Captain Shelly was supposed to be a battle simulation between 3 ships. The other ship got destroyed, you disable Shelly and board the ship. I thought they had taken over the USS whatever, I don't remember it being the ISS version though. Unless I'm confusing it with another mission.

I'm playing through everything again with a different character so I'll pay attention to the order of things.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
@ attilio

Mark to read text:

That was another mission about Undine infiltration. The one with Shelley was where you have to get the Orb from the Cardassian ambassador and have to fight against the True Way. When you capture the Orb the Cardassian Gul tries to flee but is shot down by captain Shelly for failing to bring the Orb to her.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Its coming back to me now. I don't remember the dialog for the end of that mission, but if my crew acts confused about the whole ISS thing then it definitely doesn't make any sense and maybe the dialog for that mission should be changed.
Lt. Commander
# 27 Terren Empire Nacelles
01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
BTW presumably the terran empire have the same tech as the federation, why are their warp nacelles purple?
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpBird
BTW presumably the terran empire have the same tech as the federation, why are their warp nacelles purple?
The Terran Empire is far more stylish than the Federation. The Vera [STO won't let me put her last name here] of that universe was vastly influential.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
So its a "problem" you find that there is an enemy force from the mirror universe, and who/where that enemy is, before you find out how they got here???

lol...
Not so much a "problem" as it is "silly" that SF would give you an actual mission(defend block) against the Terrans before giving you an explanation that they are there.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
It's a minor bugaboo, admittedly, but it does confuse some people...

They mostly voice it in chat - I hear every so often "WTF?!? Why am I fighting Starfleet??" when doing the exploration missions in Zeta Andromeda. This of course from people who have never heard of the Mirror Universe. Those who have pick up on Terran Empire immediately
I think that's sort of the point. It's supposed to be a "What the hell are they doing here?" moment before you discover how they got here and work out a way to stop them. Confusion is part and parcel with the story.