Lt. Commander
Some of this is very disapointing to me. See I went looking for an RP - MMO a while back, didn't find anything Start Trek, so I ended up on City of Heroes. I have been playing City of Heroes on and off nearly right from its begining. The customization has always been cool, combat works well, everything looks really good, but the big problem has been providing players with content. I was excited to hear about the aquisition, but I had hoped that Star Trek Online would feel less like a video game and more like online universe. Star Trek offers up decades of content and a very loyal fanbase. My biggest fear is that 'Fun for all' will win out and possibly alienate this loyal fanbase.

I'm not a Trekkie. I do not speak Klingon. I have never been to a convention. But I am a successful, professional 20 something with money to spend who really enjoys the concepts, the stories, and the world of Star Trek. I'm afraid that 'fun for all' at 15 bucks a month will last a short while and the game will die. I can't help but wonder if a game made for the loyal fanbase at 25 or 30 bucks a month (Realistically I'd spend $50 a month on a game I really enjoyed) would be more likely to survive.

"This is a universe at war, so combat will be a major factor, but there will also be a large component of exploration. You will get to meet new species, some of which you値l fight against, some of which you値l protect, and some of which you値l ally with. There won稚 be extensive dialogue trees, but you値l get to explore and have missions that don稚 involve just clobbering everybody." Quote from latest ask Cryptic (Jan. 7/09)

Even in times of war, Star Trek seemed to focus on culture, exploration, diplomacy, ect. This quote seems to elude to the fact that while these things will exsist in STO, it will be minimal and have little bearing on gameplay.

I know I would prefer a game where my interaction with a small unknown race or my ability to use diplomacy effectively with a hostile race would actually have just as much bearing on gameplay as blowing up a Borg Cube would. Don't get me wrong I'm all about blowing things up. But combat should be an equal part to the game, not the main part of the game.

For example, if you want to create a character with the "Class" Medical Officer purhaps your role (during earliy levels) isn't to take part in the fighting but to avoid the blasts while you take on the wounded and transport them to a starbase, as you develop more 'Reputation' in the Federation you are given more delicate missions like helping a dying race devolop and produce a cure for a fatal disease. Only when a Medical Officer is of a high enough level and has enough reputation would they command a ship into the heart of battle.

Anyways, I'm very excited for the launch and look forward to all the discussion leading up to that point. I really hope that Cryptic can use the rich history and loyal following of Star Trek to create something completely new in the gaming industry. If anything is going to do it, something with 'Star Trek' in it is a very likely candidate. lol

P.S. - Doesn't the Garage sound more video game than Online Universe?
Lt. Commander
# 192
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I would like to know if anybody will be able to play as the BORG?
Lt. Commander
# 193
01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakes View Post
Some of this is very disapointing to me. See I went looking for an RP - MMO a while back, didn't find anything Start Trek, so I ended up on City of Heroes. I have been playing City of Heroes on and off nearly right from its begining. The customization has always been cool, combat works well, everything looks really good, but the big problem has been providing players with content. I was excited to hear about the aquisition, but I had hoped that Star Trek Online would feel less like a video game and more like online universe. Star Trek offers up decades of content and a very loyal fanbase. My biggest fear is that 'Fun for all' will win out and possibly alienate this loyal fanbase.

I'm not a Trekkie. I do not speak Klingon. I have never been to a convention. But I am a successful, professional 20 something with money to spend who really enjoys the concepts, the stories, and the world of Star Trek. I'm afraid that 'fun for all' at 15 bucks a month will last a short while and the game will die. I can't help but wonder if a game made for the loyal fanbase at 25 or 30 bucks a month (Realistically I'd spend $50 a month on a game I really enjoyed) would be more likely to survive.

"This is a universe at war, so combat will be a major factor, but there will also be a large component of exploration. You will get to meet new species, some of which you値l fight against, some of which you値l protect, and some of which you値l ally with. There won稚 be extensive dialogue trees, but you値l get to explore and have missions that don稚 involve just clobbering everybody." Quote from latest ask Cryptic (Jan. 7/09)

Even in times of war, Star Trek seemed to focus on culture, exploration, diplomacy, ect. This quote seems to elude to the fact that while these things will exsist in STO, it will be minimal and have little bearing on gameplay.

I know I would prefer a game where my interaction with a small unknown race or my ability to use diplomacy effectively with a hostile race would actually have just as much bearing on gameplay as blowing up a Borg Cube would. Don't get me wrong I'm all about blowing things up. But combat should be an equal part to the game, not the main part of the game.

For example, if you want to create a character with the "Class" Medical Officer purhaps your role (during earliy levels) isn't to take part in the fighting but to avoid the blasts while you take on the wounded and transport them to a starbase, as you develop more 'Reputation' in the Federation you are given more delicate missions like helping a dying race devolop and produce a cure for a fatal disease. Only when a Medical Officer is of a high enough level and has enough reputation would they command a ship into the heart of battle.

