Lt. Commander
# 1 Mass Effect 2 - STO Comparison
03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Mass Effect 2 vs. STO

Crafting:

ME 2: Take a break from the main story or companion side stories to explore a solar system to gather minerals to upgrade your weapons. Right there the crafting is more involved than STO.

Exploration:

ME 2: You happen to find a signal on a remote planet. Launch a probe to find that it is a distress signal or derelict space craft. You go explore it. The effects are amazing in all of these completely different missions. Sometimes you are on a wobbly ship about to fall off a cliff (which moves as you walk around it) or you find a crashed ship whose mech cargo has activated and will try to kill you as you escape with the ships logs. Again exploration feature, much better than STO.

Content:

ME 2: Playing the game once, you will not reach max level. There are incentives to play it more than once. e.g. the changing dialogue determined by the choices your character makes or playing as bionic, infiltrator, soldier, etc. In STO once you hit max level (in a shorter time than that you beat Mass Effect 2) there is no reason to even log on. Unless you want to do the dailies specifically designed, not with your enjoyment in mind, but to keep you as a customer for months grinding for useless purples.

Cost:

STO: I think STO would have made more money if it was like an action multiplayer. Logon, queue up for some space battles, then quit. Like Diablo or Guild wars - this game shouldn't have a subscription fee. It simply doesn't have enough content or replayablitiy. I would pay a subscription for Mass Effect 2 over STO.

Graphics/Audio Design:

ME 2: Graphically, both games are fine. This depends on what art style you like. As far as the audio design, STO has the license to music everyone on earth knows and loves. However, ME 2 voice overs are absolutely HUGE in scale. This is combination with video clips here and there make ME 2 again better.

Community:

STO: STO is an MMO. However I find more entertainment and social interaction posting and reading the forums. I was in a fleet, I was on vent with them. Winning or losing in PvP didn't matter, so long as I was top damage. Even if we lost and I was top, I just got more XP than some of you on the winning team /haha

Conclusion:

imo, Mass Effect 2, even though it's a single player game, will give you more entertainment and definitely more of a Star Trek feel. If Single player games are beating you in every way except for community, you are nothing more than a glorified chatroom.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcubed
Mass Effect 2 vs. STO

Crafting:

ME 2: Take a break from the main story or companion side stories to explore a solar system to gather minerals to upgrade your weapons. Right there the crafting is more involved than STO.
Going to disagree there. Probing for minerals in ME2 is every bit as boring as hunting anamolies in STO. If not moreso.

Except for Probing Uranus, which was comedy gold from the Bioware team.

Exploration really isn't much better either. All those missions were specifically crafted, rather than random generated content. So you can't really compare the two. Some were very good, others beyond terrible (Fixing the solar panels comes to mind)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
STO.... 200 hours of gameplay...

ME2.... 50 hours of gameplay...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelu
STO.... 200 hours of gameplay...

ME2.... 50 hours of gameplay...
Nah.. I beat STO in 3days 14 hours. 86 hours total. 200 hours if you sit around doing nothing for 114 hours...
(and i say beat, because after RA5, you have beaten the game)

Noted: You can't compare a single player to an MMO. But hands down, for what STO offers as of right now, 3 weeks after launch, in my mind, there is no debate about it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Nah.. I beat STO in 3days 14 hours. 86 hours total. 200 hours if you sit around doing nothing for 114 hours...
(and i say beat, because after RA5, you have beaten the game)

Noted: You can't compare a single player to an MMO. But hands down, for what STO offers as of right now, 3 weeks after launch, in my mind, there is no debate about it.
I beat the game in less than 30 hours and that was with doing all the side quests, research etc.

It reminded that I play MMO's because they don't have an ending
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Going to disagree there. Probing for minerals in ME2 is every bit as boring as hunting anamolies in STO. If not moreso.

Except for Probing Uranus, which was comedy gold from the Bioware team.

Exploration really isn't much better either. All those missions were specifically crafted, rather than random generated content. So you can't really compare the two. Some were very good, others beyond terrible (Fixing the solar panels comes to mind)
Meh, it beats doing the same missions with different skins. I was thinking more of the lines of Klingons. The only PvE mission is exactly the same, every . single . time .

I would expect Mass Effect 3 to be released faster than any Klingon content added to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
But isn't ME2 about watching a movie, listening to endless amounts of dialog, then making a choice between good guy, bad guy, and neutral guy (not so bad guy)? Then watch another movie, finally fight a few bad guys, then rinse and repeat. That's how bioware games go for me, "Will you shutup and let me get to the fighting".
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Meh, it beats doing the same missions with different skins. I was thinking more of the lines of Klingons. The only PvE mission is exactly the same, every . single . time .

I would expect Mass Effect 3 to be released faster than any Klingon content added to STO.
Recruiting your companions is doing the same quest just there rehased with different dialogue,

The enture game is the same thing from beginning to end, it's all take and pew pew.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Mass Effect 2 vs. STO
Space Combat:

ME 2: ...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
At least in STO, your Crew has the decency not to whine at you about their drama, or try to kill each other and blame you for taking sides. Sometimes i felt like i was watching an episode of "7th heaven" with some of those cut scenes. "Waaa, Miranda is bossing me around. Waaaa Legion was looking at my diary" I was waiting for the dialog option "Don't make me turn this ship around and cancel the mission you two"

Also, Crafting was BORING. It's like they got a sneak peak of STOs crafting and they thought "How can we make it even MORE lame. Also, let's make it a requirement for the best ending just to annoy people."

Content was ok. The side missions just felt like target ranges that could have been substituted with wooden ducks. Also, the meat of the game was playing Dr. Phil with your crew. "Waaa our food sucks, Shepard go grocery shopping for us." I mean really? can i expect an expansion where i have to do Legion's dry cleaning?

Also, Trying comparing ME2 Space combat to STO's space combat.... oh, wait.

ME2 was a good game, i would even say great. But let's not pretend it is some Prodigy that we should base all our space games too.