Lt. Commander
# 21
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
so would we get more prestege or money if we turn in our ships completely or just half for retiring them and keeping them for future use? cause more money means more resources to get other things and personnel.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
There has been discussion on the art direction. Can you tell us why you chose to design your characters and environments with bright, solid shade colors (for lack of a better word "Cartoony") rather than a more realism style like say, Oblivion or Age of Conan?
Woot! My question was answered.
Quote:
We’re aiming for a fantastical style, not a “cartoony” one. It’s going to look realistic, in terms of planets, environments, and characters, but we want to take it up a notch and make it feel more fantastic. We’re going to give it that sense of wonder and vibrancy that you expect from Star Trek.
See Poseidon, they aren't going for Cartoony....

They're going for bright, vibrant colors using Fantastic Art Style.
Which doesn't make sense from an artistic definition.

Sooo.... bright vibrant colors. That's the style. Highly detailed bright, vibrant colors.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post

Sooo.... bright vibrant colors. That's the style. Highly detailed bright, vibrant colors.
heh star treks always has gone mad on colors lol romulan being green dominion Purple..etc
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marscentral View Post
It does raise another question. How will naming work? Will my next ship have a new name or will it be USS Myship, USS Myship A etc.?
From a canon view point you'd get a lot of opposition for this, but from a gaming view point it would make sense. Otherwise you'd get a problem finding a new name that isn't taken yet.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Woot! My question was answered.

See Poseidon, they aren't going for Cartoony....

They're going for bright, vibrant colors using Fantastic Art Style.
Which doesn't make sense from an artistic definition.

When I read that TOS-style planets and and such kept running through my mind.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Cartoony, realistic, fantastic, whatever the graphics are, I like them.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I, personally, have never been one who believed that the art design for Star Trek Online - Cryptic's version, in particular - could be described as "cartoony." I felt the art design represented an appropriately realistic environment that I expect I'll be able to immerse myself in.

But - if I did believe the art design is "cartoony," the answer provided in this edition of Ask Cryptic wouldn't dissuade me of that belief, at all. I accept Cryptic's right to install the art design that it desires, fantastic or not, but I would not say that "fantastic" describes something comparable to televised Star Trek.

That's just as well - I was never a great fan of Star Trek's matte-painting style of portraying cityscapes and planetscapes. I'm glad that Cryptic is expressing its artistic creativity. I wouldn't argue that it's either comparable to Star Trek or particularly descriptive of Star Trek Online's artistic design. It's a non-answer.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
This is definitely one of the best installments of Ask Cryptic yet! I am definitely looking forward to the game more than ever now!
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info Gave some answers I think alot of people were looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Cartoonish...ugh.
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I still think it looks like a cartoon and I don't like the look.. Disappointing.