Anyways, I'm very excited for the launch and look forward to all the discussion leading up to that point. I really hope that Cryptic can use the rich history and loyal following of Star Trek to create something completely new in the gaming industry. If anything is going to do it, something with 'Star Trek' in it is a very likely candidate. lol

P.S. - Doesn't the Garage sound more video game than Online Universe?
You are right, and for this reason I am glad cryptic has acquired the licence for STO. Although it does appear that battles will be a very large part of the game my research shows that it isn't the be all and end all. No one is really sure yet how the diplomacy and exploration part of the game will play out but it will be a large part of the game. It sounds like the only way to truely advance your ship, and civilization (whether you are Klingon, Romulan, Federation, etc.) will be through exploration.

I think your Idea for 'classes' more or less is great. Cryptic has said once the game is out, and is starting to develop they will be able to look at additional things to add like that with the first expansion, but to encompass everything trek is, and stands for on first release is not only going to make the game get pushed bac so far into the future we might as well all grab Bat'leths and train for the real world version.

So the first release sounds like it will be good but not have everything but more will come, they just need to let the game make them some money before they can poor ALL there resources into STO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoker View Post
I would like to know if anybody will be able to play as the BORG?
Short answer: No

Long Answer: One first release it will only be the Federation and Klingons, more will be coming. The Borg are too strong a faction for anyone to be able to play, you may be able to ad Borg attachments to your character because of the modifications that can be made to TO characters (think 7 of 9.)

The Borg as I understand will randomly show up in a sector and it will be every players responsibility to help irradiate them from that sector.

So long answer is no as well but at least you now know why.
Lt. Commander
Look folks,

I'm new on this pages, so please don't take me wrong if I repeat questions previously asked.

As far as I understand it will be two playable fractions (Federation & Klingons) and six races. How can people mix fraction and race, for instance Orion - Klingon Warior.

Second thing is can I know little bit more about basic idea of game dinamics. Could I for instance as Orion race, Klingon warior, tactical background recrute Betazed doctor in my crew?

Third thing: When can we expect to know which starship classes will get in what tier, for instance K'Pak for tier1, Bird of Pray for tier2, and so on.

Best regards,

Trpko
Lt. Commander
# 195
01-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Thx so much for the info
Lt. Commander
# 196
01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpko_62 View Post
Look folks,

I'm new on this pages, so please don't take me wrong if I repeat questions previously asked.

As far as I understand it will be two playable fractions (Federation & Klingons) and six races. How can people mix fraction and race, for instance Orion - Klingon Warior.
Yes, this is true, because of the time space in between the last movie and STO new alliances will have been forged. SO I imagine like an Orion, and Klingon relationship would be similar to the Federation, mixung just happens.

Quote:
Second thing is can I know little bit more about basic idea of game dinamics. Could I for instance as Orion race, Klingon warior, tactical background recrute Betazed doctor in my crew?
In theory yes.

Quote:
Third thing: When can we expect to know which starship classes will get in what tier, for instance K'Pak for tier1, Bird of Pray for tier2, and so on.

Best regards,

Trpko
This hasn't been released.
Lt. Commander
# 197 classes
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Ever so sorry if this has already been asked, theresalot of pages and little time, but will the Prometheus class be a ship be avalble, if so can you go into multi vector attack mode. and will the cheyenne class be avalible. and one last question will the steamrunner class starship be avalible. also can a shuttle be equiped to the ships, and can we launch them.

many thanks

Stephen Gray
Lt. Commander
# 198
01-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilweevil View Post
Ever so sorry if this has already been asked, theresalot of pages and little time, but will the Prometheus class be a ship be avalble, if so can you go into multi vector attack mode. and will the cheyenne class be avalible. and one last question will the steamrunner class starship be avalible. also can a shuttle be equiped to the ships, and can we launch them.

many thanks

Stephen Gray
We don't know all of the classes yet. I'm not sure about the Prometheus, Cheyenne, or Steamrunner. Shuttle crafts will be available, but not for us to pilot.
Lt. Commander
# 199
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Why dont you guys release a Starship creater/editor so we can play around with what you have come up with. Just a thought
Lt. Commander
# 200
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Look folks,Second thing is can I know little bit more about basic idea of game dinamics. Could I for instance as Orion race, Klingon warior, tactical background recrute Betazed doctor in my crew?
I don't think you'll be able to have a race from an opposing faction in your crew. Cryptic has stated that we'll be able to create our own races, so you'll probably be able to create a doctor with the same appearance and abilities as a Betazoid.

Personally, I'm planning on going with an all Klingon crew on my Klingon Empire faction ship. It just doesn't make sense to me to have non-Klingon bridge officers on a warship in the KDF. As Martok said, "We are Klingons. We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them." I just hope we don't get penalized for having only one race on our ship.