Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
I have a Klingon BO that is was very hit and miss - but is now working fine after retraining her.

Originally I had her equipped with Lunge III, Lunge II, Leg Sweep II, Leg Sweep I - and she would rush into melee and then alternate between spamming the Batleh and the lower tier melee skills.

I have retrained her with Lunge III, Target Optics I, Leg Sweep II, Draw Fire I - which seems to work better.

The problems I have noticed are that:

a) If out of melee range the BO will attempt to activate ranged skills, then run into melee range, and
b) If the BO has no ranged skills then that tends to be when she will stop moving and just sit there.
c) The BO will tend to use the lowest rank available of each skill by default.

The combination of these problems lead me to swapping the lower rank melee skills with a couple of ranged threat or self-buff skills - which seems to work well. She basically targets an enemy, and if out of range casts Draw Fire or Target Optics, before running into melee and then using the melee abilities.

She hardly ever gets stuck now not doing anything - and is frequently the one at the front doing all the damage and soaking up all the incoming dps - which was the whole point of having a melee BO in the first place
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I've run into this problem myself. It was particularly noticable after the big Season one patch. I've noticed a little twist, however. My tac won't use the bat'leth unless enemies get ridiculously close (she was using it when I was trying to grab a screenie for the bug submission). Otherwise, she activates her stealth module, and stands a certain distance away from me. No Lunging, no Leg Sweeping. (Her powers are Lunge, Leg Sweep, and Stealth Module).

I've also seen her run into combat invisible, and then stand there. She did sweep the leg. Once.

At first, I thought it was the bat'leth. So, I gave her a phaser rifle and said, "We come in peace, shoot to kill." She stealthified and did nothing. Now I leave her on the ship and take the big burly guy tactical officer. He shoots things.

Bug submitted: 801,537
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant797 View Post
I've run into this problem myself. It was particularly noticable after the big Season one patch. I've noticed a little twist, however. My tac won't use the bat'leth unless enemies get ridiculously close (she was using it when I was trying to grab a screenie for the bug submission). Otherwise, she activates her stealth module, and stands a certain distance away from me. No Lunging, no Leg Sweeping. (Her powers are Lunge, Leg Sweep, and Stealth Module).

I've also seen her run into combat invisible, and then stand there. She did sweep the leg. Once.

At first, I thought it was the bat'leth. So, I gave her a phaser rifle and said, "We come in peace, shoot to kill." She stealthified and did nothing. Now I leave her on the ship and take the big burly guy tactical officer. He shoots things.

Bug submitted: 801,537
LOL, that's just great...

I really wish we could make our officers with well-suited traits true meleeists...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24 i feel violated
04-10-2010, 02:19 AM
ok, i got to ds9 and was looking around in the shops, and i saw bat'leths for sale.. next thing i think.. sweet ok i'll go buy a purple BO with natural melee stats... then train him in melee type skills, bought him a rare melee shield (damages nearby targets when hit), got him melee armour (physical damage %boost) , got him a nice mk viii bat'leth...


.. and now (you can guess what i'm going to say since i searched out a thread on the issue) he doesn't use the damned thing, and i already skilled him up to 9/9 on all 4 ground skills, the equipment is bound to me now, i spent $100k on him in the first place, i spent the time to fly all the way back to earth to train him in melee.... WTF cryptic!!!

it's simple to fix, just force equip bat'leths when equiped to a bo, hey programmers!
IF bat'leth equiped
THEN use bat'leth
END
... three lines of code, and FIXED




.. ok i admit he does use it , but only for a single attack, and then he stands there..i have to push lunge and leg sweep to get him close enough to melee, but still 99.9% of the time he palm attacks. WHY enable palm attacks fo a BO who has a BAT'LETH.. grrrrr.. the logic is soooo f'n simple.. unfortunately it's VERY evident that the gound AI is severly broken, as all of you have already pointed out most of the time BO's without ranged weapons equiped don't even attack.. they just run away. seriously it wou'ldn't take more than 10hrs to fix the code for melee BO's to work, and 40hrs to perfect it. crytpic, do what most programmers do, bring your pj's and a pillow to the office, get some mountain dew, a box of cereal, milk, bowl and spoon, mix all in said bowl, and don't stop until it's fixed.. then celebrate with a good long sh't, shower and a shave.

thankyou.. from one ex-coder to some soon to be ex-coders'
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larabic View Post
I have equipped a Tactical officer of mine with boosts to melee dmg with a Bat'leth but he wont use it. He just stands around and throws a grenade every now and then. If they weren't supposed to use them why was i allowed to equip it? Is this just an oversight?
Yeah if give them a batleth, they just stand around watching the battle
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
So you can give them close combat abilities but they won't fight in close combat ?
Smart...
I noticed this too, you can get the BOFF's with lunge, leg sweep, stealth etc., but I never see them use it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestras View Post
I set up my new security officer with leg sweep, lunge, stealth module, and a bat'leth expecting her to storm in and lay waste to some romulans. Instead, she sits there doing nothing, and I even have to tell her to use leg sweep. I really hope this gets fixed soon.

Also, a federation sword (ala Sulu in the Abramsverse) would be a welcome addition for this kind of thing.

I guess I need to give her some phasers or something for now.

I did the exact same setup with a new Vulcan BO, hoping for some melee action and she just sat there carving her name into the floor each time, oddly enough she rushes in for close range fights when she equips a ranged weapon, I believe Vulcans' logic slips sometimes . Oh well, if this bug does not get fixed, she will have to drink her coffee elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I have similar issues and filed a bug report. In my case it was a generic "Alien" made up as a Jem Ha'dar who was off of Ketracel While. Spent a lot of BO skill points and Merits getting the skills also.

To Crypitc: You have Enemy AI that can use melee quite effectively (Klingons and Jem Ha'dar specifically) It might be a good idea to think about importing that since half of the tactical skills revolve around melee combat.

In other words: FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!

In the meantime he stays on the ship and I play around with the Federation Klingon Engineer who likes to make things go "BOOM!".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Have you seen the horrible pathing AI of our bridge officers?

Have you heard of the phrase, "don't run with scissors, you'll poke your eye out?"

Before the bathleth ban of 2399, over 1 million bridge officers have lost their lives while holding a bathleth and running into walls, rocks, crates, etc.

Since then, all the major powers of the alpha quadrant have signed a ban on their ships' officers using the multi-tipped oversized razor.h
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
Have you heard of the phrase, "don't run with scissors, you'll poke your eye out?"

Before the bathleth ban of 2399, over 1 million bridge officers have lost their lives while holding a bathleth and running into walls, rocks, crates, etc.

Since then, all the major powers of the alpha quadrant have signed a ban on their ships' officers using the multi-tipped oversized razor.h
It all makes sense now. I'll try the Draksyl' solution though, thanks for commenting on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by draksyl View Post
a) If out of melee range the BO will attempt to activate ranged skills, then run into melee range, and
b) If the BO has no ranged skills then that tends to be when she will stop moving and just sit there.
c) The BO will tend to use the lowest rank available of each skill by default.

The combination of these problems lead me to swapping the lower rank melee skills with a couple of ranged threat or self-buff skills - which seems to work well. She basically targets an enemy, and if out of range casts Draw Fire or Target Optics, before running into melee and then using the melee abilities.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.