Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
Dear Cryptic,

HUGE CLUCKING WALL OF TEXT.
JEBUS CHRYSLER
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post
Circular logic.
We both understand this phenomenon of not being able to train outside of your profession
Why do you feel the need to restate your case over and over if you are not being offensive?
I don't know how many scientists it takes to install an engine, but boy howdy it's probably a lot.
Clearly there is a wall here, and neither of us are getting anywhere with our discussion spoons.
What we chiefly need good sir, are jackhammers.
Yes, you heard me right.
Jackhammers.
For which to pound through the wall of arrogance that you have erected to mightly around yourself.
It's okay to be wrong you know. You might want to try it sometime, before that pedestal of yours that you have sat upon comes crashing down.

Good sir, it is within reason to state someone's case objectively without name calling, or harrasment of any kind. I would appreciate some semblance of courtesy in our future endeavors.
Henceforth, I shall remind myself to steer clear of you in the forums, lest I get the 4 horsemen of apocalypse thrashed down upon me like so many stinging angry bees, and I good sir, am alergic to bees.
Plus I don't like death. It's just not me, y'know?

Also, had you taken the time to remove your head from your arse, you'd have noticed someone kindly offered to give you the bridge officers you so desperately want quite awhile ago.



For someone touting reading comprehension, you lack it.
But please, continue validating yourself by degrading people TRYING TO HELP YOU.
Jesus H Christ...
LOL. Still didn't read my post, I see, and now you are trolling in full force too. I'm sorry if you think I'm arrogant, could it just be that I'm right? And somehow that bothers you so much that you've resorted to insane analogies about spoons, jackhammers, the apocalypse, etc. What can I say to this? Not much.

Anyway, I'm breaking my own rule even responding to this... sigh. And, I did message that guy, but he was mistaken: he did not actually have the BOs that he claimed to have. Because they don't exist. Which is the whole problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
That's one formidable wall of text

I was going to comment but I see the flaming troll wars has started, so I'm out
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
LOL. Still didn't read my post, I see, and now you are trolling in full force too. I'm sorry if you think I'm arrogant, could it just be that I'm right? And somehow that bothers you so much that you've resorted to insane analogies about spoons, jackhammers, the apocalypse, etc. What can I say to this? Not much.

Anyway, I'm breaking my own rule even responding to this... sigh. And, I did message that guy, but he was mistaken: he did not actually have the BOs that he claimed to have. Because they don't exist. Which is the whole problem.
So you don't really have a problem with me, and all that backhanded passive agressive BS was just for the fun of it?
I think you need to keep your ego in check. I think it was running the show.

...

[edit]

I did read it.
I didn't see the need to respond to every single bit of it.
It appeared that you were using your own personal account and calling it the way it is.
I'm fairly sure you can get bridge officers with those skills. However, I too haven't found one. I logged into the game moment ago to check. I have plenty of rare and even an ultra rare officer, none of them have those abilities. But some have untrainable skills. That is to say, skills I cannot myself train to a tactical officer, as I am a science officer.
I think I remember reading a dev post that said ultra rare and rare bridge officers can have skills that you just cannot train, hence why I re-pointed to the other fellow in the thread. I assumed (yes, I know what doing that does) that he had what you were looking for.

For what it's worth, I agree that if you take the effort into putting 9 points into a skill, regardless of whether it's in your field or not, you should get the ability to train your bridge officers. Even if it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever learning a tactical or science skill from an engineer.

I don't ask my mechanic about doing my taxes, the same situation applies here.

But again, it wasn't my design decision to do that.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
You're just making my argument for me... because even though you're wrong, you believe it anyway because when you click on the Sensor Probes skill in the Skills tab of the Character Status window, it says "Learning all nine ranks unlocks the skill to train officers Scramble Sensors III." That's why Cryptic needs to fix this issue; even people who post on the forums a lot, like yourself, don't even know this and are bound to pick the wrong class, wrong race, wrong trait, and wrong skills based on the notion of creating a character around being able to train a certain skill, only to later discover they were deceived.
I stopped right there.

If you're too lazy to read through what all your various choices can do, then you don't deserve those abilities to begin with. I read what every single one did before making my skill decisions so that I would make the best decisions. It's all in the game.

There are only a very few skills that can only be trained based on your class, and no other trait matters other than what you put your skill points into. Most of the skills are on the tree for every class of character. Just open your eyes and look at the skills.

Don't tell Cryptic to fix something and hold your hand through character creation. Read what the skills do. Is that really too much to ask? Am I the only person who reads directions in gaming?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGoddessLindsey View Post
I stopped right there.

