Lt. Commander
# 1 Is Tachyon Beam broken?
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Hello, people.
I thought i should try out science officer, and saw the skill tachyon beam. In theory, it sounds amazing...but how does it work in the "real" life?
1. Does it actually tear down the shield, better than firing a salvo of phaser or disruptors
2. Does it prevent the shields from recharging as the text concludes?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I use Tachyon Beam 2 and I like it. It drains a % of the shields with most of the power being used on the shields you are facing. Typically I using a combination of torpedos and beams during the drain I can get one side of the shields down from full to the orange range.

As far as the shields recharging, I do not know how long that lasts, if it is for the duration of the Tachyon Beam, or a certain amount of time after.

It is a fun ability though, and one that I use quite often.

I also use Charged Particle Burst 3, once I get close, pop that since it decreases shields by 310, iirc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Only got Tach Beam 1 at the moment, and for the first 15 lvls it was really helpful but against the ships I am facing now lvl 28 Tach Beam 1 is still of use but it won't rip down shields like it used to. It is a useful skill to have as a Science officer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 06:40 AM
ok, thanks for the replies

I trained up tachyon beam II, so i have to try that one out

So a good combo would be tachyon beam through their shield, then target their shield subsystem?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by egilagre View Post
1. Does it actually tear down the shield, better than firing a salvo of phaser or disruptors
2. Does it prevent the shields from recharging as the text concludes?
No and no.

The ability is worthless, because Cryptic doesn't know how to balance games.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Tachyon beam is ultimately worthless.

The primary reason is because in order for it to make any noticable difference at all, you need to keep your AUX up at 100+. This costs you too much in your other power levels. If you want to tear down shields, you are better off equipping two or three energy weapons and cranking your weapon power to max.

Tachyon beam also has the weakness of requiring a forward 90' arc, which makes it unnecesarily difficult to use.

No matter how you cut it, Tachyon beam is no replacement for energy weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
The last time I checked there was no Science BO ability for Beam Weapon.

Is it better to not have an ability at all?

It is designed to be used in conjuction with beams and projectiles, and does help.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Worthless. They should probably make it so that it immediately drops the tgt shields (like the phaser proc), but have the duration / probability depend on AUX and skills.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
If you went with that theory then the complaint would be "Too many abilities drop my shields".

I do agree that the duration should increase if you have higher amounts of AUX.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Now if it stopped all shield healing abilities (especially RSP) with a duration based on aux that would be trully usefully. Keep it a short duration like 3-15 seconds but then that would finally give people a counter to reverse shield.