Lt. Commander
# 1 Death to Crossfire
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
why do only only targets receive the damage from weapons.....

i have people flying threw my phasers and torpedos and not taking a lick of damage. some abilities have "splash" damage but that's limited to AOE moves. the whole point of battle in space is to not get hit by any crossfire. they have line of sight for shooting a weapon, but no line of damage.

Star Trek has many examples of this in the shows and books

I would call this a major problem in the game

what do u think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Bad collision models are just kind of a trade-off with online games... It's a nice thought, but so many variables...I mean...what if you lag into a beam? or say it happens on your client, but not on the server?... it gets to be a messy thing to track...

I suppose AoE damage could apply... but then you have people going nuts because the damage model now has a whole new peripheral effect...

It's a nice thought...I don't think it's worth it though...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
i think it is much needed, but lets wait until the more serious problems are fixed first, like the stupid 15 minute log-out thing. Gonna drive me insane, it is!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
i think it is much needed, but lets wait until the more serious problems are fixed first, like the stupid 15 minute log-out thing. Gonna drive me insane, it is!

option 1: get g15 keyboard

option 2: get keyboard macro software for free
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
While i believe this is an awesome idea there are examples of how bad this could be.

1. If you are a player of the DS you would know they had this in tactical assult, it sucked when there were more than 3 ships because of the way too fast torpedo recharge times if u were hit by 1 u were hit by the next 3, so u were pretty screwed.

2. the second they made this they would go into the "I need a no friendly fire button.

3. The your perception my perception thing
Lt. Commander
# 6 daily read
03-02-2010, 08:50 AM
catchup on thread posts
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
It's a standard convention for stat based MMO's to not take into account friendly fire. In STO you don't actually aim, your character does damage based on stats. World of ******** works the same way. As a warlock I put shadow bolts through my teammates on a regular basis. If this game was first person shooter based, then stray fire would be tracked and would be dependent on you actually aiming a weapon.