Lt. Commander
# 1 Paypal refund?
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I bought this game from a company called gamesplanet.uk, who it turns out are just a trading name for some French company called Metaboli. I paid via Paypal.

After 6 days, I had become very angry about how this game was completely misrepresented and how poorly executed, inane and tedious it is, so I asked Metaboli for a refund. They said that they are "not responsible for the quality of the game". I thought that vendors had total responsibility for the quality of what they sell, but seems that is positively Victorian thinking on my part. They also said that French law (I'm a UK citizen but never mind, we are all European now) states that because I logged in once, that is the same as "opening the wrapper" and therefore my fingers are burned permanently.

So how far would I get if I dispute the payment with Paypal? Can I argue that I am not getting what was advertised and that this piece of toss is "not fit for purpose" or something?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I hope you paid with a credit card. I recently asked Paypal to help with a dispute over merchandise that was not as described; they told me that they couldn't help. The only time Paypal will back you up as a buyer is if the dispute is over ebay purchases. Otherwise, you are probably SOL. Sorry!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Question, if you buy a shirt from some guy on the street, he tells you you look great in it, you come home, realize you don't... Would the company that made said shirt give you a refund?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Question, if you buy a shirt from some guy on the street, he tells you you look great in it, you come home, realize you don't... Would the company that made said shirt give you a refund?
Yes, although not from "some guy in the street" - from a proper legal, ethical company like I assumed Metaboli, Cryptic and Atari are supposed to be. I recently returned a suit jacket. The shop refunded me immediately, no questions asked.

Not sure why I'm debating merchant ethics with a Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
For what it's worth I have successfully disputed and received my money back or *some* money back over services before...

My argument may have been stronger than yours...but maybe not really, I think you'll need to represent your dispute better... Maybe as a "didn't know what I was getting" thing, without much detail....if it's true, and you thought the service was going to be something else...

for instance: an MMORPG is defined as having "at least one persistent world" by many outlets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmorpg for expedient example)... So if you were expecting that by definition of MMORPG, then you were expecting an MMORPG and didn't get one, by definition...

Maybe try that approach...

Good luck, and sorry that STO isn't for you....
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDeadlock View Post
Yes, although not from "some guy in the street" - from a proper legal, ethical company like I assumed Metaboli, Cryptic and Atari are supposed to be. I recently returned a suit jacket. The shop refunded me immediately, no questions asked.

Not sure why I'm debating merchant ethics with a Ferengi.
That was a **** poor analogy, since the retailer to whom you returned the suit jacket can simply put it back on the hanger and sell it again, there is no loss here (although there is a minor inconvenience to the retailer).

I fail to understand how it is the retailers fault that you don't like the game, plenty of people do like the game and its unfortunate that some don't but it is not the retailers fault that you don't like it.

You have registered the key, you have installed the game, you have activated your account and you have played the game. If the retailer did refund you, what do they get back in return? Nothing, not a penny. They can't sell your already registered game key to another customer, so it would be a 100% loss for the customer.

A PayPal dispute will go 1 of two ways, depending on how you received the game:
  1. You received the box in the post. If this is the case, you will lose any PayPal dispute because you received the tangible good that you payed for. Any digital services that come out of the tangible good are irrelevant and will hold no ground in the eyes of a PayPal dispute.
  2. You received your game key through email and downloaded the game. As such it was a digital product and since there is no tangible element to the transaction, you have no cover or protection under PayPal policy. You will lose the dispute.

I don't like the game either and I payed £30 for it in a shop, but I'm not going to try and take an opened box with a used game key in it back to the shop because its not their fault I don't like the game and they wouldn't take it back anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
I bought this game from a company called gamesplanet.uk, who it turns out are just a trading name for some French company called Metaboli. I paid via Paypal.

After 6 days, I had become very angry about how this game was completely misrepresented and how poorly executed, inane and tedious it is, so I asked Metaboli for a refund. They said that they are "not responsible for the quality of the game". I thought that vendors had total responsibility for the quality of what they sell, but seems that is positively Victorian thinking on my part. They also said that French law (I'm a UK citizen but never mind, we are all European now) states that because I logged in once, that is the same as "opening the wrapper" and therefore my fingers are burned permanently.

So how far would I get if I dispute the payment with Paypal? Can I argue that I am not getting what was advertised and that this piece of toss is "not fit for purpose" or something?
Why aren’t you posting on the store’s forums? Posting here will do nothing but gain you admiration of the other haters. Is that what you want? If you want a solution to your “problem” posting where it would make a difference might be a good start.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 06:59 AM
What your relationship with Paypal is not not a gameplay issue, take your whine to the correct place, customer services.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 07:42 AM
just let it be a lesson not to trust atari or cryptic.

there's a reason the BBB rates the company as F.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:

Call your local Council Trading Standards department.