Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 61
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I finally figured out what bothers me so much about the asteroid image. It is not the fact that there are clipping issues and a poor job at modeling the building and asteroid to look well together. It is the scale. Something like the following would have been much better:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...eroid_base.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 62
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO View Post
I finally figured out what bothers me so much about the asteroid image. It is not the fact that there are clipping issues and a poor job at modeling the building and asteroid to look well together. It is the scale. Something like the following would have been much better:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...eroid_base.jpg
Depends on how big the Asteroid is. And how far it is from the camera.

Also: While it is clipping, it's intentional clipping. Think about this: If you don't need to build a wall and can use the natural rock, why would you bother to build a wall?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 63
01-08-2009, 03:35 PM
As Soldiers say

"WE LOVE IT ... WE LOVE IT ... WE WANT MORE OF IT HOAH"

Great Job Cryptic - Your always full of surprises.... The best of surprises.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 64
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Depends on how big the Asteroid is. And how far it is from the camera.

Also: While it is clipping, it's intentional clipping. Think about this: If you don't need to build a wall and can use the natural rock, why would you bother to build a wall?
It's the windows on the base. They are friggin huge if you compare them to the ports on the ship. That's why the scale seems off.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 65
01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
the graphics are inproving, i am looking forward to this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 66
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Proton View Post
It's the windows on the base. They are friggin huge if you compare them to the ports on the ship. That's why the scale seems off.
Wow you're right. They are freakishly big.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 67
01-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Something that concerns me is that in every screenshot of plantets, there are always asteroids too! It's true that a lot of planets have asteroid belts or some asteroids around, BUT SOME DO NOT.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 68 No Shadows!?
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I really don't like the asteroid screenshot. The shading of the buildings is just .. well almost non-existent. That GIANT light source behind the asteroid (the planet) and there are no shadows on the buildng's camera-side surface? The rock itself casts no shadow on the lower building? Portions of the buildings are so devoid of shadow that in the 2D-ness of a screen shot its hard to make out the actual depth/angles of various pieces/corners/spires/etc of the buildings.

This light source / shadow thing has bugged me on several of the screenshots released.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 69
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
Something that concerns me is that in every screenshot of plantets, there are always asteroids too! It's true that a lot of planets have asteroid belts or some asteroids around, BUT SOME DO NOT.
I can aleviate this one for ya.

Every single shot we've been shown?
Same exact planetary system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 70
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyceSTO View Post
I really don't like the asteroid screenshot. The shading of the buildings is just .. well almost non-existent. That GIANT light source behind the asteroid (the planet) and there are no shadows on the buildng's camera-side surface? The rock itself casts no shadow on the lower building? Portions of the buildings are so devoid of shadow that in the 2D-ness of a screen shot its hard to make out the actual depth/angles of various pieces/corners/spires/etc of the buildings.

This light source / shadow thing has bugged me on several of the screenshots released.
I agree I understand that these are pre alpha shots and all, but the screens seem really bright and devoid of contrast. I'm guessing that will all change the closer we get to launch though.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 PM.