Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
It uses memory for a function, doesn't release it properly, then rather than reuse that memory for the same action (particle effect most likely) it asks for more. It continues doing this until it's asked for so much the game begins to chug.

If that's not a memory leak, what would it be called?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
It uses memory for a function, doesn't release it properly, then rather than reuse that memory for the same action (particle effect most likely) it asks for more. It continues doing this until it's asked for so much the game begins to chug.

If that's not a memory leak, what would it be called?
its not that its not releasing it, its that its still using it to render all those wind particles and they don't magically disappear.

a memory leak would be it hogging the memory for about 5-15 minutes after the images have left the screen, just because it needs more memory doesnt mean its a memory leak (also -> ram+processor alleviates the problem)
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Interesting how I didn't play ONE arena game today where I had a fair fight against Klingons from the begining. Me and my teammates spawned into a waiting Klingon party of 5. And when I questioned the Klingons on why they were exploiting poor game mechanics to win easily, the responses I got were:

pooper@datalore1974: omg we have a cry baby
Gdank@Gdank: L2P noob
Max Powers@KennyPowers: They're PvE'ers what do you expect?

Funny how uncivilized some of us are.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Solar Winds does fine on my machine with no lag or anything else strange. Thats said though, none of my friends can play that map. One friends machine has problems with the game crashing completely shortly after he gets in there and my sons machine lags so bad he cant fight on that map. Other friends problems range from lag to garbled graphics and worse.

So it plays fine on a dual xeon server with 4 gigs memory and an ati 4850 But it seems not much else runs it worth a flip.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent
Interesting how I didn't play ONE arena game today where I had a fair fight against Klingons from the begining. Me and my teammates spawned into a waiting Klingon party of 5. And when I questioned the Klingons on why they were exploiting poor game mechanics to win easily, the responses I got were:

pooper@datalore1974: omg we have a cry baby
Gdank@Gdank: L2P noob
Max Powers@KennyPowers: They're PvE'ers what do you expect?

Funny how uncivilized some of us are.
You know, I've spawned into a waiting ambush of feds dozens of times, to a death I could do nothing about.

I managed to not cry in chat about it.

Has nothing to do with whether it's fair or not. Happens to everybody. Suck it up.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrowz View Post
Solar Winds does fine on my machine with no lag or anything else strange. Thats said though, none of my friends can play that map. One friends machine has problems with the game crashing completely shortly after he gets in there and my sons machine lags so bad he cant fight on that map. Other friends problems range from lag to garbled graphics and worse.

So it plays fine on a dual xeon server with 4 gigs memory and an ati 4850 But it seems not much else runs it worth a flip.
6 gb ram and an nvidia 8600 (geforce and all that technical crap).

if it was a memory leak it would crash you for the rest of the night until you reset the system. it just requires alot of memory to process the winds on the map. its rendering ALOT of stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
You know, I've spawned into a waiting ambush of feds dozens of times, to a death I could do nothing about.

I managed to not cry in chat about it.

Has nothing to do with whether it's fair or not. Happens to everybody. Suck it up.
Everybody seems to defend the Klingons by claiming that it happens to them also.. This is funny because I play the game on both prime time and low klink population time where the Klingons are supposed to experience this. Guess what, the max games I've seen this done to Klingons is once or twice.

Everygame I played today I was camped.

So don't give me that BS about them having the same experience, too. Besides if you weren't smart enough to cloak and wait for your friends, I couldn't care less what hardships you went through.

The point of PvP is to have fun. I don't mind losing if it is for a fair fight where we clash 5 vs. 5. What they do is just rush and get an easy win. Nobody really cares about the rewards anyway, and the fact that there is very little difference between the winning and losing side rewards makes rushing and GRIEFING the enemy completely pointless.

So there is absolutely no reason for Klingons to act like this other than being jerks.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, see, that, right there. You're a bit of a whiner.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
LOL.. judge me all you want. I'm not gonna "suck it up" and stay silent in the presence of a game-breaking problem which was NOT intended.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Exactly.. This has been pointed out over and over since open beta. So far the developers haven't even acknowledged the problem. Fixing it would take less than a day or two, but I guess they have more important things to do, like counting their money.