Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I say worry about bugs before adding a DP or even thinking of it.

As some one else said you get into a sector contact and get blown up by mobs that are not supposed to be there before you can do anything since they are +35s and you are a Lt 10. Which just happened to me in Sirius sector and the contact showed -5.

There are more reasons right now to say forget a DP till things that are broken get fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowxsx View Post
I say worry about bugs before adding a DP or even thinking of it.

As some one else said you get into a sector contact and get blown up by mobs that are not supposed to be there before you can do anything since they are +35s and you are a Lt 10. Which just happened to me in Sirius sector and the contact showed -5.

There are more reasons right now to say forget a DP till things that are broken get fixed.
Well yes its a simple bug to fix and yes I have died because of it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsoul109 View Post
Heres a number of reasons a DP in STO wont work based on how the game is presently set up. Lets start with PvE first.

1. reduction in SP for death= Due to lack of content and the fact you cant repeat story line missions a player who isnt a pro mmo player would find he has to grind exploration missions repeatidly to get caught up because some story line missions are only given out at certain levels and if your between them your que will be empty.

2. anything that may cause you to loose energy credits= once again newbies will suffer greatly here and WILL result in more players buying energy credits from gold spammers. we all hate the spammers and know someone who has used them. If to much importance is put into ingame money We will never get rid of the spammers.

3. risk vs reward= Yes everyone feels they should be rewarded for a job well done or flawless victory this should be easy but its not. There is a ballence to concider here. Once again the lack of content suggest you cant get bonus SP. You will level way to fast and be doing romulan missions as an admiril. More very rare can drops. This can cause issues for PvP due to the fact the Klingons dont get the chance to PvE for the good stuff.

4. a difficulty slider= due to lack of content this wouldnt work either because once again you would be an admirl by the time you get to romulan space.

Lets look at PvP

1. having a foe being able to loot you= look at # 2 ubove it explains everything because it will come down to that real quick.

2. anything a griefer or griefer fleet can exploit to make someone misrible and never PvP again

3. Lack of PvE content for klingons= Because of this a risk vs reward system wont work because only the Feds will have the best loot from missions. They will have to buy their rares and very rares which leads to #2 ubove again.

Adding a DP at this point would out ballance the game. Keep in mind this post is based on the game mech's as they presently are and adding such things as a DP Cryptic would have to rethink everything about the game to reballance everything. If your for the DP and can prove me wrong please explain in detail your argument and where im wrong. Oh and the whole "We need a challenge" thing. Is not a viable argument. Because of the ballance issues i have shown ubove.
Well said

First off - my intention was not to get into the whole DP / no DP thing, nor to say that a DP isn't needed in some fashion. I'm still very interested in hearing about ideas around the "live added" option (instead of death take it away option) because I think thats a win win somehow - and where discussions should head (instead of we need a DP / no DP... it isn't getting anywhere to a solution).

As it is - lets focus on getting more bugs fixed and content out - then talk about LA (life added) and DP down the road