Lt. Commander
# 1 Spam Silencing
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey All,

Just wanted to send out a quick update on the spam silencing.

We've been reviewing the logs recently and have found that in some situations, the system was a little aggressive in the way it determined whether or not something was spam. We've seen a couple situations where players were not really spamming, but they were silenced anyway.

We are planning on tweaking the system to be a bit more flexible in hopes to prevent future false positives. My apologies to anyone that was affected by this. Thanks for your patience!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 08:14 PM
IMO, a very needed fix.

Thanks for looking into it. There seems to be a fair number of people that did get hit with it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
awesome. now just work on the mail spam.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Hey All,

Just wanted to send out a quick update on the spam silencing.

We've been reviewing the logs recently and have found that in some situations, the system was a little aggressive in the way it determined whether or not something was spam. We've seen a couple situations where players were not really spamming, but they were silenced anyway.

We are planning on tweaking the system to be a bit more flexible in hopes to prevent future false positives. My apologies to anyone that was affected by this. Thanks for your patience!
Cant you just hire some poor Flint Michigan guy (highest unemployment rate in US_, pay him minimum wage to sit in Sol and ban the accounts of Gold Sellers?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaxormi
awesome. now just work on the mail spam.
ya... the Mail spam is the worst.... They should bann all Trial accounts from sending ingame mail.....
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica-
ya... the Mail spam is the worst.... They should bann all Trial accounts from sending ingame mail.....
Yes they should and any trail accounts from sending in game tells as well. I get on every day to have 10 pieces of mail all about the STO gold I can buy. I have yet to find a single piece of gold in STO but when I do I will be rich like all the poeple sending me this mail then.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
/agree'd

Spammers fill my mail faster n a Tribble breeding colony. Still something has to be done about this, one can't goto Mem alpha, or Sol station without either spending 15 minutes banning the dribble, or setting a new channel that filters out Zone, or just removing zone chat entirely.

A shame for the new players actually trying to ask a question, and no one see's or can respond.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Frankly speaking, as a "false positive" who was wrongfully accused and penalized by this irresponsible and ineptly managed policy, a simple apology and promise of upcoming "tweaks" ain't good enough.

Get your act together, Cryptic. Disable this "feature" until you are absolutely, 100% certain it can NOT be abused, exploited and/or mishandled.

Anything short of that is an insult, or at best, patronizing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonenili
A shame for the new players actually trying to ask a question, and no one see's or can respond.
This. I got a wild hair the other night and decided to turn on zone while in Sol and was greeted by at least 3 players wondering why no one was responding to their questions.

Simple fix really. No /tell or mail on trial accounts. The goldsellers were nearly dead once the headstart ended. Once the trial/buddy keys came out it was headstart all over again.

As for the auto-mute. You do realize it only takes a single organized fleet to auto-mute someone. I'm not going to point any fingers but I do know it has already happened at least once. Never leave something like auto-muting at the hands of the player base. Someone is going to figure out how to abuse it and we start seeing what we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 03:30 PM
My two cents on this one:

Heaven and Hell if you wish to think of it that way.

Hell:
Ban trail accounts from sending tells and mail.
Problem solved!
Plain, simple and efficient.

Then work on baning or locking the accounts of the spammers that actually bought the game and is paying for a subscription.
Violation of the EULA. (I think)

The other side of the coin.

Heaven:
Make it not worth anything to the gold sellers.
Sell energy credits on the C-store for a little of nothing. Like 100 energy credits for 50 Cryptic points.
Gold sellers go bye bye there is no profit for them.
Another simple solution to the problem.

Then theres the dark side of the moon:
Auto ban / lock accounts found to be gold spammers.
Log the ip address of the offender then block it.
Then slap them with a law suit for lost earnings and take them to court.

No flames please just my opinion on what could be done.