Lt. Commander
# 111
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Maybe I'm a little off mark here, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be mini debate developing of fun vs. canon, and I was just thinking; when you take a franchise as big and well supported as Star Trek, doesn't canon=fun for a lot of the fans?

I understand that the game needs to be accessible to casual gamers, but shouldn't it lean more towards the true Star Trek fans and what they want? Is not their love for the franchise the primary reason why this game is being made and expected to be successful?

And thus on that note, I suggest the following:

1) For NCC registry, surely the numbers just go in ascending order depending on when the ships is commisioned.

2) For ship names, just create an authorised database from which people may select a name. It's really not that hard to find resource materials to generate tens of thousands of ship names. Hell, you pay me and i'll do it. Players can choose one of them personally or ask for a random suggestion.

3) As for character names, again, just have an authorised database of first and second names for the various species. You then either keep asking for a randomly generated name until you're happy, or pick one from the list. And again, not really that hard to do and will save a lot of complaints and hassle in the long run.

4) Keeping hordes of ships in a garage? I can just see the scene now as a Lt. Commander asks his Captain: "So sir, will we be taking the Galaxy class today, or maybe just the Intrepid?". Would it not be more feasible that when you require a new ship, you purchase it in whatever manner is used, and your old ship is made available to other players who need an upgrade. I can see it being quite nostalgic to roll up at a Starbase only to find you're docked next to a ship you used to own many moons ago, then catching up with it's current Captain so you can drunkenly tell him about the time you brilliantly beamed a brace of Photon Torpedos onto a Borg cube.

5) A lot of people seem worried about the nature of upgrades for their ships etc. My theory? Why not just upgrade your bridge crew and take them with you. Hopefully this would serve as a sufficent compromise between fun and canon. Then, no matter what ship you're in charge of at any time, your bridge crew will be there with you to enhance your Phasers, squeeze that extra bit of speed from the engines, or just simply to make the replicator understand 'Deep Fried Mars Bar'. This way your affinity (or hatred) with your crew will develop over time, which has consistently proven to be one of most enjoyable features of the Star Trek franchise: a crews collective voyage through the stars.

Just my two pence worth. Suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I think the answers we were given from the devs in this latest installment was extremely dissapointing and I'll leave it at that.
Lt. Commander
# 113 Aim high
01-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Aim high expect low meet in the middle... ? I am sure the concept of ships[s] would mean a trade in to upgrade economy.. As a player progresses.. in Tiers the old ships could be assigned to a 'fleet' or sector pool..
but on the idea of customs ships...
ones custom paint job my not be another's causing re re trick outs for new 'owner' But i did like the idea of a stable of ships... each mission could have a aspect that favours a different class of ship? so that old dingey Norway class DD may just be a good idea in a asteroid belt mine scouting mission?

Treat it like Hertz.. Sorry Mr.Bat The XJ8 is gone would you like a SLK instead... maybe a REd XKE?
Lt. Commander
# 114 Ideas That Should Be in
01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Hello I Watched All The Original star trek and next generation and deep space nine and voyager series.And i Think When You Start The Game You Should Start At The Bottom And Work Your way Up To Captain Meaning Getting Into Star Fleet Or Getting Into The Klingon Allience Or Becoming a Ferengi Captain.Then Have Different Classes Like Medical Field Or Enginerer Or Artifical Intellegence Or Trader.Then I WOuld Have it So You Could Get to rank Captain And Build A Ship Or Buy One Or Trade For One Or Be Assigned One.Then You Could Go Explore Planets Or Do Ship Battles.Also Have Quests In It Or Missions To Get You Better Parts Or Better Crew Mates Or Give Access To Privledge Places.If The Game Is Just Going To Be Ship Battleing Not mUch Fun And Gets Bord Real Quick.I,ve Played Everquest when it first Came out for 7 Years Ive also played e.v.e, wow,swg,everquest 2, Lotrol and What ive Learned Over The Years Of Playing Them Is listening To The Public Other Wise You Loose Your Community Like When swg Changed The Game drasticly And they Lost everyone Or Like When They Changed everquest And Made Everyone Very Powerfull With The New Expansions Past Plane Of Power. Well Good Luck With The Game And Make Sure You Listen To Everyone About How The Game Should Be Before Making Any Major Mistakes That WOuld Loose The Community. If The Game Is Just Going To Be Ship Battleing And Just Some exploration You Can Count Me out Of Playing The Game
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneas View Post
I think they just pull questions from the forum.
No, there's a stickied Ask Cryptic thread in the STO Discussion board.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Quote:
This is a universe at war, so combat will be a major factor, but there will also be a large component of exploration.
I'm not against combat in STO but I don't like that combat is set as a "major factor" and exploration is set as "component".
I thought those surveys on the front page serve a more complex purpose and one of those surveys showed that the majority of users prefer exploration over combat. I'm aware of that this is no democratic party at Cryptic's. But why are you choosing combat over exploration when it was shown so obviously that most people would like to have a "major factor" on exploration and a "component" of combat? Cryptic should put more efforts into exploration.

Exploration > Combat it's like game play > graphics

To end my negativity here, I like the rest of what I read in this Ask Cryptic and I'm so keen on getting more information on the Klingons.
How far are you in development with them Awen?
Lt. Commander
I am just glad they answered my question about the interactivety of NPCs, and about the amount of combat versus other kinds of missions.

I am glad that they intend to have missions where you don't simply clobber your way thru evil alien hordes.

Dispatching alien hordes may be fun, but it would be nice to have the occassional exploration, diplomatic, or puzzle mission where talents other than combat were key.

It will all come to how they balance this all out, and I am willing to wait and see.
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdee View Post
No, there's a stickied Ask Cryptic thread in the STO Discussion board.
Thank You! I did not look for it hard enough.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Personally, exploration/diplomacy strikes me as being much more of a significant factor in the life of a starship Captain than combat. I also like the suggestion someone made of puzzles. Maybe one day you're cruising along when the engines cut out, and it's down to you and your intrepid crew members to diagnose and then resolve the problem. Just a bit of variety compared to the monotonous implementation of combat/mining boredom offered by games like EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marscentral View Post
It does raise another question. How will naming work? Will my next ship have a new name or will it be USS Myship, USS Myship A etc.?
Not a bad idea