If you're too lazy to read through what all your various choices can do, then you don't deserve those abilities to begin with. I read what every single one did before making my skill decisions so that I would make the best decisions. It's all in the game.

There are only a very few skills that can only be trained based on your class, and no other trait matters other than what you put your skill points into. Most of the skills are on the tree for every class of character. Just open your eyes and look at the skills.

Don't tell Cryptic to fix something and hold your hand through character creation. Read what the skills do. Is that really too much to ask? Am I the only person who reads directions in gaming?
Wait, what?

What, exactly are you suggesting that I did not read?

You misunderstand my argument. I'm saying that the in-game documentation IS WRONG, and therefore, since players are being given MISINFORMATION by Cryptic, they cannot make the properly informed decisions about their character, particularly when it comes to spending skill points, but also potentially when it comes to decisions they make when they roll a new character.

I read the entire user manual, all the game text, etc. I mean, if you're so sure that I didn't read the manual, then can you quote me somewhere in the user manual or tell me where in the game text it says that if I level to 9 in Sensor Probes that I won't be able to train a BO in Scramble Sensors III because I'm not a Science Officer -- even though in the description of Sensor Probes it says that I will be able to? Because if it does say that somewhere, then it doesn't say it anywhere obvious or nearby to where it does say that if you get those 9 levels you'll be able to train BOs in the skill.

Also, you say there are "very few skills that can only be trained based on your class" -- can you give me an example of a III-level, non-Engineering skill that I can gain the ability to train BOs in? I'd like to know. (Obviously, you can buy powers at the power store, or buy BOs that have the skill already, and do it that way, but only for skills that are available through those means.)

I really don't see how you thought I'm asking Cryptic to hold my hand through character creation. I do think their documentation is not very thorough, particularly the printed manual. But, yes, of course I read every in-game text about my skills before picking them -- that's not the issue. The issue is that the in-game text IS WRONG.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post
For what it's worth, I agree that if you take the effort into putting 9 points into a skill, regardless of whether it's in your field or not, you should get the ability to train your bridge officers. Even if it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever learning a tactical or science skill from an engineer.

I don't ask my mechanic about doing my taxes, the same situation applies here.

But again, it wasn't my design decision to do that.
The rest of your post is obvious trolling.. except for the above quote.

Aside from that... I'm glad you agree on the principal point. We will have to agree to disagree about whether it makes sense or not.

To me it's not really like a mechanic who does taxes. It would be more like the captain of a submarine teaching the sonar specialist how to do the sonar, even if the captain had never actually been a sonar officer himself. What's the guy going to say, "No sir captain, I refuse to follow your orders and learn this skill from you! Baww!"

To a lesser extent it's like a proctologist teaching a dentist how to do a root canal. But if the proctologist happened to have mastered the fine art of root canals, what would prevent them from teaching it? Because nobody would want his hands in their mouth? You just have to find the right person to practice on. Just like finding a Science ship to practice on, hence my suggestion that if you have a Science ship equipped, then you could train a BO in that skill.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
Also let me reiterate something that may have gotten lost in all this:

NONE of the BOs that you get as awards for leveling up EVER have High Yield Torpedoes III, Scramble Sensors III, or several others as well. Why?

PLEASE FIX THANKS
Nothing to fix. You put points into certain abilities to unlock them ONLY if you are the right class. If you're a science officer you cant train HYIII.

Working as intended.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElder
Nothing to fix. You put points into certain abilities to unlock them ONLY if you are the right class. If you're a science officer you cant train HYIII.

Working as intended.
In the hopes of getting the thread BACK on topic, and to add onto the prevous poster:

It was a development decision to only allow you to train those level 3 abilities within your own class
Engineers get the Emergency III skills,
Tactical gets the overload, fire at will, high yield IIII skills
Science gets Scramble, Jam, Tachyon III skills


It was never intended for say, a science officer to be able to train their BO's High Yield 3. The intention is to make people TRADE their BO's to another captain (tactical) who CAN train them for you...thus creating a dependence between the three class types and keeping you from "having it all" so to speak.

The problem is, you can't trade BO's you already activated right now...but I did read in one of the state of the game dealios that they do intend to change this.

Again, hopefully this will get the thread bck ON topic for discussion and away from the childish flaming shown thus far.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
..why in the name of God would you expect a tactical officer who is little more than a thug with pew pew abiltiies to be able to train warp theory to an engineer in the first place?

Because the SKILL TOOL TIP SAID SO? The SAME skill tool tip that tells you absolutely nothing else useful is what you decided to listen to?

Going to bed now, LOLing.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 PM.