Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
90% of the PvP pug arena's that I lose is because I spawn into 5 Klingons already camping the Fed start area.

What happens is mostly the Feds take a huge time to actually join the arena game once the bugged indicator pops up, if it ever pops up (if it doesn't, somone has to keep checking the pvp window to make sure his turn hasn't come yet).

Thus, when they enter the game they find already 5 already waiting Klingons firing at them. They have no chance to run away. They die. When they do, they spawn at different locations from their teammates. And if a Fed is not in a group already, which he cannot be because not everyone has joined the game yet, he/she cannot see where his/her teammates are in the map. Thus he wanders without purpose until eventually some Klingon finds him gets him out of impulse and VM/jam/snb him until his teammates get there.

This way, there is absolutely no chance of a coordinated 5v5 battle. Given the obvious superiority of Klingon ships, Fed players NEED support and heals from their teammates to actually have a chance at winning.

What could be done to fix this:

1) Don't start the arena until all players from all teams arrive at the arena.

2) Automatically team the players into an arena team that is different from normal teams that are formed outside of PvP, so that when they exit the arena, they enter their former teams they were in just before they joined the pvp. Otherwise the players have to team up all the time and when you can't see the other player in the same arena with you and you're not near him, you can't invite him to your team. Plus, some players enter the game in a team where not all players are participating in pvp, so teams become full and someguy gets leftout and as a result, cannot see the health of his teammates, neither his teammates can see his. Healing becomes almost impossible.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Yep. We've been bringing this up for at least 6 weeks. It was an obvious problem from the moment I started playing PvP matches in beta.

I thought Cryptic would be on top of it and would sort it out before launch. Here we are 1 month after launch and they still haven't even acknowledged that they realize there's an issue.

It's particularly baffling that Cryptic designers foresaw this problem in Champions Online and had a "ready room" for the PvP in that game, and then for STO they completely overlooked it. It's like the lead designer for Champions handed off STO design to his 10 year old nephew ("Yeah! Let's just, like, have this map and we'll just throw everyone into it and then they can kill each other! That'll be so cool!")
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Fun thing is this depends on the time of the day.

During primetime the huge queue of feds guarantees that if one doesn't join another pops in their place, meaning the fed team gets to 5 the fastest. During non-primetime there are barely enough klinks to make ANY queues pop so if one of them is queueing for multiples that means two matches just launched a klink short. Times this by however many doing this and you end up with an awful lot of games of 'catch the klink' in ground combat. In space we just sit in cloak until we have numbers, while the feds ***** and moan because they have to wait with us.

Only real solution is to make it auto-wipe your queues when you join a match. Simple solution at that, but I don't think Cryptic is aware of/considers this an issue. I think they've forgotten klinks, and by extension pvp, exists.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
join the club, and never qeue for solar wind, klinks practically ignore it. I've sat in an arena for 15 minutes timing to see if a klink would join, eventually i got bored and left without a single klink entering it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
At admiral level, I've seen on average only 10 or so Klink's in the PVP arena, usually spread out all over the place so there's usually not a session going due to lack of players. Been like this at least a week now. So one way to beat the Klingons is to bore them to death.

I was thinking about starting up a Klink, but if they ever develop some real Klingon content, I'd have to start all over again with a new toon to enjoy it. I'll wait till later and see.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
haha my computer can't handle solar wind.. My fps drops to like 5 or something.. It's unplayable.

Another important factor that causes this great problem is the bug with the queue pop up. Sometimes it just doesn't pop up and people miss it. When they do, a full minute has passed without another guy getting the queue to replace them.

This is why I've started to wait for the queue with the PvP window open at all times.. otherwise there's a high chance I miss the pop-up if I'm not in a vent-premade.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Solar Wind is unplayable on my machine also, and I have a pretty hefty rig. There's something buggy there.

The queue problem is bad on the K side also, but alleviated by 1] We cloak until the team shows up; 2] We don't have anything else to do but watch for the PvP notice to pop up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
compare t2-t4 pvp qeues with t5 pvp qeues. they pop exponentially more often (15 seconds vs 30 minutes)
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Solar Wind is unplayable on my machine also, and I have a pretty hefty rig. There's something buggy there.

The queue problem is bad on the K side also, but alleviated by 1] We cloak until the team shows up; 2] We don't have anything else to do but watch for the PvP notice to pop up.
Everything in the game runs like gravy for me except the wormhole trap mission. And it doesn't even make sense, it'll be fine but slowly get worse and worse until I have like a framrate of two, and if I move near the back of the wormhole it's suddenly smooth again, until I leave that tiny area then it slowly gets worse again.

There are memory leaks and issues in this game, to be sure. Wouldn't suprise me if the Solar Wind graphic did it to some people.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Everything in the game runs like gravy for me except the wormhole trap mission. And it doesn't even make sense, it'll be fine but slowly get worse and worse until I have like a framrate of two, and if I move near the back of the wormhole it's suddenly smooth again, until I leave that tiny area then it slowly gets worse again.

There are memory leaks and issues in this game, to be sure. Wouldn't suprise me if the Solar Wind graphic did it to some people.
its the wind particles, and the large amount of rendering that you have to do for all of them. I highly doubt you have encountered a real memory leak in this game, from wikipedia, important part in red;
Quote:
A memory leak or leakage in computer science is a particular type of memory consumption by a computer program where the program is unable to release memory it has acquired. A memory leak has symptoms similar to a number of other problems (see below) and generally can only be diagnosed by a programmer with access to the program source code; however, many people refer to any unwanted increase in memory usage as a memory leak, though this is not strictly accurate.