Lt. Commander
# 1 Efficient engines
02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Just did that City on the edge of never quest specifically to try to get this item but I did not get it. Can anyone confirm that this has been removed? Or do I have to remake my char to not be gimped by -5 all energy compared to everyone else?

OTOH, knowing Crptic they remove the item because people liked it.

edit -

Basically if you dont have the engines you are 5% down on everyone who does, so you may as well cancel your sub.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
That's f'ed up if they removed it. At RA5 I still wouldn't trade that thing for any other engine. If I'm doing a daily quest, and I get 1 of those to collect 5 data nodes, I just switch with a mk x engine for fast full impulse. Otherwise I never even switch out of my Efficient Engine as there's no other engine with those stats.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2010, 07:16 PM
lets fail less shall we? the actual quest reward engines are from the follow up to city on the edge of never, "past imperfect". the City on the edge of Never quest finishes when you get to the guardian of time. at that point you can talk to admiral quinn and get "past imperfect".

city on the edge of never gives your choice of 4 ground weapons, past imperfect gives your choice of 2 space weapons, a space shield, and the engines.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 04:27 AM
I just did past imperfect and got no reward, just skill points. I guess it was for a limited time only?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
lets fail less shall we? the actual quest reward engines are from the follow up to city on the edge of never, "past imperfect". the City on the edge of Never quest finishes when you get to the guardian of time. at that point you can talk to admiral quinn and get "past imperfect".

city on the edge of never gives your choice of 4 ground weapons, past imperfect gives your choice of 2 space weapons, a space shield, and the engines.
Yeah, I finished it last night. Didn't get the engines. Those engines are better than ten points in warp core training. Anyone who does not have them will be seriously gimped.

This really messes up the games balance. There will be two classes of people, those with the super-duper engines of doom,and the pleb who are cannon fodder. The devs would be correct that they are imba, but why not just reduce it to +2 all power instead of imbalancing the entire game?

Its like rebalancing dps down. exept for people who already have the uber lasers.

I didn't see anything about this in the patch notes about this. Cryptic kept this quiet because they know they have done somehing badly wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 04:37 AM
All they need to do is offer a slightly better one for admirals and no one will care.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonto
All they need to do is offer a slightly better one for admirals and no one will care.
True. But will they?

edit

Even the same ones at admiral would be OK. Any other engines are suck next to them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenstein
True. But will they?

edit

Even the same ones at admiral would be OK. Any other engines are suck next to them.
They are slower so you could be kitted, but that is what balances it out IMO. And I would get them if they were the same also.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Hm... can you probably explain what are you talking about? Like the stats on those engines...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorant View Post
Hm... can you probably explain what are you talking about? Like the stats on those engines...
+5 to all power levels, I think engine power may be excluded. Basically they add ten percent to your weapons power, shield power and aux power.

Its kind of like being the Joined trill and all your BOs having efficient. Only its better as it does not have the stacking penalty. And you can have the engines and use your joined trill etc. If other people have the engines and you dont you are at such a massive disadvantage you may as well give up.

OK, they were really imba and needed a nerf. Crptic should have just nerfed them down to +2 all stats. But they decided unbalancing the entire game was the better option instead.