Lt. Commander
the synergy bonuses gained from having a couple people at your side are outrageously high. it seems the first side on the map to run into a couple other players almost always wins as the just move around steamrolling the other side as they solo respawn. so far, it seems like dumb luck. if I happen to be on the side that first forms the critical-mass we win, if the other side forms it first we lose.

it makes the lameness or gheyness factor of ground combat rise hugely

a giant part of this is also that the ground combat maps are more deathmatch oriented. in space with the deathmatch maps there is a similar problem, but for some reason it's not as bad. I don't know why. in the space strategy maps the non-deathmatch objectives help water this down tremendously.

perhaps if there were more strategy ground combat maps? resource node gain, capture the flag, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
or a pure deathmatch ground map
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 12:05 AM
While I do find that the first side to group up does have an advantage, it doesn't guarantee the match. What I've found is that the better team tends to win. Yeah, you might gain an early advantage. And in an even match, that might decide it. But overall, not a huge factor.

Maps don't have dead ends. Maps show where everyone is. Everyone moves at the same rate. So someone might spawn too close and die, but beyond that, it isn't too hard to move away from people and hook up with your buddies.

When I've been part of a steamroll effect, it is usually due to three reasons:
1. The sides are uneven. 2 or 3 on 5? Yeah, that's going to be a slaughter if the 5 are competent.
2. The other side doesn't try to group again. So we keep finding them one at a time and kill them. That's not the game's fault, that's theirs.
3. My side has better and/or more team orientated players, so even 5 on 5, we come out on top.

Usually, it is #1 or #2. The first is due to the crappy match making system. And the second is due to crappy players.

Quote:
perhaps if there were more strategy ground combat maps? resource node gain, capture the flag, etc.
We could definitely use more types of PvP scenarios. But it wouldn't change the fact that an organized side with synergy amongst its members will have the advantage. Matter of fact, the examples you gave would benefit the organized team even more.