Lt. Commander
# 501
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Marauder
Hi everyone,
First, we respect the time, energy and passion the community has put into their opinions regarding the promotion that ran this weekend on Atari.com, offering 60-days of free play.

Like many companies, we are actively trying to sell games we are very proud of in an extremely competitive marketplace and we are always testing new ways to get more people using our products. The weekend promotion at Atari.com was one of those experiments. In the case of a game like Star Trek, we believe a larger number of players is a benefit to the entire community.

We will continue to look at the best ways to add new users to our game in a competitive marketplace while keeping our current players happy. Your feedback – good, bad and ugly – is extremely helpful and appreciated.

We won’t always get it right, but we’re always trying to do the right thing by you.

We do apologize and we appreciate your patience as we continue to do our best to make Star Trek Online the best game possible.

Thank you.

Philip Dean
Director of Customer Support
Cutting through the PR id like to be frank.

I need you and people like you in and around the company to make STO profitable. I have no doubt that you will but not everyone here is as realistic as i am. Alot of people just love to live in the fantasy world of trek but i need for you guys to stay focused.

Can Cryptic make this game a profitable success well into the future?, we'll have to see, but when and if you guys do, you'll have my thanks and my subscription without any reservation.

Good Luck
Lt. Commander
# 502
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I have been a fan of Star Trek for as long as I can remember and I have played every Star Trek video game I've ever been able to get my hands on, from the 25th Anniversary game to the Starfleet Command series, from STTNG: A Final Unity to Star Trek Bridge Commander, to even the Simon and Schuster games like the Interactive Tech Manual to the Starship Creator.

With each new Trek game, I've yearned for the quintissential "perfect" Trek game. And after almost a decade of disappointments it seemed like we finally had a gem on our hands with Star Trek Online that could fulfill all of our Trek roleplaying fantasies. I've been here since a month or so before open beta, and while that process and the following launch was rough, I never complained and remained very patient, knowing that the more players that stuck around and supported the game developers, the more of what we wanted to see in the game would hopefully finally get there.

I was feeling even better when more mentions of ship interiors and possible additions of first officer slots and more explorations, etc. were mentioned as projects in development last week.

Then the past weekend happened. What I can only describe as a chimpanzee with only half a brain on ritalin somehow took over Cryptic/Atari's marketing department and not only started advertising a sale on STO after the game's only been live for three weeks that gives new players three times the amount of free play time, but they also send the ad to me and a bunch of the other STO faithful in our personal E-mail boxes!

Then, to make things worse, when my colleagues begin to express their understandable anger at this (in so many words "give-a-way") the chimp calls the rest of his friends and starts shutting them up, trying to hide their discontent from the world!

If this was Best Buy or Wal Mart selling a cell-phone with a calling plan to me, and then three weeks later drops the price on the phone and throws in a couple free months service to the beginning of the calling plan, you're damn right I'd storm in there with my reciept and demand they refund me the difference and give me the same deal as most, if not all retail stores honor exchanges or returns with a reciept within at least 30 days from purchase. But since this is a computer game and we already bought the box and this deal comes directly from the publisher, we can't get the same consideration from Atari as we would a big box retailer.

Well, this is not right. Whomever is responsible for this "experiment" and the following treatment of the loyal users who have been here since beta, head start, or even launch day still has a lot to answer to. Like I said. If this was any other product and it was sold at a big box retailer, with the same timing (within 30 days after sale) I could demand the same deal from management. Make this right Cryptic/Atari. Take a page from Customer Service 101. Treat us all the same. I still want STO to succeed. But you keep bending us over the barrel like this, I'll help those chimps in your marketing department destroy your game.
Lt. Commander
# 503
03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm sick of the BS Atari/cryptic has been giving the early players. I'm looking into filing a report against them at the consumer rights and fair trading department.

I encourage everyone else contact their countries or regions equivalent government departments. This is complete and utter BS that no one, not even the sleeziest of used car dealers would pull.
Lt. Commander
# 504 STO Promo Debacle
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
You know I fired off a ticket full of indignation and threats of terminating my account. Then I took a breath and realized the following: Cryptic/Atari really does'nt owe me a thing. They can choose to promote this game however they want. Having said that, they can also take the consequences. Personally, I would have done it another way.

This is the free market; Cryptic/Atari can promote THEIR product however they want. I can choose to keep playing or not. It really is that simple( and alot less stressful). The game will Rise or Fall on the content first and foremost. They have some work to do and a short time do do it in. Who knows? Maybe one day we will all look back on this and laugh....lol...ahem, but probably not.
Lt. Commander
# 505
03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrGarin
You know I fired off a ticket full of indignation and threats of terminating my account. Then I took a breath and realized the following: Cryptic/Atari really does't owe me a thing. they can choose to promote this game however they want. Having said that, they can also take the consequences. Personally, I would have done it another way. This is the free market; Cryptic/Atari can promote THEIR product however they want. I can choose to keep playing or not. It really is that simple( and alot less stressful). The game will Rise or Fall on the content first. They have some work to do and a short time do do it in. Who knows? Maybe one day we will all look back on this and laugh....lol
Yes it is a free market in america but even in america the consumer has rights. That is why i suggest you all get in touch with your consumer protection departments about this fiasco. Gaming companies and internet companies think they can act like this because 'oh its in the internet' or 'the consumer wouldn't do that'.
if you sell physical copies anywhere that product is subject consumer rights laws.
Lt. Commander
# 506 Since this whole fiasco.....
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Ever since this Atari B.S. marketing strategy/denial took place. I got a 5 day buddy key recently and now I can't get anyone to try it. All my friends have been reading of all this STO B.S. I can't even convince one person I know to try this game for 5 days. Most my co-workers play WoW. Some wanted to try this game when I bought it. Now....they all have negative feelings from what I have told them. Or what they have been reading about this on the forums etc. That sucks when you think about it. less then a month old and people are already are having negative feeling about this alliance. Atari and Cryptic is who I am referring too. This is the last game I buy that has Cryptic on it. They left City of Heroes/ Villains to NCSoft. eventually they will leave STO also.
Lt. Commander
# 507
03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I'll keep it short and sweet: The so called apology = a failure.

I really hope the 45 days patch content will be amazing, since there not much else keeping me here besides my friends, and most of them are planning to or have already cancelled their sub.
Lt. Commander
# 508
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpface View Post
I'll keep it short and sweet: The so called apology = a failure.

I really hope the 45 days patch content will be amazing, since there not much else keeping me here besides my friends, and most of them are planning to or have already cancelled their sub.
There will not be any 45 day patch.
At absolute best, it'll be 60 days.
At absolute best, it'll add 30% of what they promised.

Where's that test server we were told would be running by now again?
Lt. Commander
# 509
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I gave up on cryptic along time ago im just waiting for my time to run out and letting everyone know stay away from it unless u want boredom fast and blow 100 bucks plus man what a waste of money..this game for an MMO blows hard takes nothign to lvl and once there thats it nothing left to do..This is my first and last time i Ever buy a product wiht Cryptic name on it.. I have heard nothing but bad things about them and was told this would be how it is with the game short and crappy..they were right..too bad i really would have loved a good Star trek MMO guess it will never happen!! Between the server problems lacking and reptive quest and end game content and really poor CS i wont return even if game does get better which i highly doubt I think this game was grab the money and run. Just my 2 cents lol
Lt. Commander
# 510
03-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Meh. It's $30. Wah wah. New subs for development funding would be nice.